Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes
    Need Ruby's face on the Darth fail...
    Maybe someone will figure out how to install another OS (Android,Microsoft). I have seen it done on other devices. The Touchpad hardware should be able to handle it.
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    This post serves only to debut my new sig before I'm gone for good.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    And there you have it!

BREAKING: HP shutting down webOS device operations, will "continue to explore options" | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Had nothing to do with Sprint or any other carrier.....HP buyout of Palm was a complete mess, execution was a complete messs...

So all those "I'm leaving Sprint when Insert Carrier Here releases the Pre 3"...Yea looks like you wont be getting the Pre 3 on those carriers either.
    Well, I'm in denial.

I'm reading it that HP is discontinuing webOS devices just like it's "discontinuing" the whole PSG. My only hope is that PSG continues with webOS devices and that's what the palm dev board posting is hinting at.

I know: denial. Either way, if the Pre3 compatible with ATT ever releases, I will buy it just to have webOS a little longer. Same for the TouchPad if and when those prices tumble further.
    well so no 2.0 for legacy devices, and I go get veer with 2.1 thinking something great is going to happen. Then it happens: the whole dang thing falls apart and I get smacked in the face again. I only hope they have the decency to push 2.x or better on out to us. Its the least they could do. And if not I guess it won't be hard to switch to android cuz I only paid a buck for veer @ bb
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by de_great View Post
    Maybe someone will figure out how to install another OS (Android,Microsoft). I have seen it done on other devices. The Touchpad hardware should be able to handle it.
    Hardware Is the TP's weak spot. If I'm going Android, the samsung, he'll even the Asus, hardware is far nicer than the TP.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0

Apr 29, 2010

“In a very short period of time, we’ve amassed a world-class team, brought webOS to market with widespread acclaim, launched four new devices and launched in eight countries. In short, we have delivered on our original plan.”
    Richard Kerris just tweeted:
    "#HPwebOS is an awesome software platform and now we can explore the best hardware partner for it. #onward."

I gotta say... good luck, bronco!
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    If I'm forced to go elsewhere, I won't be in any of those forums. I use 2 of the other OS's for work. No passion there, I use them because I have to.

Maybe Android will improve, but with even less competition, it's a little less likely.

@hellonnewman - Have always enjoyed reading your posts. But barring a very ambitious phone maker looking to take a chance, the sky has already fallen. The conventional wisdom will be "If HP, with all of their resources couldn't make it work (however badly they did it), nobody can."

In the corporate world of living from quarterly profit statement to quarterly profit statement, nobody want to take on a long term (expensive) project.

And if HP keeps the Palm intellectual property (and patents), how much value will the OS actually have. (See Meego, BEOS, Novell Netware, OS2, etc)

Wish you were right though...

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    milominderbinde likes this.
    I still like my Veer...
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    elvispre likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Either way, if the Pre3 compatible with ATT ever releases, I will buy it just to have webOS a little longer. Same for the TouchPad if and when those prices tumble further.
    You won't have a palm profile, app catalog or any commercial apps, let alone a document editor or remote desktop, etc.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surpass View Post
    OK. This OS, this device, this site is over. Here's what you can do about it. Don't get involved in an OS that is struggling along like Palm/webOS did for the past five years. It isn't worth it.

If the main reason you had a Palm device was that you are anti-Apple then you really should think about that - a lot. The iPhone is going to have a new model in the next couple of months. The iPad is still going like gangbusters.

Don't let the past five years happen to you again. There is all sorts of software out there that you don't have to wait for. It's been long enough. It's not worth it. It's just a smartphone. It's just a tablet. Get a good one this time.

There's nothing left for you here. There's no need to fight it, anymore.

A Friend
    I agree, and actually thought this since July 1st when it was apparent that HP barely bothered developing webOS at all for 3.0., even the damn bootchain is still untouched from launch. It would be nice not to be on the side of the underdog for a change, and while I don't like Apple, I actually don't like using iOS either. Massive row of icons and deep menus is not appealing, so WP7 is the next underdog for me
    ... these forums look like a pillaged village...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by de_great View Post
    Won't happen unless HP releases hardware driver code.
    Well, this is a sock in the gut. Given the total lack of information surrounding the Pre 3 and the fact that only 4 carriers in the world right now are carrying WebOS devices, I can't say I'm 100% surprised, but I didn't really expect THIS. I know there will be some die-hard faithful holding out for a WebOS revival, but it just doesn't seem possible at this point. Who's gonna do it??? If the largest tech company in the world couldn't breathe life into WebOS, I don't really see where to go. It's easy to blame HP and Palm for mismanagement (and there was plenty of it) and it's easy to blame carriers and retailers for not pushing WebOS enough, but the simple reality may be there just wasn't room with iOS and Android. If the Pre could have launched with better hardware and launched on multiple carriers at the outset, then WebOS might have stood a fighting chance. I can see WebOS ending up in textbooks as a perfect expample of a superior product losing out b/c of poor management/marketing/production etc. There were hardly ever any commercials for WebOS products, while I feel like I see iPad and Android commercials every single night. It's just been one mistake after another with WebOS since the very outset and, unfortunately, things didn't improve with HP at the wheel.

A very sad day indeed. This forum has been a GREAT place to share information and ideas and...most importantly...get my questions answered! I feel very bad for all those individuals who bought the TP and the Pre 3. I can't imagine any developer will be spending time on WebOS apps now
    They essentially are. It's gonna take a while for things to settle down.
    Well, here's this tweet from Richard Kerris, FWIW:

HPwebOS is an awesome software platform and now we can explore the best hardware partner for it.
    https://twitter.com/#!/richardkerris...91781906153472
    Quote Originally Posted by CareandShare View Post
    Sad time. Not sure what HP can do to "make this right", but I hope all of the awesome homebrew developers and Internals guys land on their feet elsewhere. It's been a pretty good ride.

- Mikah912.
    Cool on you for being gracious! As with Nokia, and many of the other "failures", real people are hurt in more than just their rooting loyalties.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    I invested over $600 in the 32GB Touchpad. I have not recieved my $50 credit for owning a previous Palm device. I have not recieved my (now worthless) $50 app credit. Everything I'm reading so far is pointing to this being true. Here is information posted on HP's own website:

HP Investor Relations - Financial news

Will I ever get my money back? I bought on day one and really loved this device until now. Without any support it is worthless. I don't like iOS on anything bigger than the iPod Touch and won't be going that route but at least Apple is rock solid reliable. Android has too many problems but I do have money invested in apps for it.

HP screwed up royally. How could anyone ever trust them or webOS from them ever again? I will check these forums and the main page over the next few days to figure out what steps to take next to get past this disaster.