Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes
    I want to be hopeful, but who’s going to want to license the OS after two separate companies handled it so poorly? And so much for any apps, or document editing ever, or anything like that.

I know companies don’t make sense always, but you have to expect slow sales (especially when releasing a buggy product), so I don’t get how you kill a product so soon after launch... And kill the Pre 3 even before any real launch. I could maybe understand killing production for a while, but these things are presumably already produced.

On twitter I read something along the lines of how does any consumer trust HP again, even for the likes of a print cartridge. But even for the enterprise, can you really trust their roadmap when they drop support so suddenly? I mean I guess we had the first hint of that with the Mojo to Enyo debacle and the lack of 2.0 on original phones, but then at least you could point to HP not being able to deliver on promises Palm made. Now it’s all on HP.

Only solution I see is open sourcing it entirely, but even then you still have the problem that nobody will want to waste money and effort on hardware for it.
    As said in "There Will Be Blood"

"I'm Finished!"
    Get real ppl, WebOS is dead. If HP keeps the OS and try to license it, who will buy it without apps in an environment with Apple, Android, and WP7? What developer will develop apps for an OS without a device or an OS with a device but very little mindshare?

The only value to WebOS are the Palm IPs. HP maybe looking the sale the Palm IPs to recoup some of it's money. I want be suprised if I wake up tomorrow and read an RSS feed that Google has purchased the Palm IPs from HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    My advice to the writers/editors: LiveBlog the 5pm conference call. My advice to everyone else: Don't read these forums until after the 5pm conference call.
    agreed.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Let's start the countdown for the closure of the App Catalog and online profiles...
    Palm ****ed me like this before...shame on me.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Only solution I see is open sourcing it entirely, but even then you still have the problem that nobody will want to waste money and effort on hardware for it.
    Let's say webOS was open sourced and free to use for any OEM that wants to ship a phone with it. How would you sell a phone with no apps, no back end ecosystem to hook into, and now no unifying vision to drive it?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Looks like Windows Phone 7 will be my next phone unless iPhone5 or ice cream sandwich knocks my socks off. Disappointing, I was hoping for a Pre3
    Again, I doubt if HTC or Samsung will want to touch WebOS. It's was the death knell for Palm and even the largest computer manufacturer are washing their hands of it. Why buy a product that is doomed and could potentially destroy your company?

Even Best Buy wanted no part in the WebOS brand. They want HP to take their junk back and like yesterday.
    Herk_FE likes this.
    time for a lawsuit for all those who bought it within the first month and now we are left a product that will most likely never see another update. this is seriously a ****ty development, and I will most likely never buy another HP product. I returned the ipad 2 for this tablet to show my support and now this.

Anyone wanna buy a 32gb TP with case and touchstone charger? lol
    This may have already been noted (if so, apologies) but to all the folks who are hoping/speculating that WebOS is licensed out, this statement:

"-PLANS TO ANNOUNCE THAT IT WILL DISCONTINUE OPERATIONS FOR WEBOS DEVICES, SPECIFICALLY THE TOUCHPAD AND WEBOS PHONES. "

tells me they are discontinuing DEVICES but much as they said way in the early days, they are hanging on to WebOS for their own purposes (toasters, et al).

This is very bad news for the mobile phone and tablet divisions, me thinks.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Owing to advertised but never delivered features I say a class action lawsuit is warranted unless HP takes these beta units back.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    "sometimes when we touch!!! The honesty's too much"
    Call for open source
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Yeah, I guess my TP will be for little kids with sticky fingers until I toss it or HP takes it back. Glad I didn't toss my iPad2.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Let's say webOS was open sourced and free to use for any OEM that wants to ship a phone with it. How would you sell a phone with no apps, no back end ecosystem to hook into, and now no unifying vision to drive it?
    Isn't that pretty much what I said? I clearly said I didn't know why anyone would still build hardware for it.

Here's hoping Matias can make Android's inteface tolerable fast.
    Who want webOS on their toaster/over/mwave...? Not me.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Just glad that I took my Touchpad back yesterday and got a full refund. Whew!!
    ogeneo likes this.
    I'm still holding out a tiny amount of hope that someone will license webOS. I still want a Pre3 and a Touchpad. (or whatever they may become...)