Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Android isn't open source
    no?

What about the cyanogenmod project?

About the project | CyanogenMod

http://source.android.com/
    HTC or Samsung selling Web OS products is like rearranging chairs on the Titanic.
    JonVon and milominderbinde like this.
    Well, that was quick! I feel violated. Thank goodness I got my TouchPad at the Staples price point.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Not surprised
    Quote Originally Posted by surpass View Post
    OK. This OS, this device, this site is over. Here's what you can do about it. Don't get involved in an OS that is struggling along like Palm/webOS did for the past five years. It isn't worth it.

If the main reason you had a Palm device was that you are anti-Apple then you really should think about that - a lot. The iPhone is going to have a new model in the next couple of months. The iPad is still going like gangbusters.

Don't let the past five years happen to you again. It's not worth it. It's just a smartphone. It's just a tablet. Get a good one this time.

There's nothing left for you here. There's no need to fight it, anymore.

A Friend
    This is excellent advice. It will require a bit of a learning curve after 3 years of using webOS but I think most of you will be pleasantly surprised to see just how good other platforms are.
    I'm crossing HP off my list for consumer products. Not just because of dumping webOS, but I really have to question who is making decisions over there. $1.2 billion invested without a plan. I gave them credit for having a plan B (rebates) and maybe C and D. But, t looks like they just had Plan A and if that didn't work, throw in the towel.

If the money was spent just for Palm's patent portfolio why even waste all the money on advertising, distribution, and rebranding of what was left on Palm's workbenches.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I have been a loyal Palm fan from even the Palm Pilot Days. I think alot of you are the same. I still have my Sprint Palm from the original June release. Cracked screen and all. Where do we go from here. Move to Android or iPhone? What are all the Palm fans going to do.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    2011 - 2009 != 5.
    Tigrao likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    This is excellent advice. It will require a bit of a learning curve after 3 years of using webOS but I think most of you will be pleasantly surprised to see just how good other platforms are.
    Symbian here I come!
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    aerojb likes this.
    Why buy Palm if you don't want into the mobile device business and don't want to run webOS?

Saying HP won't succeed with webOS has been trendy these past few months, but saying that HP is going to drop webOS like a hot stone, while very chic last Winter, has gone out of fashion since the February event.

So why even announce three devices and a commitment to bringing the platform to PCs, printers and "other form factors" in the future? Why go ahead and manufacture and launch these devices?
    Why, if all you're going to do is kill the platform half a year later?

Why make an initial $1,2bn investment to break into a market you're not interested in, and why invest further money into the platform if you're going to kill it?

This doesn't make any sense at all. Not even the slightest bit.

You know, I always stuck up for HP, saying that everybody should give those Ivy League business and engineering fellows from a corporation that has been one of the top names in technology for decades the benefit of the doubt and maybe cut them some slack while they're working to build an environment, which can't be done in a day.

I may have been wrong all along. Maybe HP is, in fact, ruled by people who don't know today where they're gonna lead the company next week. If so, I apologize to all the "trolls" and naysayers - you are a bunch of cynical fellows, but I see that all cynicism may not be without reason.

Then again, HP looks to be spinning off their entire Personal Systems Group - i.e. the part of HP that competes with Samsung, Dell, Motorola and Apple.
    Leo Apotheker obviously wants to turn HP into a straight competitor to SAP and Oracle and IBM, without any pesky consumer systems to worry about.

So maybe that spun-off PSG will keep webOS alive on their PCs and printers and license it out to dedicated mobile-device manufacturers like Samsung or HTC that are looking to diversify because their Android shipments *will* take dire hits when official Motogoogle devices start hitting the market.

But yes, this is bad news, and I'm going to go as far as to say that even the people on here with the most contempt for HP were surprised to hear it.

HP buying webOS and killing would have been one thing.
    HP buying webOS and failing to win sufficient marketshare after some real prolonged effort would have been another thing.

But HP buying webOS, making bold statements about the future of mobile devices and webOS' place in it at big-stage keynote events, and THEN killing webOS in the very same week the Pre3 starts shipping is another thing entirely.

This is just all sorts of weird and sad.

How come all the best, most brilliant products get mishandled by management hacks? Macintosh back in the 80s and 90s when it was genuinely better than Windows; Betamax; Dreamcast; webOS.
    LCGuy, Hobbz and i_maq like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    I'm crossing HP off my list for consumer products...
    Actually it was HP who crossed us off their list.
    runukraine and thesaint05 like this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    No. They paid for a patent portfolio. For which $1.2b may end up being a bargain.
    It was a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Actually it was HP who crossed us off their list.
    Touche'
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Why make an initial $1,2bn investment to break into a market you're not interested in, and why invest further money into the platform if you're going to kill it?.
    I guess they thought it would work and found out very quickly it wouldn't. Either that or it was a Mark Hurd decision that Leo is trying to fix as quickly as possible.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Call me stupid, but I still want to buy a Pre 3 (with a NA comms board in it,)
    Might have to buckle and buy an eu model so I can at least use it outside
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
  16.    #196  
    Not going to do anything. I don't see the announcement as the earth-shaker that everyone seems to think. HP could simply have been poorly saying that they will quit making the hardware in-house (which would mean outsourcing webOS). I'm not jumping anywhere because screams of "the sky is falling".
    Mark Hurd bought palm. Not Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    I'm crossing HP off my list for consumer products. Not just because of dumping webOS, but I really have to question who is making decisions over there. $1.2 billion invested without a plan. I gave them credit for having a plan B (rebates) and maybe C and D. But, t looks like they just had Plan A and if that didn't work, throw in the towel.

If the money was spent just for Palm's patent portfolio why even waste all the money on advertising, distribution, and rebranding of what was left on Palm's workbenches.
    If Hp Is Ditching TP Then no More Updates. Somone Might as well port another OS to the TP like Android or Something :/
    Hmmm.....I think I'll get an abacus...works with or without the 'cloud'! Can you make calls on an abacus?

Look, I don't have the time to look through the 200 posts already in this thread, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but how long will my palm/hp profile be supported? I am still under contract with my Verizon Pre+, so how long will my phone's profile be supported and maintained? I might be able to get a new phone in a couple months (have to go and look at my contract dates again) so I at least want it to last until then. And I like using my phone...I don't necessarily want to switch to another OS if I can continue to use this one.

So, what will be the options?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Call me stupid, but I still want to buy a Pre 3 (with a NA comms board in it,)
    Might have to buckle and buy an eu model so I can at least use it outside
    Expect them to show up at your local electronics liquidator.

$50 BNIB Pre 3s might not be a bad idea to pick up. I can then stockpile them and toss it out if one breaks. :P
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here