Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, New touchpad user here. How am I supposed to download files from the web? I click on links, the download window opens with the filename there, I click "download" and nothing happens. I installed a file browser app and looked in my downloads folder in the file system and it's empty. I've rebooted multiple times, and tried lots of different files from different websites.
    artemonster likes this.
    what are you downloading specifically?
  3.    #3  
    i've tried lots of different files - .pdf, .txt, .doc,
    cjf243 likes this.
    If you have an example we can try and download and see if it's something we can replicate.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If you have an example we can try and download and see if it's something we can replicate.
    basically go to any website that has a link to a file or if you use dropbox try it from the browser.
    I'm having this same problem. Trying to download pdf files off our school's 'blackboard' server and once I click download, it acts like it's going to do it for about 1 second, then the download button reappears. Nothing downloads. I've tried multiple pdf files. Any suggestions??

I also tried this with a .docx file and it didn't download.
    marc25v, is259 and brum like this.
    hit the history/bookmarks button in the browser then hit the last icon which is downloads, are your files in there?
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    hit the history/bookmarks button in the browser then hit the last icon which is downloads, are your files in there?
    Negatory :-/
    Does this work?
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

I am able to download this so it may be an issue with the site you are using.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foolioh4x View Post
    I'm having this same problem. Trying to download pdf files off our school's 'blackboard' server and once I click download, it acts like it's going to do it for about 1 second, then the download button reappears. Nothing downloads. I've tried multiple pdf files. Any suggestions??

I also tried this with a .docx file and it didn't download.
    I have tried to do the same with WebCT Blackboard and it just downloads a file called ServiceLoginManager (and not the actual file). The file it downloads has no extension, but if I rename to .txt I can open it and discover it is an html page.
    is259 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by marc25v View Post
    I have tried to do the same with WebCT Blackboard and it just downloads a file called ServiceLoginManager (and not the actual file). The file it downloads has no extension, but if I rename to .txt I can open it and discover it is an html page.
    I get the same thing downloading attachments from GMail using the web interface (can't do a server-side email search from the mail app..... grrrr). File is a HTML page indicating that access is not authorised, etc... My instincts say that the download manager is not sending the browser cookies; can't confirm until I get home to the TP and test my theory with Wireshark. At the same time, I'm sceptical that it is the case because I just can't believe that something like that would pass QA.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Actually the easiest way to duplicate the issue is opening docs.google.com directly from the browser. Then select an existing document and press the download button. You will see that Google will download a sort of "login" html file with no extension at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    Does this work?
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

I am able to download this so it may be an issue with the site you are using.
    As soon as I typed that in my browser on the TP, it downloaded with no problem. I tried .ppt .docx .pdf files off of Blackboard and none of them worked. Then, I got on the computer, downloaded those same files to my dropbox account, and they opened right up on the TP from dropbox (quickoffice). Rather curious. Anyone have any slick ideas on how to cure that?
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...=16600&start=0

BAH! It's a known issue. That really sucks very, very badly.
    brum likes this.
    Argh! They've had over 2 YEARS and haven't fixed it? There's no handy dev solution in preware is there?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foolioh4x View Post
    Argh! They've had over 2 YEARS and haven't fixed it? There's no handy dev solution in preware is there?
    where did you see 2 years? I hope it hasn't been this long!
    FYI - the bug number is apparently NOV-83974, but I can't seem to find a bug tracker anywhere.

I have seen old threads on here about the possibility of preCentral hosting a bug tracker, but to no avail. I'm wondering if webos-internals would host one in their Redmine instance?
    Quote Originally Posted by marc25v View Post
    where did you see 2 years? I hope it hasn't been this long!
    Hah. Oops.. I was looking at "Joined: Jul 2009" on the hp forums. My bad Guess it's a relatively new problem. Hoping someone can find a fix soon, though!
    Bug confirmed, I too cannot download files of my university's Blackboard. I just tried downloading a PDF file but it kept reverting back to the 'download' button no matter how many times I clicks. I suspect it has something to do with encrypted downloads as I remember I tried downloading an email attachment from my browser and it also didn't work.
    is259 and heather70732 like this.
    Same issue here. Not able to download docs from blackboard or any secure websites. Seems browser related like it can't get the right credentials.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast