Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1.    #1  
    People blamed poor Pre/Plus/2 sales on providers not pushing the device enough and not knowing enough about WebOS. Now people want to blame Best Buy for shooting down the TP. Have any of you been into a carrier store (VZW, Sprint, AT&T, etc) or a Best Buy lately? The people working there are NOT tech wizards. They don't hire electrical and computer engineers to work the sales floor at Best Buy. Go into Best Buy and ask someone about anything...cell phone, camera, flash drive, Dyson Air Multiplier...and you'll get a pretty vague, generic response. UNLESS they happen to own one of whatever it is you're asking about, then they'll tell you about theirs. Every time I have gone to buy ANY electronic (phone, laptop, whatever) I've learned more in my online research than the sales staff in the store knows. I've never, never, never, never had a salesperson be able to give me a thoughtful overview of all my options. There's really no reason they should be able to either. Unless it's your full-time job to keep up with mobile platforms or emerging computing technologies, it's pretty impossible to do. And this isn't a criticism of those workers. It's not their job to know the ins and outs of every operating system or technology. Many are just working part-time to make extra money or working their way through college. A friend of mine was hired at a Best Buy, having never sold an electronic device in his life, and in less than a week, he was selling $2,000 televisions to people. He didn't know the first thing, other than what any average Joe could find out online. If HP's plan was to put the fate of TP sales into the hands of the average worker at Best Buy, then that is HP's mistake. I'm not mad at some part-time employee at Best Buy for not knowing all the nitty gritty details of WebOS. When you factor on top of that the fact that the TP models on display were horribly crippled, all of the blame falls onto HP for this one.
    I think the problem is that back in the good old days, you could go into a store and ask any question and get an intelligent answer about everything they sold. In the days of big box retailers, however, this rarely if ever happens.

You cannot take responsibility for sales performance off of the know little retail associates and their careless employers.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Q. What's the difference between a computer salesman and a car salesman?

A. A car salesman knows when he's lying to you....

Sorry, old joke.
    C-Note, spud101, sledge007 and 2 others like this.
    I think the simple truth is that people that follow these type of tech devices do not use the brick and mortar store route any longer to make their purchases, henceforth why the TouchPad sales numbers are much better on sites such as Amazon. In my case, it has been over 3 years since I've walked into an actual store to purchase a tech device.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I think the problem is that back in the good old days, you could go into a store and ask any question and get an intelligent answer about everything they sold. In the days of big box retailers, however, this rarely if ever happens.

You cannot take responsibility for sales performance off of the know little retail associates and their careless employers.
    Was HP forced to sell the TP at Best Buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Was HP forced to sell the TP at Best Buy?
    Partially. It's kind of like selling cars. Technically Ford doesn't 'need' 20 dealerships in one city, but the more places you have to show off your devices/cars/unitards, the better.

You have to go into a store to pick the thing up before you will buy it and keep it.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

I think Occam's Razor applies here. The simple answer could be people just don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a tablet running a niche operating system, lacking in the apps they want to use, and is bulkier than the competition.
    TechFan#WN, slbailey1 and Corpora like this.
    I can blame Best Buy for ordering 240,000 Touchpads thats waaaayyy too many!...Those numbers are fishy I could see 100,000 to start off with... The AllthingsD article lost all credibility with me when it started spewing those types of numbers... Best Buy would have to be really dumb to order so many of a first generation product in a brand new market in this economy...
    Last edited by dj ozone; 08/17/2011 at 01:58 PM.
    RafRol, hparsons and Weaser999 like this.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm not mad at some part-time employee at Best Buy for not knowing all the nitty gritty details of WebOS. When you factor on top of that the fact that the TP models on display were horribly crippled, all of the blame falls onto HP for this one.
    If a TV is turned off, its up to the BB employee to turn it on. Most people won't buy a TV if it is turned off. If a TV's color is screwed up (because another customer messed with the settings) its up to the BB employee to reset them.

Customer's rarely will buy a TV if they can't look at it, and they won't buy it if its colors are screwed up, when comparing to other models that are fine.
    i can't help it feel like this is just executive posturing by BB. i thought i read in the article that BB managers told their sales associates not to match the staple $100 discount even though they had a lot of interest in the product at that price point.

just because BB didn't do the $100 coupon doesn't mean they aren't planning to. i'm thinking that that $100 coupon went against the staples margin, right? so maybe BB is just threatening to return all the TPs that they ordered just so HP can eat some of that $100 coupon. and that at some point, WHEN hp agrees...we'll see BB offer that staple discount and finally start to move the products out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think Occam's Razor applies here. The simple answer could be people just don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a tablet running a niche operating system, lacking in the apps they want to use, and is bulkier than the competition.
    Or simply those who want tablets already got one.

I'm just waiting for that tablet bubble to burst.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    threed61#WN likes this.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think the OS is largely irrelevant - it's all down to promotion. Here's a really simply example that is indicative - go to apple.com and find the ipad, then go to hp and find the touchpad - then compare what you find on those two pages (also as a real small example of the different in approach - compare the urls).
    It's not just Best Buy though. There's another report out that says HP sold 100 (one hundred!) TouchPads in the UK since launch.

At some point you have to take a step back and objectively consider why the TouchPad isn't selling. Were you surprised when the PlayBook flopped? Probably not, right? I mean, who wants to pay a few hundred bucks for a tablet running an operating system that nobody supports? Outside of webOS enthusiast communities, the TouchPad is the exact same thing.
    r-nice likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    I can blame Best Buy for ordering 270,000 Touchpads thats waaaayyy too many!...Those numbers are fishy I could see 100,000 to start off with... The AllthingsD article lost all credibility with me when it started spewing those types of numbers... Best Buy would have to be really dumb to order so many of a first generation product in a brand new market in this economy...
    yeah, it does sound a little much. how many best buys locations are there? 1,300 or so? that's like 200 units per store! sounds like bad inventory management. i'm not a business major but i thought JIT is the thing to do nowadays...

when i called my costco, they said they were expecting 20 units.
    all of the blame falls onto HP for this one.
    Absolutely have to disagree with this.

You expect HP to man every BestBuy store because BestBuy hires part-time lumps? Where does it then stop? Walmart also? Target? AT&T?

Now if you had made the suggestion that HP needs to open it's own HP Store like Apple and have competent staff there, then that would be a suggestion (that will never happen in mass)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    I can blame Best Buy for ordering 240,000 Touchpads thats waaaayyy too many!...Those numbers are fishy I could see 100,000 to start off with... The AllthingsD article lost all credibility with me when it started spewing those types of numbers... Best Buy would have to be really dumb to order so many of a first generation product in a brand new market in this economy...
    From BB's perspective, yeah, that didn't make sense. But you could look at it from the other side and say that they were just really optimistic about how many they could sell. Why would they buy 240,000 if there was some BB conspiracy to prevent sales of the TP?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyRadar View Post
    If a TV is turned off, its up to the BB employee to turn it on. Most people won't buy a TV if it is turned off. If a TV's color is screwed up (because another customer messed with the settings) its up to the BB employee to reset them.

Customer's rarely will buy a TV if they can't look at it, and they won't buy it if its colors are screwed up, when comparing to other models that are fine.
    I don't believe this is BB's fault. From what I understand, the display models didn't come with fully functional versions of WebOS. Nothing BB can do about that.
    Best Buy did it to themselves. I went to many Best Buy stores and they all had terrible displays with non functional Touchpads. The employees had no knowledge of the Touchpad and only seemed interested in selling me Ipads. If thats the way you try to sell a product then obviously you will not do well.

I think if a large retailer orders 270,000 units, you would expect them to at least make the effort to sell them. I wouldn't take back a single unit from Best Buy if I was HP.

Most of the Touchpad demo models I wanted to try in the Best Buy stores were not powered up! At some stores there were Ipad accessories on the HP display table!!
    Last edited by splisskin; 08/17/2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: new post above
    Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
    Absolutely have to disagree with this.

You expect HP to man every BestBuy store because BestBuy hires part-time lumps? Where does it then stop? Walmart also? Target? AT&T?

Now if you had made the suggestion that HP needs to open it's own HP Store like Apple and have competent staff there, then that would be a suggestion (that will never happen in mass)
    HP could definitely do a better job of defining what the TouchPad is and giving us a reason to buy it. I see the Pacman and Lea Michelle commercials a couple times a day but they don't show any functionality that can't be done on an iPad.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Partially. It's kind of like selling cars. Technically Ford doesn't 'need' 20 dealerships in one city, but the more places you have to show off your devices/cars/unitards, the better.

You have to go into a store to pick the thing up before you will buy it and keep it.
    But it was still HP's final decision. They could have done more to educate people sales staff about WebOS and the TP. They could have done A LOT more. They also could have marketed it more. To this point, I've still only seen 2 or 3 commercials for the TP and thev've all been that chick from Glee. I saw at least 2 iPad and 1 iPhone commercial last night alone in the hour or so I had my TV on.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast