Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    After the questionable news of Best Buy TouchPad sales numbers I wanted to start a thread that asks this simple question.

Did anyone at all have a positive experience when they went to Best Buy to check out the TouchPad?

If so, I'd like to hear details.

Where the salespeople knowledgeable and helpful?

Did the display units actually work?

I think this is a reasonable question to ask because all we ever really hear about is the negative stories.

No one thinks its really Best Buy's fault that the TouchPad sold so poorly at their stores, right?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Nope. There was an HP Rep but that was pretty much it..

Pathetic showing IMO.
    I would participate if it actually help changing anything, but will it?

The bestbuy I went to was fine, the sales guy was nice, said he likes it.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    1 BestBuy had a guy in an HP shirt and I took no issue with that store. Another BB however had no one with any knowledge.

Oddly enough, I was in Radio Shack about a week ago and the guys there actually tried to sell me a TouchPad. Even said it was "cool", LOL. He must have been one of our members because he kind of lit up when I told him I already have 1.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    The best buy here has like 8 touchpads on their own dedicated display. 6 were working the 2 that weren't were because some <jerk> broke the charging cables.

There was a HP rep hovering and showing everyone she could her touchpad it's apps and everything else. In the 30-40 mins I was in there checking out Android tabs I did not see 1 TP walk out the door.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/18/2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: rude comment
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    My experience was mixed. I wanted a tablet and was choosing amongst iPad, Toshiba, and HP (iPad in the mix because I have an iPhone). I did ask a salesperson for info and they did not have a lot of HP info. The display of HP was pretty good, though. Had it's own endcap and was the first tablet from the front door, followed by a row of droids, then the Apple endcap. But they were not (and still are not) updated. The salesperson said he wished they could take a TP home and play with it so they could better advise customers. Ended up buying an iPad, which I returned within two days. To me it was just a big iPhone that didn't make calls. (I allowed friends and coworkers to steer me to that purchase, the BB guy did not, he supported either, actually asked me what I would use it for, etc.)

Back to BB a few days after returning iPad. Played with TP and found a different salesperson who had been on vacation during the big price drop week. He said he thought HP would support the product and said he liked the multi-tasking (this guy way more up on computer stuff than the first). Bought it. Returned the first one due to screen problem and moved up to the 32GB one. Almost returned it due to wifi software issues, but have decided to wait it out.

Note-- I have had it a week and just now really figured out how to 'minimize' (or would it be 'recard') the open program. They could have better how-tos available rather than just tell me how great the TTS is.
    No. Even the HP rep didn't know anything about the TouchPad. I trained more of the staff (including a Geek Squad guy) than HP apparently did.
    JonVon likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    No. That's why I purchased from Staples.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    The Best Buy employee turned me over to the HP Rep on Launch Day. I told the HP rep I did not need to be sold, I was going to buy one that day anyhow since I was already familiar with it and webOs
    Yes. Was at the best buy in union square NY. Their was an HP/Palm rep standing right there, asking me if I needed help etc. I was ready to buy it when I came in though.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    No. That's why I purchased from Staples.
    Same here, but went to HHGregg where they were very helpful and didn't try to sway me one way or another. I had already decided to buy one before going in there though. Left Best Buy because couldn't get anyone to help me after being there 30 minutes.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I was at BB this weekend, basically wasting time, and ended up at the TP display. Spoke to a very nice, knowledglable HP employee. She was able to answer most of my questions. She seemed a bit miffed when I told her that Costco was selling it for $20 less, with a case, no less, but she said she couldn't match that price. I didn't buy it from there, but overall, I'd say it was a good experience.
    One of my best buy's didn't have it, another one had it but didn't have everything set up all the way. I went to check out and the guy said they're going pretty quickly, then mentioned the ipad 2. ****.
    Sprint Love
    I did. But that was because there was a Galaxy Tablet guy there and he was clueless..

So really, BestBuy sucks period. I expect nothing from them when I go in there other than I will be hassled by clueless people.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    This question is funny to me because honestly does anyone ever have a good experience in best buy? The sales reps are about as knowledgeable on tech as most peoples grandparents are. They pressure you to buy service plans. They are wandering around like the zombie apocalypse has started and they are searching for brains. Best buy is a necessary evil I endure when I want to touch a product I am probably going to buy online.
    Mixed. There was an HP rep there on one day, and he had a small crowd around him.

Every other time I went by, nothing. The display units were up and running.

I pre-ordered one there, left a deposit, never got notified it was available. There was one gal there who at least knew what the HTP was and how to pre-order it.

Edit:

To be fair, I have shopped at our local Best Buy many times, and the staff are always friendly, even if the knowledge level (of just about any product) is lacking. I suspect they don't pay that much, and the really knowledgeable people move on to better paying jobs. The HTP DID have it's own kiosk, unlike the multitude of Android tabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksevern View Post
    My experience was mixed. I wanted a tablet and was choosing amongst iPad, Toshiba, and HP (iPad in the mix because I have an iPhone). I did ask a salesperson for info and they did not have a lot of HP info. The display of HP was pretty good, though. Had it's own endcap and was the first tablet from the front door, followed by a row of droids, then the Apple endcap. But they were not (and still are not) updated. The salesperson said he wished they could take a TP home and play with it so they could better advise customers. Ended up buying an iPad, which I returned within two days. To me it was just a big iPhone that didn't make calls. (I allowed friends and coworkers to steer me to that purchase, the BB guy did not, he supported either, actually asked me what I would use it for, etc.)

Back to BB a few days after returning iPad. Played with TP and found a different salesperson who had been on vacation during the big price drop week. He said he thought HP would support the product and said he liked the multi-tasking (this guy way more up on computer stuff than the first). Bought it. Returned the first one due to screen problem and moved up to the 32GB one. Almost returned it due to wifi software issues, but have decided to wait it out.

Note-- I have had it a week and just now really figured out how to 'minimize' (or would it be 'recard') the open program. They could have better how-tos available rather than just tell me how great the TTS is.
    Ya TTS seems gimmicky and it was strange that they were pushing it so far before anything could actually do it. "let me tell you about this amazing thing that you can do!"

I don't have a TP, but I find it strange that they went the opposite way on the intro demo. On the Pre and Pixi they were a pain in the *** on initial start up, but if you didn't know how to use the device they did their job.
    The Best Buy I went to near launch-day had two TPs out on their own display. Both were working, but neither were even connected to the internet. I asked one of the salesguy to connect it to the internet so that I could try it out. It took him close to 5 minutes trying to figure out the passwords and such but in the end he was successful. There was an HP "rep" aka one of those people hired by that marketing company there hovering around on the weekends. He was NOT very knowledgable and came off more as a slick-willy salesman than anything. Kind of embarassing actually. One of the BB salesguy (not the guy I talked to regarding internet connection) was actually quite interested in webOS, so I spent about 10-15 minutes walking him through all the features and benefits of webOS. He said that they'd gotten NO training about the TP at all at that store. This is the main Best Buy store in a very busy area of this metropolis.

A few weeks later when I was back for about 15-20 minutes. During that time I heard about 3 instances of salesguy with customers selling other products. One didn't even webOS as a choice and basically walked customers away/past the TP display w/o even an acknowledgement. The second told the couple that there was the iPad and Android. The third guy did mention webOS, but said to not get it.

The second Best Buy I went to was a Best Buy Mobile in the premier high-end shopping center of this metropolis. I didn't go there to look at the TP but just so happen to see it there on the two trips I had to make there. The first time, the TP was stuck/frozen looking all sad on a display alongside all the other tables, while all the iProducts have their own wall at eye level. I found it strange that all the other tablets looked like they were taken cared of except for the TP. I'm not going to jump to any conclusion. I rebooted the TP and got it working again while I waited.

About 10 days later, I was at that Best Buy again, and saw that the TP was again in an unusable state. This time, it looked like the charger cable had been damaged or something and was probably not charging. It wouldn't power on at all. Both time, none of the people who worked there seems to care that the TP was the only tablet that wasn't working out of the bunch.

So... I guess I have not had any positive experiences.
    It's absolutely, undoubtedly Best Buy's fault this thing isn't selling. If some of us faithfuls actively acted as salespeople in Best Buys for one day, we'd sell more than they already have.

I'd be willing to bet on it.
    JonVon likes this.
    I actually got approached by a Best Buy employee when he saw me looking at the Touchpad (4 weeks after I already bought it, I was just bored).

He immediately started telling me how cool it was. I told him I already have one, and he showed me that he does to, he was carrying it around. We started talking about how cool it was and he clearly thought it was their best tablet.

I suspect this is a one-of-a-kind experience.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast