1.    #1  
    I am Uni student and all our notes of my course are stored on something called a virtual learning environment, suing software called Blackboard. When ever I try downloading files off there, such as PDF's, .doc, .pptx etc, I only seem to be able to download 1.2kb (ish) HTML file and the IT staff seem to be convinced that its a problem with the browser. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

James
    Last edited by jasimpson90; 08/17/2011 at 09:47 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Any idea on this because this is pretty vital to my touchpad actually doing this else it will have to go back , and I'll have to get an iPad 2 which I would really rather not do but it is looking this way
    [img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-eQXNclxhYs/TDBmhbklzgI/AAAAAAAAABw/7VDyA8eJL4E/newlogosmaller.png
    do you have access to a service like dropbox or do you have a blog? if you do, try d/l the file from your computer and posted to either one of those sites, and then try re-downloading from your TouchPad. that way, you can isolate the problem and see if it is with the TouchPad, or with the site that those files are on.

not saying that the IT people is wrong or right, but a lot of time people will just blame whatever's easiest to make their lives easier...
  4.    #4  
    Totally agree with the past sentiment.

Well yes that does work however this isn't really a solution because notes are released onto the VLE at arbitrary times so really I need access to the VLE on the go. The HTML file seems to be some re-direct to another location. Whats really weird is that it works fine in all other browsers including honeycomb and iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasimpson90 View Post
    Totally agree with the past sentiment.

Well yes that does work however this isn't really a solution because notes are released onto the VLE at arbitrary times so really I need access to the VLE on the go. The HTML file seems to be some re-direct to another location. Whats really weird is that it works fine in all other browsers including honeycomb and iPad.
    You misread my suggestion... I'm not suggesting you d/l on a computer and re-upload the files somewhere else every time you need a file. I'm saying just do it with one or two files as a test, in order to determine whether the problem is with the TouchPad's browser or if it is with your school's website and the way it is coded/hosted/whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasimpson90 View Post
    I am Uni student and all our notes of my course are stored on something called a virtual learning environment, suing software called Blackboard. When ever I try downloading files off there, such as PDF's, .doc, .pptx etc, I only seem to be able to download 1.2kb (ish) HTML file and the IT staff seem to be convinced that its a problem with the browser. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

James

Just to clarify, are you using Blackboard? If so, there is a free WebOS Blackboard app in the App Catalog though I am not sure if it scales up on the Touchpad. I would download that and see how it works.

I used the app on my Pre- for about 4 months and it worked pretty well and I was able to download documents to the phone without problem. The app is not very refined ( for ex. you have to select your university/college almost every time you open the app) but it's not that bad. I did a lot of discussion posts from my phone using it.
    I am, therefore I think
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Just to clarify, are you using Blackboard? If so, there is a free WebOS Blackboard app in the App Catalog though I am not sure if it scales up on the Touchpad. I would download that and see how it works.

I used the app on my Pre- for about 4 months and it worked pretty well and I was able to download documents to the phone without problem. The app is not very refined ( for ex. you have to select your university/college almost every time you open the app) but it's not that bad. I did a lot of discussion posts from my phone using it.
    Yea I had a look at that app but my uni doesn't support which is really anyoing. Thanks for the suggestion though. Looks like the TP will have to go back
    [img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-eQXNclxhYs/TDBmhbklzgI/AAAAAAAAABw/7VDyA8eJL4E/newlogosmaller.png
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Yeah, not always. Your school has to shell out a ton of money to get this 'feature' available.

Let me ask the folks who run Blackboard at the Uni I work at and see if they have something to say about it. Generally Blackboard (and lots of enterprise web apps) have been very unusable on webkits until very recently. PeopleSoft is another example.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by eberon View Post
    Yeah, not always. Your school has to shell out a ton of money to get this 'feature' available.

Let me ask the folks who run Blackboard at the Uni I work at and see if they have something to say about it. Generally Blackboard (and lots of enterprise web apps) have been very unusable on webkits until very recently. PeopleSoft is another example.
    That is very kind of you thanks very much, it is much appreciated. But I think that even if I am able to get this to work the PDF reader isn't really good enough to handle me reading documents off it. That said would be very interesting to hear what those folks have to say. I also did realize, it was such a problem to run on a web kit browser, like I said the iPad (which i believe is webkit), chrome and the andriod browser seem to handle it fine.

Thanks

James