Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree31Likes
    Touchpad sales, no matter how poor would not account for a 4% drop for a company the size of HP. Even if there were absolutely 0 sales, that is not a large enough % of HP's business to account for the stock change.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    well an article with made up numbers about a product that is not even 1% of revenues will have even less effect on the share price. HP is taking share away from Cisco and dell . But it just seems like there is not enough cap X going around to help anyone of these companies grow.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    of course we know pc sales are just a tiny tiny part of hp and their bread and butter is on the services side. but markets and stock prices can rise and dip... over buy or oversell... on news.

dell is down 10% so i guess the 5% could be a selloff before earnings from dells news.

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Touchpad sales, no matter how poor would not account for a 4% drop for a company the size of HP. Even if there were absolutely 0 sales, that is not a large enough % of HP's business to account for the stock change.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgarcia View Post
    There is obvious a manipulation off the information. Remember the consecutive bashes against Touchpad over 2-3 weeks after the launch?
    I bet Apple is behind of it, after reading the next link I think they can make all the lowerst things to stop competition:
    Apple accused of doctoring image to sink Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Europe - UPDATE | ZDNet
    I don't think Apple would have to do anything here. There are way too many people that would do their dirty work for them (ex: jamming a screwdriver in a TouchPad demo unit USB port) or just making stuff up on blogs.
    hp has been showing they are broken in services last couple of quarters while dell two quarters prior were showing they were taking share back in service and enterprise. thats why dells disappointment the other day is not giving much hope of hp showing a turn tomorrow.

but any additional news... even though a small part of the company... is gonna affect. you participate in the mobile space and people say company versus steve jobs and apple... and your company to take any share in the mobility space... or inability to do so... it's gonna affect... imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    well an article with made up numbers about a product that is not even 1% of revenues will have even less effect on the share price. HP is taking share away from Cisco and dell . But it just seems like there is not enough cap X going around to help anyone of these companies grow.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I've been watching the amazon.com screen today, mostly because someone bashed me for my review of TP, insinuating that I was an HP employee. That aside, early today (6:30 central time US), there was a box that said Amazon had put selling the TP on hold due to customers issues with quality issues or defects, etc. By the time I got to work at 8 a.m., that was gone and it changed to say being sold through amazon by some other company (Johnson something?) and they only had three left. Now, 12:30 p.m. central US, it's back to being sold by Amazon.

Sadly, I could not get a screen shot from my iPhone (don't know how).

Showing in at #10 right now on sales-- not bad at all.

Any clues?
    you press the power button and home button at the same time for a screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by ksevern View Post
    Any clues?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Ah, I type poorly.

I was wondering on any clues about Amazon.com website. thanks for the iphone tip though.
    If Best Buy claims they have only sold 25,000 touchpads its thier own damn fault. They have the highest prices for touchpads (in general) and thier employees only sell what they know. Also Best Buy sucks with returns so people will go to Costco or Walmart instead, all things being equal. They should be training thier employees before they purchase 270k new unproven units.

This reports makes absolutley no sense. The problem is most people that read this report on the web wont do the smell test and it will leave a permanent negative impression on them about the product.
    Has HP had their earnings call yet???
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    Has HP had their earnings call yet???
    Tomorrow
    HP Investor Relations - Event Details
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Do we have any Devs with a popular App in the AppCat reading this? If so, have you sold more than 10,000 copies of your app? 20,000?

Not sure if sales numbers are NDA'd or not? But my question is intentionally general, just need to know where in the Thousands it might be.

We can put some of this speculation to rest if some App Sales numbers could be generalized.
    I posted this in another thread, but is specific to the discussions here as well.

1 out of the 6 local best buys is SOLD OUT of the 32 gig. If BB is sitting on 240,000 TP's they are doing a horrible job of product management.

Not saying it's huge sales, but to sit on a quarter million of inventory and have a store ANYWHERE sold out would be insane. The numbers in the article don't add up as has been said by multiple folks, and yes I spent extensive time in retail management and do understand how it works.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    hparsons and pgarcia like this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksevern View Post
    I've been watching the amazon.com screen today, mostly because someone bashed me for my review of TP, insinuating that I was an HP employee. That aside, early today (6:30 central time US), there was a box that said Amazon had put selling the TP on hold due to customers issues with quality issues or defects, etc. By the time I got to work at 8 a.m., that was gone and it changed to say being sold through amazon by some other company (Johnson something?) and they only had three left. Now, 12:30 p.m. central US, it's back to being sold by Amazon.

Showing in at #10 right now on sales-- not bad at all.

Any clues?
    There was a similar issue recently with the Nintendo Handheld (name escapes me) - I don't believe there was a genuine issue, because the device was back on sale again later that day.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    i've got a hard time to believe that best-buy was stupid enough to allegedly have 270k units in stock but lets look at the other number. apparently selling 25k TP's in one month seems to be deemed a bad number. now lets do the math.

Best-Buy -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter
    Amazon -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming Amazon sold as badly as well)
    Staples -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming the extra $100 voucher helped)
    all others -> 3 x 30k = 90k TP's this quarter (assuming they sold crappy too)

this would mean selling at least 315k TP's in the first quarter, where the launch wasn't great, pricing was sheit and reviews in press were modest in the best case.

hmmm...apart from BB having excessive stock, these numbers don't look that bad to me. of course, no comparison to the product from the fruit company but again, considering that almost everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong (pricing, late OTA, late advertising, crummy reviews, etc.) it's not as gloomy as it might look like !!!

cheer up guys :-)
    Any article like this the day before earnings announcement smacks to me of attempted market manipulation. Sure, Dell dropped 10% but other tech stocks did not drop as much. There's no reason I can find for HP's dip of 5% at the low of the day or 3.74% at close.

It is just as likely that someone has inside info that HP will announce record TP sales causing their stock to jump tomorrow so they pushed out this negative info to buy HP stock today on the dip.

And absolutely do not expect any response from HP until earnings come out tomorrow after the market closes. They are in quiet mode now and are strictly prevented from making any remarks one way or the other that might possibly influence the stock. When in doubt, HP will take the conservative approach to complying with SEC rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    ... if you look at the order for a 3 month time period then i dont think its crazy. and if they were able to get close to 100k sold then best buy would probably be ok in their projections for another month or two and we probably wouldnt be hearing anything...
    Unless the game has changed a lot since I was in it, a retailer doesn't order a 3 month supply of something so readily available. There's no profit in doing so. You tie up your purchasing $$'s too much if you do so.

Electronics retailing is low margin. They want to turn their stock at least monthly. Probably sooner.

That said, big companies will commit to purchase xxx number within a certain time frame. I suspect that's really what the "270,000" number is all about - a committment to purchase.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    i personally think that those 25000 touchaps sold were actually 25000 download of WSJ app on the touchpad considering allthingd is part of WSJ.
    this is a smear campaign period to force HP to publish official sales of the TP
    The front page story didn't sit right with me for some reason. Didn't QVC sell out of the touchpads? And didn't some stores run out of the 16G version? Whole area's were sold out....or so I thought.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345