Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    but if you only sell 1/10th of your initial order and do your math on how long it will take to sell the rest, that must be scaring the heck out of bb and saying we dont want anymore... whatever has not been fulfilled but agreed on we dont want anymore... etc.
    I guess you are assuming that the sales numbers are true.

There are about 1150 stores in US. So the average sales in a month on a 25K sold number is about 21 touchpads/store. To me that is a low number.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Can you tell how the ordering will be done
    Is it per store per month ? or per store per week ?
    Can't tell you how it "will" be done, since I don't work at Best Buy. Plus, I've been out of that business for a long time.

However, I doubt that it's per store. The national chain I worked at predicted demand on a per-store bases, and bought in bulk. Then shipped what they thought each store would sell. Roughly 50% of stock was held back for resupply, but that varied widely on the product.

Another national retailer I worked at as a manager, operated totally differently. The warehouse was essentially a seperate division, and the stores "bought" from the warehouse, at an internal profit (meaning, the price paid by the stores was higher than the price paid by the warehouse, and that difference was the warehouse's operating base).

But both business models had something in common - there is no way either of them would have ordered that massive a number of devices for a brand new product.

The numbers are simply not adding up.

Now, if the article had stated that Best Buy was renegotiating a commitment to buy 270,000 over the next xxx weeks, I might have felt differently. The way the article states it though, just doesn't pass the smell test.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    lol, you can't be serious in saying iPad is mostly bought by elderly and uninformed.

Why do we keep looking at others for our own failure?
    Okay, I take back my iPad comment.
    Now go to BestBuy ask them about " I heard these new tablets are great. I would like to replace my 99 laptop with a tablet. Can you browse the internet on the tablet".

You will get 100% attention. The more you try to act "uninformed" the more you will hear him about tablets.
    Try it

I did it, and they never told me about the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbond View Post
    It's the same story! Have you read any of the other 3 pages worth of posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    I notice that Engadget haven't reposted this. Maybe they think it's suspect too?
    Yeah, but CNet reposted it and it is showing up on the front page of Google News. It is scary how quickly something negative that is unconfirmed can spread like wildfire.
    not assuming... just using those numbers as a discussion point. i mean no one here knows for certain so we're just using whatever numbers from that article.

personally i find the number crazy low... and cant believe they couldnt sell that many. on the flip side i can see them ordering that many... i dont think its a crazy number... if you look at the order for a 3 month time period then i dont think its crazy. and if they were able to get close to 100k sold then best buy would probably be ok in their projections for another month or two and we probably wouldnt be hearing anything.

but to sell 25k (if true) and to see how many you have left?! that's gonna bring up the red flag and dont doubt it would generate a call to hp to discuss it. cause they dont wanna end up with junk taking up space near the holidays as well as the money paid and have to sell them in the clearance aisle next to the pillow pets.

There are about 1150 stores in US. So the average sales in a month on a 25K sold number is about 21 touchpads/store. To me that is a low number.

Not all of those stores are in the US. That is their total worldwide, not including the mini stores in some airports and malls. This is all according to wikipedia:

Best Buy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    not assuming... just using those numbers as a discussion point. i mean no one here knows for certain so we're just using whatever numbers from that article.

personally i find the number crazy low... and cant believe they couldnt sell that many. on the flip side i can see them ordering that many... i dont think its a crazy number... if you look at the order for a 3 month time period then i dont think its crazy. and if they were able to get close to 100k sold then best buy would probably be ok in their projections for another month or two and we probably wouldnt be hearing anything.

but to sell 25k (if true) and to see how many you have left?! that's gonna bring up the red flag and dont doubt it would generate a call to hp to discuss it. cause they dont wanna end up with junk taking up space near the holidays as well as the money paid and have to sell them in the clearance aisle next to the pillow pets.
    Sure, that 25K number is too low, if they are true sales. But allthingd wrote as if they were true.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I see Amazon,Staples and Office Depot selling them well.

Is it a problem with BestBuy or Touchpad ? I think BestBuy.

My take, HP reduced the price hence BestBuy cannot make hefty margin. So they are mad.
    yeah. i dont know what to make of the article...

one of his sources looked at the hp numbers and gave the figures we have.
    his second source on the best buy side says it compares with bb numbers...
    and said the numbers may be 'charitable'.

but it's noon time and hpq is down 4% and have done nothing to kill the news.
    that's what's getting my attention.

Sure, that 25K number is too low, if they are true sales. But allthingd wrote as if they were true.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Not all of those stores are in the US. That is their total worldwide, not including the mini stores in some airports and malls. This is all according to wikipedia:

Best Buy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks,
    So the number of sales might be in the range of ~ 30 per store/ per month.
  12. w0z
    If BB is awash in TPs, why would they limit to 1 per model? I just checked local stores here and all had TPs in stock but if you try to put >1 in your cart, the 1 limit message appears.

Something about this doesn't pass the sniff test.
    pavlindrom and hrminer92 like this.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

I believe that BB is not selling TP the way they wanted ( don't know their "way"). Walk into any BB, its obvious. OTOH, BB is on sale at Staples followed by Radioshack. That might have hurt BestBuy. In addition Amazon sells for tax free so thats another pain for BestBuy. Any informed consumer will not buy it from Bestbuy.

As per earnings, here is my take. HP says they sold "well", its a marathon not sprint, look at the apps, look at the 4G .... yada yada. Me thinks they have to stay on the course by reducing the price anc clearing the inventory.
  14. w0z
    Sam's Club = "Low in Stock" Only 1 allowed in local checkout cart.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    All tech stocks have dropped since Monday, including Dell and other major names.
  16.    #76  
    There is obvious a manipulation off the information. Remember the consecutive bashes against Touchpad over 2-3 weeks after the launch?
    I bet Apple is behind of it, after reading the next link I think they can make all the lowerst things to stop competition:
    Apple accused of doctoring image to sink Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Europe - UPDATE | ZDNet
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Can't tell you how it "will" be done, since I don't work at Best Buy. Plus, I've been out of that business for a long time.

However, I doubt that it's per store. The national chain I worked at predicted demand on a per-store bases, and bought in bulk. Then shipped what they thought each store would sell. Roughly 50% of stock was held back for resupply, but that varied widely on the product.
    When the store of a national chain "places orders" they don't do so through the manufacturer--they order from the Mother Ship, in this case BB.

It's not unusual at all to think, based on iPad and Android tab numbers, that BB would have committed to 1/4 million, and thought they'd be through more than a tenth at this point, esp when you look at the POP support HP was providing (on floor sales people, prominent displays, etc.)

Re: HP being down, the analysts I've read today are framing HP downgrades (to "market perform" from outperform, btw) in terms of general softness in the PC sector . . . I haven't seen any mention of the alleged BB leak.
  19. w0z
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    All tech stocks have dropped since Monday, including Dell and other major names.
    HP is down mainly because Dell gave poor forward guidance in their earnings release last evening.
    well i know dells earnings/forecast yesterday dissappointed and was going to affect hp today but i dont think it was going to be worth 4%... but could be... i think yesterday evening hp did announce downward guidance for rest of year too.

but having negative news like the bb numbers that are floating around... i figured if untrue they would just quickly send a note... not have to say numbers but say the information is unfounded. they dont need this on top of expected bad news at earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Re: HP being down, the analysts I've read today are framing HP downgrades (to "market perform" from outperform, btw) in terms of general softness in the PC sector . . . I haven't seen any mention of the alleged BB leak.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast