Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    How do you know that?
    I don't know anything. It's just my view.
    did BB price match the staples coupon? If not, of course they had poor sales. Still, I'm surprised they thought the TP at $499 would be a big seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    Android steals 20% of tablet market from iPad over past year

Yea those pesky android tabs and their 20% of market share in what is really their first year if you don't count the 1st gen galaxy tab....are just not selling.....LMAO
    Thanks for proving my point. More PRPRPR $talking$ $about$ $units$ $shipped$ ($or$ $potential$ $units$ $shipped$) $as$ $opposed$ $to$ $end$ $user$ $sales$. $Even$ $according$ $to$ $Google$'$s$ $own$ $figures$ $there$ $are$ $only$ $a$ $little$ $under$ $1$.$5$ $million$ $Android$ $3$.$x$ $tablets$ $in$ $use$.
    Am I the only one that believed, and still does, that the price drop was planned before even launch?

People assume a company as massive as HP with a marketing department the size of a small country just knee-jerk price drop out of some kind of panic? Really?
    Who is Richard Doherty? This guy seems to have a comment on everything. He is head of "Envisioneering Group". The website for this company is Envisioneering.net. Go check it out... the site has loads of broken links. I did a Whois lookup on the domain. The listed contact on the domain is Richard Doherty. A search on google brings up... nothing useful. This guy is a constantly quoted person on all technology matters with no online presence. Can anyone provide more information, as right now I believe he has about as much inside information on this matter as I do!
    pavlindrom and ariker01 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Am I the only one that believed, and still does, that the price drop was planned before even launch?

People assume a company as massive as HP with a marketing department the size of a small country just knee-jerk price drop out of some kind of panic? Really?
    HP is a massive company and HP *does* often sell at SRP out of the gate so they can drop the price later during TEMPORARY sales drives... However, what we have here is a company that permanently lowered the price just a month after availability.

NO. I don't believe HP planned on dropping the SRP price that quickly.
    I think the best thing that could happen to WebOS at this point is if it could be easily, and for a low cost, made available to other vendors who might have better luck at presenting it in a more attractive product. If you have a dozen vendors pushing it, there's a little better chance for a hit.
    I hope all this negativity will be wiped away when WebOS grabs a sizeable market share within the next year. But if I could predict the future, I would buy some lotery tickets.

WebOS is a good OS; it works great, has some nice features, and if Apple starts copying some of your features, you know you are on the right track.

As stated, the initial prices were too high; you cannot be an iPad-killer without having a track record (or a fruit-fan-base) if you just match the price. Maybe that is why HP dropped the price so quickly. And in my opinion, HP made a mistake with the localized App stores. Why would a developer in Malaysia or China work on something none of his neighbors can buy for quite some time?

Me being in the Netherlands adds to that latter sentiment; I just purchased a Pre 3, but I will have to jump through various hoops for the coming months to get the paid apps, as NL is nowhere to be seen on any officially supported country lists yet ...

For now let us all enjoy the new devices and the developments in WebOS (both official HP/Palm and Homebrew) and meet again in ~6 months to discuss the actual numbers in sales, user ratings, apps in the catalogue, etc.

PS: even though it has been remarked several times in this thread that the BB story is all from one source and unconfirmed, people keep insist on posting (new) links to the same story here - if you cannot read, why join a forum ... ?
    Putz!!

ALL news sites are drinking from the same source: "somebody" told all this informations... but the real question is "who?", because the BestBuy cannot say this officially, and this is not a public information.

IF is real information (strange numbers & send back?), come only from one seller in one country in a world financial crisis...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    You understand that the article being provided over and over again is just a regurgitation of a rumor presented by AllThingsD. Look at Yahoo, CNet, Gizmodo, Precentral and they all lead back to a single source. I'm not saying that the source isn't right, but I feel that there should be at least a little skepticism about just plopping the links out there as though it's absolute and undeniable fact.
    I'm highly skeptical of the original article. The numbers quoted just don't add up. I seriously doubt that Best Buy orderd 150 TouchPads per store. I was an assistant buyer for a large electronics firm at one time, and there's no way we would have ever bought a new product in those numbers.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm highly skeptical of the original article. The numbers quoted just don't add up. I seriously doubt that Best Buy orderd 150 TouchPads per store. I was an assistant buyer for a large electronics firm at one time, and there's no way we would have ever bought a new product in those numbers.
    Can you tell how the ordering will be done
    Is it per store per month ? or per store per week ?
    HP announces earnings tomorrow, I think, so they are probably in black-out mode - not allowed to make any public announcements. I don't think we'll get any real info before then.

If it is a rumor, you need to figure who benefits/hurts, based on Google/Mojo deal, spikes in Nokia and RIM, etc. Does this rumor hurt or help those trying to buy or sell those shares, let alone HP?
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Who are we kidding here guys. HP is just not achieving in what we had hoped for, reviving webOS.

And if I were HP I would seriously rethink whether or not to continue with webOS, purely from a business (money) aspect. What use is it to keep throwing money at it hoping it to get picked up by the crowds, while it's very questionable they would ever, even when HP had done "everything right".

I sincerely doubt that to be possible at this moment in time. Maybe there is room for something new again in 3 to 5 years, but now the market is indeed just a iOS & Android market. It hurts to admit it.
    Guess it's good you're not HP then. You'll have to stick to ... what multi-billion dollar company is it you're running?

So here's the real kidding aside - HP has stated all along that this is a marathon. Besides the numbers in the rumor blog not adding up, the fact is we're not 2 months out from releas. I doubt HP is nearly as concerned as this article is pretending they are.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I have couple of things to say

Others (Staples and Officemax) are selling more than Bestbuy.
    Bestbuy has some stock to move and clear their retail space.
    I notice that Engadget haven't reposted this. Maybe they think it's suspect too?
    grappler likes this.
    i dont think you order per store...

hp sells them on the idea and give them their numbers as far as projected sales, the stores buy them by what they think they will sell... and they will take into consideration hps numbers and their numbers from other tabs they sell and then from their they will distribute it to their various stores... more in some, less in some depending on things like what kind of volume each store gets out the door.

the feedback that hp gets from each store determines how many they will try to produce too to meet initial demand.

once the product is released, they can run through supply and then make adjustments on manufacturing and future ordering.

but if you only sell 1/10th of your initial order and do your math on how long it will take to sell the rest, that must be scaring the heck out of bb and saying we dont want anymore... whatever has not been fulfilled but agreed on we dont want anymore... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Bestbuy's staff are arrogant to everyone but elderly and uninformed.

The elderly and uninformed will more likely buy an iPad if not an Android tablet. No wonder TP is not selling well.

Nope. I've believed that all along. Wasn't sure of exactly how the details would play out, but there was little doubt in my mind that the original selling point was their "high bid" in negotiations. HP always sells hardware discounted (one way or another) off their MSRP.

BTW, I bought my TouchPad opening day, 10 minutes after the store opened. Yes, I paid $599 up front, but got Best Buy to honor their 10% off coupon, plus got $50 back from HP. That brought it down to $489. Then got another $50 in apps purchases, so now I'm down to $439.

I suspect that the people that latched on to the $599 "It's the same price as an iPad" are the same folks that'll believe the article in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Bestbuy's staff are arrogant to everyone but elderly and uninformed.

The elderly and uninformed will more likely buy an iPad if not an Android tablet. No wonder TP is not selling well.
    lol, you can't be serious in saying iPad is mostly bought by elderly and uninformed.

Why do we keep looking at others for our own failure?
    SnotBoogie likes this.

so they offers $50 credit to pre/pre+ owners so they can buy $600 hardware, all along knowing they gonna lower price by $100 right after that period of $50 credit ends? What kind of marketing strategy is that? "don't trust us" or "haha fooled you again"?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast