Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    It's what every site does, even this one. I can start a WordPress blog site today and just point to other sources and write a little introduction to it. In fact, I think I will

Someone give me a good name for the site!
    PoopSwatchGreen.com
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Again, just a regurgitation of AllThingsD without any corroborating information or further analysis. Just because the same story shows up on 100 sites doesn't make it fact. We need to stop propagating rumors and let the story actually play out. And MAYBE just MAYBE put some pressure on these blogs and news outlets to do some real digging and real reporting.
    @nhavar, off topic but every time I see your name it reminds me of nvarchar(). A SQL data type. Pretty cool.
    re: original post..... wow
    Here is my response to the AllThingsD story:

Arik, I know that this is just a blog, but did you check your numbers? A lot of things are not adding up. HP stated that they were only going to ship 300,000 units last month. Walmart, Costco, QVC, Staples, and Amazon are also selling the Touchpad so why would HP send what amounts to 85% of what was shipped to one retailer? A retailer that only acounts for 19% of the electronics market in the United States? Also, there are 1150 BestBuy stores worldwide. BestBuy ordered what amounts to 235 Touchpads per store? They expected to sell all 235 per store in one month? How? The iPad sold over 190,000 units in Europe last month so how did BestBuy expect to sell 270,000 Touchpads in one country in one month? They would have to sell 8 Touchpads everyday for the whole month. No way. I don't think they sell that many iPads a day.

Even your 25,000 number is suspect. That would mean that they sold 24 Touchpads a month per store. Most of the stores didn't even have complete inventories until the 17th of July (the real launch according to HP).

--This also proves a point I posted after the initial reviews, tech reviewers don't do their own reviews, they just regurgitate what other reviewers say. This same story was posted on at least 5 different tech sites.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    HP could kill this in a minute by simply confirming that it is not true.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

Why bother though? They aren't going to lower themselves because a few bloggers/non real journalist wrote about something they heard from someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    Best Buy sitting on a pile of unsold HP tablets | Digital Media - CNET News

This article would disagree with your assertion....
    This isn't original reporting. It's just a regurgitation of the earlier AllthingsD story. So far, ATD are the only ones out there with this claim to my knowledge.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Who are we kidding here guys. HP is just not achieving in what we had hoped for, reviving webOS.

And if I were HP I would seriously rethink whether or not to continue with webOS, purely from a business (money) aspect. What use is it to keep throwing money at it hoping it to get picked up by the crowds, while it's very questionable they would ever, even when HP had done "everything right".

I sincerely doubt that to be possible at this moment in time. Maybe there is room for something new again in 3 to 5 years, but now the market is indeed just a iOS & Android market. It hurts to admit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

I thought the same thing but then I realized that this amounts to blackmail. HP doesn't usually post individual product sells and this seems like an overt attempt to get them to do so. If I were them I would only answer how many units I shipped to BestBuy. The numbers quoted by AllThingsD seem extremely high.
    Why bother though? They aren't going to lower themselves because a few bloggers/non real journalist wrote about something they heard from someone.
    or, since it's a Best Buy story, they could come out and clarify it also (if it's
    untrue or exaggerated).
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Yeah who has heard of the WSJ or the san Francisco chronicle - it does not matter how it got out there, it matters that this affects consumer and developer confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Who are we kidding here guys. HP is just not achieving in what we had hoped for, reviving webOS.

And if I were HP I would seriously rethink whether or not to continue with webOS, purely from a business (money) aspect. What use is it to keep throwing money at it hoping it to get picked up by the crowds, while it's very questionable they would ever, even when HP had done "everything right".

I sincerely doubt that to be possible at this moment in time. Maybe there is room for something new again in 3 to 5 years, but now the market is indeed just a iOS & Android market. It hurts to admit it.
    How do you know that?
    I think webOS is fine, it's the hardware that's killing it. The Touchpad is thick, heavy and cheap-feeling. Wouldn't matter if it was running iOS.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    HP did about as well as I figured they would, basing their previous performance in buying brands and trying to remarket and remake them.

They've failed quite a bit more than they've had success. The mobile market is vastly more competitive than anything they've tried to get into before.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    or, since it's a Best Buy story, they could come out and clarify it also (if it's
    untrue or exaggerated).
    Yeah, good point. It actually looks bad for BB, like they can't sell a product, even when given the resources to do so.
    What interests me is not that BB sold less than 10% of their theoretical stock.

No, what interests me is if this were an Android tablet, please would only be talking about the 270k shipped and then calling it a potential iPad killer (and completely ignoring that Android tabs don't sell either...).
    Yeah, good point. It actually looks bad for BB, like they can't sell a product, even when given the resources to do so.
    Is the iPad a failure there, too?
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post

No, what interests me is if this were an Android tablet, please would only be talking about the 270k shipped and then calling it a potential iPad killer (and completely ignoring that Android tabs don't sell either...).
    Android steals 20% of tablet market from iPad over past year

Yea those pesky android tabs and their 20% of market share in what is really their first year if you don't count the 1st gen galaxy tab....are just not selling.....LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post

There is a big difference.

One Android tab failure isn't the death of Android. You have potentially hundreds of manufacturers licensing and selling products.

Here you only have HP. When you have a integrated hardware and software model, you don't have the luxury of the same missteps.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast