webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Should I buy a touchpad?
Should I buy a touchpad?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 08/16/2011, 03:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

So any way I've been thinking about getting a touchpad but I'm really wondering if it's somethings that will work for me. I know that sounds funny but I'm really not an isheep and android just plain scares me. I have a computer that gets viruses all the time I'd like something a little different. But I really like the fact that the touchpad has flash and multitask like no other. But I really don't know if it will fill my needs. I'm looking for something where I can do all the stuff on the internet but also I want apps where I can help my kids with reading and math and just school work in general. I know the ipad has that sort of stuff and my gf has that, but for myself I want something that isn't the dark world of icrap. I want something fresh but I'm not sure if that's the touchpad. I have a wp7 trophy but am playing with a wifi pre I stole from my dad which was on it's last leg after buying him a new one on e-bay so I'm torn on the tablet front. Well any imput would help. Thanks
malachijd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 05:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

I got mine from QVC with a 30 day return policy. What don't you go that route and decide for yourself.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have only a few minor issues with the TouchPad. For internet use I find it awesome. Not really aware of what you want to do on the internet with it but if you give some examples, specific sites or activities I am sure we can give you more details as if it will fit your needs. If the most important thing you want out of a touchpad is to help your kids with school work there are few apps that will do that now. But I know there are tons of webpages for that kind of stuff. I have not personally tried any of the sites on the Touchpad so I am unaware of how well they will work. but if you post a few sites or activities you are interested in doing someone will give you feed back on how well it works. Good luck with your tablet choice.
elpollodiablo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

You need to list the "must haves" before we can help you.

Or is school work for kid the only required function? Im not sure there is any app for that, but see if you can find a website that can act as a teaching tool, then ask ppl here to test those websites for ya on touchpad.
---
galaxy tab tapatalk
clevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

The apps to help your kids read and do math are not available yet. The browser is better then most stock browsers but even though it has flash some sites are still glitchy.

Based on your requirements I don't think any tablet on the market really delivers what you are looking for yet.
Herk_FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachijd View Post
So any way I've been thinking about getting a touchpad but I'm really wondering if it's somethings that will work for me. I know that sounds funny but I'm really not an isheep and android just plain scares me. I have a computer that gets viruses all the time I'd like something a little different. But I really like the fact that the touchpad has flash and multitask like no other. But I really don't know if it will fill my needs. I'm looking for something where I can do all the stuff on the internet but also I want apps where I can help my kids with reading and math and just school work in general. I know the ipad has that sort of stuff and my gf has that, but for myself I want something that isn't the dark world of icrap. I want something fresh but I'm not sure if that's the touchpad. I have a wp7 trophy but am playing with a wifi pre I stole from my dad which was on it's last leg after buying him a new one on e-bay so I'm torn on the tablet front. Well any imput would help. Thanks
Buy, a strong buy

To put things in perspective Can you get a "Real" multi tasking tablet for $325. 00 ?

Radioshack is selling it for $ 325.00
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I really like my Touchpad, and my son (high school) likes it, too.

The only real issue that I have is lack of document editing - there are work-around solutions to word-processing (for instance, Google Docs and Microsoft Office online, but you have to be connected to wireless to access them). I REALLY need a dedicated word processor!

Also - the bluetooth keyboard is much easier to use than the virtual keyboard, at least for me. But as for internet access, it's better than my laptop most times. It connects to signals faster and runs great.

I would agree with laingman and others - go ahead and get one to try it out for awhile, to see if it meets your needs. And welcome to the WebOS family!
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yup, if you do decide to try it out, keep in mind that the thing will lag in the first 24-48 hours as it's indexing everything and all of your accounts.

Also, let the OTA update to 3.0.2 as soon as you can.

After a few days and a few reboots, that should let you know how well the TouchPad will run from that point on. If you still want more, then you can check out Preware and different patches that makes it run even smoother
ebolamonkey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

So I guess what I want most is a reading app like something to help kids read. I want it in an app form because I have an autistic child who can click apps but not look for stuff on the internet. So I want something that can read to her. Also I would like a math helper like something to do times tables. That one could be app or website but if there was a counting app for autistic kid great. And sounds like the web works great. I just hate being on the ipad and my phone running into something saying I need to update my flash. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 08/16/2011, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachijd View Post
So I guess what I want most is a reading app like something to help kids read. I want it in an app form because I have an autistic child who can click apps but not look for stuff on the internet. So I want something that can read to her. Also I would like a math helper like something to do times tables. That one could be app or website but if there was a counting app for autistic kid great. And sounds like the web works great. I just hate being on the ipad and my phone running into something saying I need to update my flash. Thanks everyone for the input.
There's really not much yet - however "Kids Slate" from mathslice.com, inc looks like it would suit you well. That said, that's a lot of money for one app that fits what you need "well".

I couldn't find an "out of the App Catalog" description (maybe you can), but here's the description of the iPad version (and it's the same for the TP)

Kids Slate (Education) | Speak iPad

That said, I know that HP announced an initiative for such apps quite some time ago, and this company has lots of educational apps and they don't even mention that they've got anything for the TouchPad on their website.

I guess in short, if you want to do something now probably your best bet is what was mentioned, buy someplace with a liberal return policy, and take it back if you don't find what you're looking for.
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I got mine from QVC with a 30 day return policy. What don't you go that route and decide for yourself.
They've been sold out for weeks now... they just processed my return of the *extra* bundle we got. It was unopened so hopefully they will put it back into stock, but the way they do some of their limited deals, it may go back to HP.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 10:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah I was going to have the money on the 5th of sept. it's a ways off and I'm just now doing my research so.... But when all's said and done I do really want the touchpad because my recent experience with my dad's old pre has really got me wanting it. I just don't know if it will fit my needs
Old 08/17/2011, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

the question is whether you want a tablet. After having my touchpad for 2 weeks I can not imagine using an iPad or android tablet. Webos on the touchpad is very good. I have handed it to everyone I can and tell them to just start typing...

however I will be returning mine as for the time being having a tablet is an expensive luxury.

I will say that for 90% of what I use a computer for I would rather use a tablet. But I can not get along without a laptop computer. Between my phone and my laptop, the tablet device is a nice toy.

all that said I really like the touchpad and hope to have one again in the future.
luigidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 06:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

I found this thread when searching for advice on buying a touchpad. I like WebOS and I'm still using my Sprint Pre. My concern is the longevity of Open WebOS. My needs are pretty basic. What I would like to do with a tablet is most of what I can do on a laptop. I don't require a ton of apps, and I'm not a big movie or television watcher (don't have the time). Should I get the 16gb or 32gb version?

I'm typing this post on my hubby's Samsung Galaxy tablet, and it seems very cumbersome, even compared to my Pre.
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 08:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
I found this thread when searching for advice on buying a touchpad. I like WebOS and I'm still using my Sprint Pre. My concern is the longevity of Open WebOS. My needs are pretty basic. What I would like to do with a tablet is most of what I can do on a laptop. I don't require a ton of apps, and I'm not a big movie or television watcher (don't have the time). Should I get the 16gb or 32gb version?

I'm typing this post on my hubby's Samsung Galaxy tablet, and it seems very cumbersome, even compared to my Pre.
I have a Touchpad with my Verizon PrePlus (I am running webOS 2.2.4), but before that was released, I was running webOS 2.1.0 (and patched the BlueTooth from webOS 2.2.4), I then shared my SMS messages (MAP Protocol), Phone calls from the Touchpad, even watch movies from Crackle to Netflix (requires a few mods). From 2011 now to 2013, it is a big device, the developers have mostly ignored their apps, but the apps that are available are good... as a media consumption device it does a great job. The Touchpad may never see anything from Open webOS, although it can run it (even though HP does not produce a build for it, one can build each module and copy the bins/files over), LunaCE is stuck in beta/alpha, and most of the developers are trying to make Open webOS work on something else then HP hardware... Hope this helps...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
I have a Touchpad with my Verizon PrePlus (I am running webOS 2.2.4), but before that was released, I was running webOS 2.1.0 (and patched the BlueTooth from webOS 2.2.4), I then shared my SMS messages (MAP Protocol), Phone calls from the Touchpad, even watch movies from Crackle to Netflix (requires a few mods). From 2011 now to 2013, it is a big device, the developers have mostly ignored their apps, but the apps that are available are good... as a media consumption device it does a great job. The Touchpad may never see anything from Open webOS, although it can run it (even though HP does not produce a build for it, one can build each module and copy the bins/files over), LunaCE is stuck in beta/alpha, and most of the developers are trying to make Open webOS work on something else then HP hardware... Hope this helps...
Thanks. I'm not a techie (don't know what LunaCE is), so I won't be doing any tinkering under the hood of any tablet.
Old 01/10/2013, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Would you say a 16gb Touchpad is sufficient for a basic user like me? I don't watch movies or T.V. very much. Just basis emailing, document editing, able to read/view/play various file types (PDF, Adobe Flash, MP4, WMA, QuickTime etc.), file manager etc., internet browsing etc.
Old 01/10/2013, 08:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not a techie (don't know what LunaCE is), so I won't be doing any tinkering under the hood of any tablet.
LunaCE is a replacement of the stock UI framework, which a version (compiled by webOSPorts) is in Preware and was released by HP/Palm as a gesture of good faith after they decided to not release Open webOS for the touchpad.

It does bring some cool features, but once they released Open webOS, webOSPorts dropped it to work on Open webOS...

Quote:
Would you say a 16gb Touchpad is sufficient for a basic user like me? I don't watch movies or T.V. very much. Just basis emailing, document editing, able to read/view/play various file types (PDF, Adobe Flash, MP4, WMA, QuickTime etc.), file manager etc., internet browsing etc.
16/32/64 4G/WiFi tons of choice 16g is fine, but if you want to expand and install android or ubuntu, 16 is small... Once you get it you will do things you never thought you would do..

I have 4G left of 32G, triple booting the device with all three is cool.

Really if you can still use your sprint pre with 8G, 16G might be fine...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: purplepansy
Old 01/12/2013, 10:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum0036 View Post
So is lunace worth switching to vs stock
Definitely. The latest version of it (4.9.10) doesn't have any bugs that I've run into and adds a ton of new features that really take multitasking on the TouchPad to the next level.

LunaCE Features - WebOS-Ports

It's great to see the Wave Launcher make a return as well, Custom Carrier string is pretty cool, and the Virtual Trackball as well as fluid gestures are a delight to use.

The larger dashboard notifications are really useful (see http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...h-weather.html). And all these features can be enabled/disabled and customized with Tweaks which is really nice.

Last edited by cbosdell; 01/12/2013 at 11:02 PM.
cbosdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: redrum0036
Old 01/16/2013, 01:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
LunaCE is a replacement of the stock UI framework, which a version (compiled by webOSPorts) is in Preware and was released by HP/Palm as a gesture of good faith after they decided to not release Open webOS for the touchpad.

It does bring some cool features, but once they released Open webOS, webOSPorts dropped it to work on Open webOS...

16/32/64 4G/WiFi tons of choice 16g is fine, but if you want to expand and install android or ubuntu, 16 is small... Once you get it you will do things you never thought you would do..

I have 4G left of 32G, triple booting the device with all three is cool.

Really if you can still use your sprint pre with 8G, 16G might be fine...
Thanks for all of the advice. I went ahead and bought a 32GB Touchpad bundle on Ebay (case and Touchstone charging dock included). I decided to get the 32GB Touchpad because of the dual booting capability. As much as I would like to see Open WebOS on new hardware, it seems a distant possibility at this point.
Liked by carldc and con500 like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0