View Poll Results: Would you still buy the Touchpad if you knew all you know now beforehand?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Most definitely!! I love this thing!!

    146 69.86%
  • Only if it was on sale

    31 14.83%
  • Probably not, It's not much use to me with all the missing features

    17 8.13%
  • Definitely not, this thing has been a huge waste of time

    15 7.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    If you knew before buying the HP touchpad that it didn't natively support avi/divx files, it doesn't accept the stylus pen as a way of input, it has choppy PDF support and it's dedicated app store applications are very limited would you still buy it? Given what you know now?
  2. #2  
    I think we all knew it wouldn't natively support avi/divx files, are there any tablets on the market that does?

    A stylus pen? If you mean writing recognition I think we all knew that too. If not, it does work with the Targus pens that they sell for use with the iPad and iPhone.


    The choppy PDF support and limited apps is something that definitely sucks though.
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    If you knew before buying the HP touchpad that it didn't natively support avi/divx files, it doesn't accept the stylus pen as a way of input, it has choppy PDF support and it's dedicated app store applications are very limited would you still buy it? Given what you know now?
    Yup considering other tablets out there, naming the most popular one in the world right now, doesn't support avi/divx. Don't really understand why anyone would use a stylus pen on a tablet.. reminds me of the old palm treo days.. Lol. And the App store is larger than androids dedicated tablet app store and probably larger than blackberry's as well. PDF support still works, but I use my dedicated kindle to read things, or magazine/newspaper dedicated apps.
  4. #4  
    For me it's a mix of no. 4 - Probably not, It's not much use to me with all the missing features and no. 3 - Only if it was on sale .
    I cant justify buying device without PPTP VPN, RDP client, HDMI and USB host option when there are equally priced devices with all this options. WebOS UX is great, but not too great to be deciding factor over missing features. I was really hoping TouchPad would suite my needs, but it seems no WebOS device for me this year.
  5.    #5  
    Of course there are tablets out there that support avi/divx format, even my samsung epic 4g phone supports these formats.
    writing recognition is a very useful component for students such as myself especially in classes like organic chemistry where you are constantly drawing molecules. So drawing recognition works with targus pens?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    If you knew before buying the HP touchpad that it didn't natively support avi/divx files, it doesn't accept the stylus pen as a way of input, it has choppy PDF support and it's dedicated app store applications are very limited would you still buy it? Given what you know now?
    I knew the input before I bought, and only expected MP4 playing (because that's the only one they claimed). My PDF works fine.

    Looks like the numbers show most are pretty satisfied.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    bevcraw, retroblu and netwrkr9 like this.
  7. #7  
    $6.99 for KalemSoft combined codecs & streaming anywhere, I feel I got my money's worth.

    Pen input, unimportant to me, but interesting concept, something a developer could work on possibly.

    PDF... Haven't even tried a single one since I bought this.

    While the app catalog has been on the sparse side, I knew this going in. I have noticed every day it building and building, and they aren't all crap apps. It's enough daily progress for me to check every day, unlike my Pre which I'd only check weekly, at best.
    noseph likes this.
  8. #8  
    @khan6831

    which of the major tablets provide native support avi/divx support ?

    - ipad 2 doesn't !
    - xoom doesn't !
    - playbook doesn't !
    - galaxy tab doesn't !

    looking at your other posts, you seemed to have no idea of what you were buying when you made the decision to purchase the Touchpad. i'm not even sure if you really own one.
  9. #9  
    if you want a stylus. Try this one:

    ipad stylus - Product Details
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    If you knew before buying the HP touchpad that it didn't natively support avi/divx files, it doesn't accept the stylus pen as a way of input, it has choppy PDF support and it's dedicated app store applications are very limited would you still buy it? Given what you know now?
    Really man, TouchPad is supporting avi/divx via third party software so there is no real reason for complain. Also, modern touchscreen technology is not stylus input oriented. Everything is created for finger input, so this also is not valid complain.
    Limited app store is old and well known WebOS problem. HP managed to collect about 300 TouchPad specific apps for launch, about same amount like Honeycomb specific apps.
    Your choice of complaints is extremely strange to me. In my book you should be happy Touchpad user since you have so little complaints, all easily manageable via future software updates.
  11. #11  
    Guys, we already have another thread open to discuss native video support. If you want to discuss that issue in detail, please visit that thread:

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3062710

    Let's try to stick to the OP's question. Thanks.
  12. #12  
    OP... all of that stuff was known before the TouchPad was released and people are still buying it. If people didn't know those things, it isn't because of a lack of info from HP but a lack of consumer research before purchasing. Seems a round-a-bout way to complain
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    OP... all of that stuff was known before the TouchPad was released and people are still buying it. If people didn't know those things, it isn't because of a lack of info from HP but a lack of consumer research before purchasing. Seems a round-a-bout way to complain
    Except maybe the PDF thing, I expected it to be better. Other than that, you have no excuse to not have known that before purchasing your TP.

    Also, I disagree that his complaints were round-a-bout, I think they were pretty straight forward complaints.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  14. #14  
    Knowing what I know about webOS now, I would definitely buy a webOS tablet again. But perhaps I would've waited for the 7" version.
  15. #15  
    Yep, I'd definitely buy one again. The complaints/problems I've seen were minor and in most cases easily solved. Didn't have a problem with PDF's, although haven't tried opening more than 3 or 4 of them.
  16. #16  
    For sure I would buy it again, even at $599 and my PDF fil.es open/work fine on my TouchPad plus the wireless printing is a nice complement to it. Looks like the majority of people in here like their TouchPads.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    If you knew before buying the HP touchpad that it didn't natively support avi/divx files, it doesn't accept the stylus pen as a way of input, it has choppy PDF support and it's dedicated app store applications are very limited would you still buy it? Given what you know now?
    Obviously biased OP is obvious.

    If I knew that it would be so useful for everything in my life, and that the "missing features" the OP listed are useless to most of the people using the Touchpad, and the pros completely outweigh the negatives, then yes, I would definitely purchase the Touchpad again.

    The only thing I'm missing is better PDF viewing, and even that doesn't affect me on a daily or even weekly basis.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amdo View Post
    @khan6831

    which of the major tablets provide native support avi/divx support ?

    - ipad 2 doesn't !
    - xoom doesn't !
    - playbook doesn't !
    - galaxy tab doesn't !

    looking at your other posts, you seemed to have no idea of what you were buying when you made the decision to purchase the Touchpad. i'm not even sure if you really own one.
    Galaxy tab 10.1 supports divx/avi/mpeg4/h.264 video files out of the box, haven't researched the xoom or playbook. as I stated earlier my samsung epic 4g running on android 2.2 runs almost every video file format out there so I was kind of expecting a tablet computer to do the same, i guess i was wrong.

    The sticking point here is that there is support but that support comes after paying $7....anyone else feel like you own one of the old school archo's products that charged for support of each video codec? lol

    I knew what I was buying, i didn't discover precentral.net until after I bought the touchpad though; it was only after I installed preware and was disappointed with it amongst other features that I decided to start posting. <<staff edit>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/16/2011 at 03:14 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Really man, TouchPad is supporting avi/divx via third party software so there is no real reason for complain. Also, modern touchscreen technology is not stylus input oriented. Everything is created for finger input, so this also is not valid complain.
    Limited app store is old and well known WebOS problem. HP managed to collect about 300 TouchPad specific apps for launch, about same amount like Honeycomb specific apps.
    Your choice of complaints is extremely strange to me. In my book you should be happy Touchpad user since you have so little complaints, all easily manageable via future software updates.
    ^^i wish i could read your book but the PDF support on this thing is choppy.

    There is reason to complain $7 worth of reason to complain. Finger input is not very precise, if you don't believe me go install the just draw app and try drawing with your finger. Im reading good things about the targus pens though so I might give them a go.

    All my complaints are valid I don't know why you would make such a ridiculous statement, the choppy PDF support is chief amongst my complaints...i own a few hundred books in pdf format and one of the main reasons for my touchpad purchase was to get me back into reading, the PDF support makes me not want to read on here because it is an annoyance.

    You might be a happy touchpad owner but your reasons for purchase were probably different than my own, don't assume that because something meets your needs it should automatically meet the needs of everyone.
    r-nice likes this.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    Galaxy tab 10.1 supports divx/avi/mpeg4/h.264 video files out of the box, haven't researched the xoom or playbook. as I stated earlier my samsung epic 4g running on android 2.2 runs almost every video file format out there so I was kind of expecting a tablet computer to do the same, i guess i was wrong.
    According to their website, these are the codecs supported out of the box:
    Video

    1080p playback, 720p capture Video Codec: MPEG4, H.264, H.263, XviD, WMV7/8, VP8, MP43, VC-1 Format: 3GP(MP4), WMV(asf), AVI
    I'm not vastly experienced in video playback, but is one of those another name for divx?

    Instead of fighting to make the TP do something you wish it did, would another more sensible approach be to convert the videos you'd like to put on your TP to mpeg4?

    BTW, along the lines of "research", this is what HP's website lists:
    TV and VideoQualcomm Adreno 220 core
    Video formats: MPEG-4 (H.263, H.264 encoded)
    There really isn't much excuse for not knowing what video formats it supported out of the box.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions