View Poll Results: Would you still buy the Touchpad if you knew all you know now beforehand?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Most definitely!! I love this thing!!

146 69.86%
  • Only if it was on sale

31 14.83%
  • Probably not, It's not much use to me with all the missing features

17 8.13%
  • Definitely not, this thing has been a huge waste of time

15 7.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Why do peole always compare the the Touchpad's apps to Honeycomb's? The OP is asking about the TP and the TP only.
    khan6831 likes this.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    According to their website, these are the codecs supported out of the box:

I'm not vastly experienced in video playback, but is one of those another name for divx?

Instead of fighting to make the TP do something you wish it did, would another more sensible approach be to convert the videos you'd like to put on your TP to mpeg4?
    those codecs include the divx format

no that is not very sensible to anyone that knows a thing or two about converting files, file conversion can take forever even with the strongest of PC's especially if you have a lot of video files
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    Why do peole always compare the the Touchpad's apps to Honeycomb's? The OP is askign about the TP and the TP only.
    exactly, there was no comparison in my original post
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    i love webos, but the touchpad still has like ZERO apps. I still cant text from the thing or facebook chat. if i could do it all again i would get a 10.1 android tab
    I see 8 video formats, 2 audio formats, "and many others" according to the description in the catalog. $7 wasn't much of a "sticking point" for me or 64 others that left positive reviews. 11 or so people left bad reviews, but who knows if things have changed for them since the app's been updated a few times....maybe they haven't changed their reviews, who knows?

There are quite a few polls out there already regarding how much you like your TouchPad, whether or not you'd still buy one etc.

Most answers people would re-buy and/or they are extremely satisfied. Make up your own mind. By the time Christmas rolls around, from the sounds of Syndil's thread (can't remember) there will be another half dozen to pick from and I'm pretty sure my gf will be getting one of those
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Why do peole always compare the the Touchpad's apps to Honeycomb's? The OP is asking about the TP and the TP only.
    because that directly affects if you would buy it again or not....
    Because the OP made subjective statements about "missing features". How are they "missing". The only features promised by HP that are not there is document editing, and he never mentioned that one.

So, it's safe to assume that by "missing", he means compared to other devices. Thus, the comparisons.

No, he didn't mention any devices specifically, but the implication was clear.

If it's to be taken literally, then the whole thread makes no sense, as the features he's complaining about aren't "missing", they were never promised.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Hmm... Divx isn't mentioned at all in the official support document.

Anyhow...
    Guys... let's get this back on topic. The original post is whether or not you would still buy a TouchPad after knowing what you know now. If this is just going to be another thread of arguments we will just delete all of the off-topic stuff.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fage88 View Post
    because that directly affects if you would buy it again or not....
    WAT

How many apps Honeycomb has shouldn't justify the size of webOS's catalog. They compare it to HC but won't comapre it to the App Store...
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    those codecs include the divx format
    Not the way I read the information about Divx. Divx includes some of those formats, but not the other way around.

Can you be specific, I really don't mind being educated.

no that is not very sensible to anyone that knows a thing or two about converting files, file conversion can take forever even with the strongest of PC's especially if you have a lot of video files
    The TouchPad has 32gb of storage on it (16 for the smaller unit). I've ripped several files from DVD's, and none took over an hour. I'm obviously not going to put my entire collection on the device. So, maxium of 16 vidoes at an hour each, as I need them, I really don't see the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hmm... Divx isn't mentioned at all in the official support document.

Anyhow...
    Guys... let's get this back on topic. The original post is whether or not you would still buy a TouchPad after knowing what you know now. If this is just going to be another thread of arguments we will just delete all of the off-topic stuff.
    That was blackberry.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    you dont base your decision on the competition???
    Syndil likes this.
  13.    #33  
    Because the OP made subjective statements about "missing features". How are they "missing". The only features promised by HP that are not there is document editing, and he never mentioned that one.

So, it's safe to assume that by "missing", he means compared to other devices. Thus, the comparisons.

No, he didn't mention any devices specifically, but the implication was clear.

If it's to be taken literally, then the whole thread makes no sense, as the features he's complaining about aren't "missing", they were never promised.
    Its really very simple if you think about it HP never promised us any of the features but its what you would expect out of a tablet. This doesn't mean compared to other tablets as I have never owned another tablet so I would have nothing to compare it to. The assumption was made that PDF support would be good because it was included, it would support many video codecs and I would be able to write on it with any type of pen, these are the typical assumptions I made of any tablet.

These features I was looking for were missing, had I known about them (and had I been given adequate time to research (partly due to a sale frenzy)) I might have stopped myself from opening up the wallet so quickly. So I created this poll to see how others would react if they could take it all back now. No need to analyze my words or go into a never ending debate, simply answer the question and be on your way
  14.    #34  
    Not the way I read the information about Divx. Divx includes some of those formats, but not the other way around.

Can you be specific, I really don't mind being educated.

The TouchPad has 32gb of storage on it (16 for the smaller unit). I've ripped several files from DVD's, and none took over an hour. I'm obviously not going to put my entire collection on the device. So, maxium of 16 vidoes at an hour each, as I need them, I really don't see the problem.
    yes that's 16 hours of conversion according to your statement, I would describe that as a pain i dont know how you would characterize it as....
    what might work out with you might not work out with everyone else, the problem is its a pain to convert files from one format to anyone period.
    this is not a courtroom no need to pick arguments about every sentence
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I see 8 video formats, 2 audio formats, "and many others" according to the description in the catalog. $7 wasn't much of a "sticking point" for me or 64 others that left positive reviews. 11 or so people left bad reviews, but who knows if things have changed for them since the app's been updated a few times....maybe they haven't changed their reviews, who knows?
    I *bought* kalemsoft, still haven't used it (last weekend was crazy), hoping to play with it this weekend and get it setup with my HTPC.

So to the OP, regardless of what video codecs came natively, I would have paid the $7 because it gives features not available out of the box on any tablet I know of (other than a Windows PC based tablet). Technically if I wanted to run Linux on my TP, I could then accomplish complete streaming of my HTPC to my TP without paying the $7, once again I don't think any tablet other than Windows PC based can do that.

Then again, I knew everything you have put forth in your questions long before buying, so yes I would buy again. What I didn't know is that I would end up getting $160 off, and $50 app credit, plus the discounted bundle price I got.... VERY HAPPY here!!! Any time I can make a purchase and money just keeps getting given to me, that increases my level of satisfaction.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    You might be a happy touchpad owner but your reasons for purchase were probably different than my own, don't assume that because something meets your needs it should automatically meet the needs of everyone.
    I'm not Touchpad owner and my reasons why I won't buy it are totally different than yours, and I've stated all of them in this thread

For me, your only valid complaint is about PDF reader.
    DivX rant is not valid because it's not industry standard codec in first place, and you can buy an app that offers avi container playback of divx encoded material among many other options.
    I have tons of mkv container files encoded in x.264, and I can't complain why no tablet offers out of the box mkv playback.

I believe you that finger input is not precise enough, but industry went other way from stylus input method. As suggested, you can find alternate stylus solutions that can work on capacitive displays.

That is why I said you should be really happy TP user, because you have only one real complaint related to TP - PDF quality, and other complaints are right now manageable by adding few bucks ontop TP or by lowering your expectations from it.

Homebrew rant was also distasteful, but OK, now you know what is homebrew and what to expect from it.
    sledge007 likes this.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I'm not Touchpad owner and my reasons why I won't buy it are totally different than yours, and I've stated all of them in this thread

For me, your only valid complaint is about PDF reader.
    DivX rant is not valid because it's not industry standard codec in first place, and you can buy an app that offers avi container playback of divx encoded material among many other options.
    I have tons of mkv container files encoded in x.264, and I can't complain why no tablet offers out of the box mkv playback.

I believe you that finger input is not precise enough, but industry went other way from stylus input method. As suggested, you can find alternate stylus solutions that can work on capacitive displays.

That is why I said you should be really happy TP user, because you have only one real complaint related to TP - PDF quality, and other complaints are right now manageable by adding few bucks ontop TP or by lowering your expectations from it.

Homebrew rant was also distasteful, but OK, now you know what is homebrew and what to expect from it.
    okay so i went from having no valid complaints to having one real complaint and other complaints that are manageable. this poll was obviously not intended for you but thanks for your input
    That was blackberry.
    Oh, my mistake... I was thinking that comparison was with the PlayBook for some reason.
    ever since the update I got this in my lap from when I get home to bedtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by fage88 View Post
    i love webos, but the touchpad still has like ZERO apps. I still cant text from the thing or facebook chat. if i could do it all again i would get a 10.1 android tab
    Which also has like zero tablet apps....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast