Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I did an exchange service order today on my Touchpad because of the hairline cracks at the case's speaker ports. Found, in the confirmation e-mail) that I was charged a $59 service order fee (plus tax). Called back and the CSR apologized for the incorrect charge but said they couldn't reverse it for me. She told me I would have to fax HP a copy of my credit card statement to confirm that the fee had actually been charged. Then they could process a credit.

After the most bizarre customer service conversations I've ever had, I find the HP can't simply correct their mistake and process a credit to my credit card without me printing out my credit card statement and sending it to them to confirm their mistake.

I've been close to three customer service experiences over the past few weeks (1. iPad WiFi radio breaks, wife walks out of the Apple store in 10 minutes with a new iPad; 2. Same thing with my grandson's cracked IPod Touch; 3. My Kindle with a hairline crack today, replacement on it's way with no fee). All these experiences left happy customers, more likely to purchase Apple or Amazon products again.

Please HP, enable your people to fix their mistakes. Fix your processes so that you leave your customers happy vs angry.

Anyone else experience something similar?

PS: sorry for the rant.
    There should be three options that costs free, $30, $60, you should have been given these options clearly.

We have a resident HP support here, you might want to PM him to get this straight out. The CS team is definitely not on the same page here.
    that sucks. My touchpad just got a full crack on one speaker side. I've been babying this thing too. Anyone know if Staples will accept a return even if there is this small crack? My 14 day window ends Friday.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Staples should, and they probably won't notice it anyway. Just do a exchange for a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    Staples should, and they probably won't notice it anyway. Just do a exchange for a new one.
    I'd rather just return it because I can get it cheaper from another source and not have to pay tax. I hope there isn't any restocking fees. It would be a shame to wipe the device only to find out the return won't work out for me.
    Staples swapped mine inside the 14-day window. They even let me open multiple boxes until we got one that was not cracked, warped, or unseated.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    I'd rather just return it because I can get it cheaper from another source and not have to pay tax. I hope there isn't any restocking fees. It would be a shame to wipe the device only to find out the return won't work out for me.
    That's kinda shady though. Let Staples keep the sale, it'll encourage them to continue supporting the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    That's kinda shady though. Let Staples keep the sale, it'll encourage them to continue supporting the device.

Staples swapped mine inside the 14-day window. They even let me open multiple boxes until we got one that was not cracked, warped, or unseated.
    I might do that then
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    There should be three options that costs free, $30, $60, you should have been given these options clearly.

We have a resident HP support here, you might want to PM him to get this straight out. The CS team is definitely not on the same page here.
    The CS team is following proper procedure (as silly as it may seem). The issue is a charge dispute, when someone disputes a charge we ask for proof of the charge so that we can have a copy of it on our records and process the refund.

Seems the CS team is doing what they need to do to ensure the issue is being addressed.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The CS team is following proper procedure (as silly as it may seem). The issue is a charge dispute, when someone disputes a charge we ask for proof of the charge so that we can have a copy of it on our records and process the refund.

Seems the CS team is doing what they need to do to ensure the issue is being addressed.
    Was customer told by the csr of the three options during the call? Why was he suprised if he was told of the expected charge?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I processed a return yesterday myself on a crack. The first person I spoke with set up the advanced exchange, and having read of this issue here, I asked and confirmed that there was no advanced exchange fee. There was apparently some issue getting my credit card info (for a deposit while the exchange is processed - that makes perfect sense) so I had to call back. When I called back, the person I spoke with said there would be a fee and when I complained about it, he went away to ask his supervisor and told me he wasn't authorized to waive the fee and someone would call me back. Then the first guy calls back and assures me that he has waived the fee and I wouldn't be be charged.

This brings up a number of questions:
    1) Why would there ever be a fee for replacing a defective product (especially when it is what appears to be a widespread issue)?
    2) Why are some people authorized to waive the fee and some people are not?
    3) Why does whether or not I might have to deal with this silliness depend on who happens to answer the phone?

From what I can see, at the end of the day, HP is taking care of customers and getting replacement units out to the customers, but the whole experience seems to be a bit messed up.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    How many boxes?..........
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

"Proper Procedure (as silly as it may seem)" You gotta be kiddin'!
    The PAYING customer has to do ALL that jumpin' thru hoops?
    Proper procedure should STOP this kind of nonsense.
    It's a deal breaker.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Staples does not charge a restocking fee I confirmed this prior to purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post
    "Proper Procedure (as silly as it may seem)" You gotta be kiddin'!
    The PAYING customer has to do ALL that jumpin' thru hoops?
    Proper procedure should STOP this kind of nonsense.
    It's a deal breaker.
    How many places do you get a refund without proof of purchase?
    Last edited by HardBeatZ; 08/16/2011 at 11:16 AM.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

How many places do you get a refund with proof of purchase?
    You meant "without"?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    You meant "without"?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Correct, sorry fixed. Multi tasking fail.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bill2455 View Post
    Found, in the confirmation e-mail) that I was charged a $59 service order fee (plus tax).
    How many places do you get a refund without proof of purchase?
    How many places require your credit card bill in addition to a receipt to confirm a charge and issue a refund?
    Correct, sorry fixed. Multi tasking fail.
    His service ticket is in the system, he has a email confirmation, those should be enough, heck, I got refund from bb and frys just with my id, no receipt at all.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by cthetford View Post
    This brings up a number of questions:
    1) Why would there ever be a fee for replacing a defective product (especially when it is what appears to be a widespread issue)?
    2) Why are some people authorized to waive the fee and some people are not?
    3) Why does whether or not I might have to deal with this silliness depend on who happens to answer the phone?
    These are exactly the issues that have had me wondering about the ethics of HP. That the replacement has been neccesitated due to the 'manufacturing defect' that HP is responsible for, has already been established by the fact that HP has agreed to replace the cracked units. Thus, for them to charge any kind of fees, other than for maybe expedited shipping, is not just ridicuolous but amounts to them actually making money off of the misery of their customers. I would think, that they ought to be going out of their way to appease a customer who has already suffered due to the 'manufacturing defect' that HP is responsible for, rather than being opportunistic. Bottom line is, I understand any charges for 'expedited shipping' and credit card hold for the price of the advance replacement unit. But any charge, no matter how small, for providing the advance replacement service itself, is totally unacceptable and does not say much for HP's customer service.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast