Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1.    #1  
    Man, I feel bad for having to say this . .

I wish the touchpad didn't feel so cheaply built.

I went to BBuy and played with their pristine working demo and the very first thing I noticed was that it felt really plasticky.

Trust ME - I did not want to feel as crushed as I do now - I am a looong-time Palm device fan and I went backwards from an android phone to my beloved palm pixi.

Performance-wise it is a great tablet that should have been delivered to market first thing accompanying the first release Pre's and Pixi's.

I LOVE WebOs, I really do, but HP needs to think hard about this tablet - and either tighten the cosmetics of this touchpad for the retail consumer or come up with a ton of connectivity options for the business warrior . . .

** the following is a bit off-topic for the original purpose of my post, but how else am I going to get attention to my wish-list ;-) **

I know, I know - all the tech companies want us to go with Synergy and Cloud services - but none of that helps me in the field to get data files FAST into my touchpad. In the absence of Wifi or 3G/4G services I need usb-in, IR, and a seriously better bluetooth manager that allows ALL object file pushing/transfering- seriously, Apple's iPad's bluetooth manager is rediculously easier to use.
    doctj likes this.
    Buy the HP Case. Put it on. It doesn't feel cheaply made. Quit feeling bad, do something about it!
    Pulp likes this.
    Aren't all tablets made of plastic?
    This is no news, its $399 anyway.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    plastic material tends to feel plasticky... just based on my life experince.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Aren't all tablets made of plastic?
    Nope. A lot of competing tablets use aluminum.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Nope. A lot of competing tablets use aluminum.
    But those feel so "metallicy" and I don't get how they have to feel that way! /bad joke/sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    But those feel so "metallicy" and I don't get how they have to feel that way! /bad joke/sarcasm
    Sure everybody has their own preference, business needs to target the majority.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Sorry, but I think it feels great. Solid and professional.

Alan
    IGNTNUNLMTD and varavant like this.
    Aluminum vs Plastic weight information

Aluminum vs Plastic weight information
    As a Design Engineer, I design my machines in Inventor, a 3-D Parametric package. I was drawing some components for my Rustler and when I assigned the material to them I noticed something, for a 1/4" x 2" x 2" piece: Just thought I would pass this in case there are people are thinking that aluminum is lighter than plastic. Aluminum is stronger per pound.

Aluminum = .098 lbs.
    UHMW (Plastic) = .034 lbs.
    Delrin (Plastic) = .051 lbs.
    Then the TouchPad would weigh even more. (and it's already so heavy)
    Last edited by sledge007; 08/15/2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: way...weigh...fixed.
    Weird. I wonder why the TouchPad is heavier than some of the other tablets that are built using aluminum.
    Weird. I wonder why the TouchPad is heavier than some of the other tablets that are built using aluminum.
    Use less? It might not take same mass of Al to make a case as plastic.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    plastic material tends to feel plasticky... just based on my life experince.
    and wood feels woody
    Probably the coils for inductive charging, and an extra speaker. Possibly bigger speakers as well.
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    I would blame the speakers and gorilla glass for most the weight.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    The inductive charging wont work through a metal back (Faraday Cage).

I'm looking forward to the day when everyone replaces metal and plastic backs with strong light weight shatter resistant ceramics.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    reggieb likes this.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    never noticed since the HP case feels great. Mine could have a metal back and would never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    The inductive charging wont work through a metal back (Faraday Cage).
    Thats the most logical explanation I have read. People should stop complaining about the plastic back now.
    ive had mine for about a week now and it doesnt feel cheap at all. its solid, it has no give. this plasticky thing is way over blown. if anything i wish the back was more like the touchstone backs on the phones.
    RoverNole likes this.
    They should have used carbon fibre. Who doesn't like that?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast