Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    How about Teflon? lol
    It appears that it's the same material that is used for HP's PC and monitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    They should have used carbon fibre. Who doesn't like that?
    Actually I was going to say, that's really the next step for consumer electronics once it gets cheap enough to mass produce.
    I hate the glassy feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    plastic material tends to feel plasticky... just based on my life experince.
    You beat me too it!

Buy one of the many cases or try one of the skins.

Amazon.com: hp touchpad case

The HP case is excellent but it tends to warp if you live in a very hot area.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    It appears that it's the same material that is used for HP's PC and monitors.
    Now that you mention it....I never noticed...probably because I don't pick up my monitor, or touch it for that matter. My HP w2048 monitor feels almost the same!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Probably the coils for inductive charging, and an extra speaker. Possibly bigger speakers as well.
    This. This. A thousand times this. The TouchPad is the only tablet I'm aware of with built-in inductive charging and stereo speakers. Of course none of the press reviews cared for those unique features; all they cared for was that it's heavier than the iPad 2, which made it an instant failure in their eyes.

A lot of people are only looking at what the TouchPad does worse than the competition without caring one bit for what it does better. At least, looking at Amazon reviews, it's obvious that the TouchPad's actual customers are feeling completely different about it. Otherwise it wouldn't be the consistently best-rated tablet (highest average rating, most five-star-reviews and fewest one-star-reviews relative to the total number of reviews, highest number of reviews per month) on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    How can you love WebOS and have this be your first post on PreCentral in over a year?
    Make that "first post EVER"
    maybe because it's made of plastic.
    I think the the TouchPad is a well built piece of hardware. I put he HP case on it and it feels great. I'm just bummed that some dust has made its way under the glass :-(
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    You love your Pixi, but you think the TP feels cheap?
    hmm
    Midway99 and dj ozone like this.
    touchpsd feels awesome and even better in the hp case
    I think that the Touchpad is made of plastic, which probably lends to it feeling like plastic. I could be wrong though. I don't think that I've encountered plastic that feels like metal.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Would it have been viable for HP to make the TouchPad back out of the same material as the Pre Touchstone rubberized-cover? I think the Pre TS cover has a nice feel to, isn't shiny, doesn't attract fingerprints and allows for a good grip.

I don't see why it wouldn't work but maybe the cost of the different material would have driven up price?
    I am, therefore I think
    tharrison4815 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Would it have been viable for HP to make the TouchPad back out of the same material as the Pre Touchstone rubberized-cover? I think the Pre TS cover has a nice feel to, isn't shiny, doesn't attract fingerprints and allows for a good grip.

I don't see why it wouldn't work but maybe the cost of the different material would have driven up price?
    Yeah, I like that material as well. The rubberized backing feeling would be awesome.
    tharrison4815 likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    plastic material tends to feel plasticky... just based on my life experince.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    But those feel so "metallicy" and I don't get how they have to feel that way! /bad joke/sarcasm

I laughed at those comments. Good thing most people are at lunch when I read it.

On a more serious side... I imagine the back cover needs to be plastic for various reasons. All the laptops I've ever used in the past 12 years have mostly plastic covering, so I suppose I'm used to it. If the cover was fabricated in a different way, we'd probably find fault with that as well.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    The inductive charging wont work through a metal back (Faraday Cage).

I'm looking forward to the day when everyone replaces metal and plastic backs with strong light weight shatter resistant ceramics.
    This isn't to imply they can't make a metal back with a hole, and fill it with plastic, glass, or something nonmetallic for the inductive charger to beam through.

I actually like the idea of a metal back with a gorilla glass covered HP logo dead center (mostly because it would imply I could charge it in any orientation, not just 2).
    Last edited by Honis; 08/24/2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: english
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    It doesn't bother me. If I were changing it, I would make it somewhat 'non-slidy' , give it a bit of grip (but I guess that's what the case is for...).
    I vote for a Pre-like rubber coating. I don't mind the look or feel of the TP at all, I quite like it. Its just a little awkward to hold, especially if you have drier hands than most.
    wish they just made the touchpad with the case built in, rubbery case is infinitely better than the glossy hard plastic. I know they want to sell accessories, but touchpad would present to buyers better with the rubberized stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    They should have used carbon fibre. Who doesn't like that?
    dude, dude, dude

then I could take my TP and live my life a quarter mile at a time.....
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    sledge007 likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast