Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sweet greggo
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Do you suppose HP knew before launch that they would be giving out $50 app credits? I know that in my case I've bought a number of apps which I probably wouldn't have if the money wasn't "already spent". Could they have set the launch price high with the full intention of later giving out $50 app credits in order to greatly inflate app sales numbers?

I guess I don't really have a problem with it, if so.
    Everything is based on sales. Somewhere in the bowels of HP is a graph that details what marketing steps are to be taken depending on the level of sales at any given time.
    sorli likes this.
    I don't know if they planned it from the very get-go, but the $50 app voucher was certainly a really clever way to get a win-win situation for EVERYONE involved: HP, customers and, perhaps most of all, developers, whose happiness is a boon for the platform at large.

One reason I think it may not have been the plan from the beginning is that the voucher has only been offered in the USA and nowhere else. So it seems a reaction to very vocal Americans feeling slighted because a product they bought while expensive was discounted (while hanging on in quiet desperation is not just the British, but the European way.) But I could be wrong.
    HP no doubt has several contingency plans. When they launched the TouchPad I'm sure they budgetted for a variety of market reactions. Right now they have to concentrate on building marketshare and that includes building some sort of customer loyalty. Its not enough to just show stellar sales, they have to keep people on the platform and buying apps. Looks like everything is going as planned, we just don't know if it was Plan B, C, or D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    HP no doubt has several contingency plans. [...] we just don't know if it was Plan B, C, or D.
    Dude, this is PreCentral you're posting in... haven't you heard? Nobody at HP can read or write, much less understand what "contingency" even means.
    All they can do is release last-year hardware next year.

When they lower prices, it's either a stupid accident or a result of their stupidity.
    It most certainly is NOT because their six-figures-a-year market analysts have worked up a hermetic contingency strategy with responses to every possible market reaction.

()
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    HP no doubt has several contingency plans. When they launched the TouchPad I'm sure they budgetted for a variety of market reactions. Right now they have to concentrate on building marketshare and that includes building some sort of customer loyalty. Its not enough to just show stellar sales, they have to keep people on the platform and buying apps. Looks like everything is going as planned, we just don't know if it was Plan B, C, or D.
    Its definitely not plan A. Thats was the $499 plan.

I believe we are on plan B.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    One would think that HP would want to have pressed the issue sufficiently prior to release to incentivize app makers to make apps for the upcoming “flood” of $50 ticket holders (probably won’t get many app makers to jump on it if it would still take them a couple weeks to get their app ready now.)

However, would that have turned off purchasers to know that they were being ‘round-about forced to pay for apps up front with the purchase of the tablet? Don’t know.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Its definitely not plan A. Thats was the $499 plan.

I believe we are on plan B.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    This sums it up pretty succinctly. Maybe exchange "B" for "C."

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    This sums it up pretty succinctly. Maybe exchange "B" for "C."

-Suntan
    agree! At least it seems like we are on some sort of a plan!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!