Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Forgive me as I'm sure this is a fairly common question. I've done some research and am fairly certain the answer is no but I'd like to make sure as it is the only thing holding me back from purchasing the touchpad.

My scenario is as follows:

I'll have two devices (touchpad and a digital camera, SLR). I'd like to be able to take only those two devices on trips with me and be able to send my pictures to family members while on vacation. This means I need to eb able to transfer the files from my Camera (SD card) to the touch.

The camera can connect to a PC directly as a usb device or I can remove the card and place it in a reader.

Is there any way that my camera can connect to the touch (either via cable or SD card adapter) that will let me move the files from one device to another?

Thanks in advance.
    nope you would need a computer for that. Touchpad cannot transfer with the camera attached directly.
    What about one of those wifi SD cards...would that work from a camera, or does the wifi SD card have to be inserted into some other device other than the camera to get it's "juice" to run?

Here is a link to one such card, would it work?

Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo & video uploads straight from your camera to your computer & the web.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

box.net, drop box, email attachments, wifi media sync (app), etc.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    box.net, drop box, email attachments, wifi media sync (app), etc.
    As of now he'll still need an eye-fi card to transfer files from his camera to photobucket or other supported sites without a PC. I don't think box.net is currently supported by eye-fi. I had a similar scenario but used my wife's laptop to get the photos to box.net HP needs to enable USB host on this thing ASAP.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Also try ZumoDrive. I use it for music files at times. If you really want your music @ your fingertips try setting up Ampache Pre. I had it working pretty well on my Pre-. Takes a little work but once you set it your whole music library is yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    What about one of those wifi SD cards...would that work from a camera, or does the wifi SD card have to be inserted into some other device other than the camera to get it's "juice" to run?

Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo & video uploads straight from your camera to your computer & the web.
    I have a couple eye-fi cards and they work great... you can upload from the camera just fine as long as a hot-spot is in range... some models support adhoc mode, so you can upload to a local device (ie laptop) as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdamrican View Post
    I have a couple eye-fi cards and they work great... you can upload from the camera just fine as long as a hot-spot is in range... some models support adhoc mode, so you can upload to a local device (ie laptop) as well.
    But can you wirelessly upload directly to the touchpad?

I've wondered about this functionality myself. It's coming to Android bit by bit (suprisingly faster than it is to ipad) but nobody really has a tablet that truely caters to photography buffs yet.

-Suntan
    No, unfortnately, you will have to bring a laptop... Hopefully there will be some sort of sd card reader adapter for tp soon, or sd enabled future tp.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  10.    #10  
    My understanding is you would need both the touchpad and eye-fi card to be connected to a third party wi-fi connection. It would not work if you were in the woods with only the touchpad and the camera. Is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by hamoncules View Post
    My understanding is you would need both the touchpad and eye-fi card to be connected to a third party wi-fi connection. It would not work if you were in the woods with only the touchpad and the camera. Is that correct?
    Correct.

Ps, as I understand, it has a direct mode, in which it can creat a wifi by itself and connect to its app (android or iOS) to do direct upload.

Maybe some hacking can make it work with tp?
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Unless you were at Rutt and Tuke's Internet Cafe... They get pretty good 3G signal collection with their antlers, so they generate their very own hotspot.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

bluenote likes this.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Yes, via box.net if supported or photobucket unless you had a phone with a mobile hotspot.
    Last edited by doctj; 08/15/2011 at 03:10 PM.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    bevcraw likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    But can you wirelessly upload directly to the touchpad?

I've wondered about this functionality myself. It's coming to Android bit by bit (suprisingly faster than it is to ipad) but nobody really has a tablet that truely caters to photography buffs yet.

-Suntan
    There is no way whatsoever to copy photos direct from your camera to your TP. You have to use an intermediate service, which most likely means an intermediate device (pc, laptop).

I believe eye-fi can copy direct via wifi to Android and IOS. Don't know if there are any plans to support the TP.
    Had anyone actually tried to transfer from an eye-fi card to the TouchPad or is this a theoretical discussion? I would like to hear from someone who has tried it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post

Wow!
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    There is no way whatsoever to copy photos direct from your camera to your TP. You have to use an intermediate service, which most likely means an intermediate device (pc, laptop).

I believe eye-fi can copy direct via wifi to Android and IOS. Don't know if there are any plans to support the TP.
    Eye-fi can upload directly to certain photosharing sites from which the Touchpad could download the pics (photobucket, snapfish) so you could bypass a pc.
    Last edited by doctj; 08/15/2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Eye-fi can upload directly to certain photosharing sites from which the Touchpad could download the pics (photobucket, snapfish) so you could bypass a pc.
    How robust are the eye fi things? Can you just stop by a McDonalds, say, and the thing will detect the free wifi and upload? Or do you have to do certain configuration steps every time it meets a new wifi network?

Also, do those sites support raw files? (For that matter does the TP support raw files?) If you tended to shoot in raw can you load just a couple to the TP and convert them to jpg for emailing while on vacation?

-Suntan
    How about using Internalz Pro? Can the eye-fi or other such device be mounted as a network share?
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    How robust are the eye fi things? Can you just stop by a McDonalds, say, and the thing will detect the free wifi and upload? Or do you have to do certain configuration steps every time it meets a new wifi network?

Also, do those sites support raw files? (For that matter does the TP support raw files?) If you tended to shoot in raw can you load just a couple to the TP and convert them to jpg for emailing while on vacation?

-Suntan
    Certain models can recognize wifi hotspots (starbucks, AT&T, not sure about McD) throughout the USA and upload automatically, not sure about overseas though. Not all photosharing sites support RAW format, I would find it highly unlikely that Touchpad would support RAW when windows only provided support for it in windows 7 a few weeks ago.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast