Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
  1.    #1  
    I understand the app market is limited on apps for the HP touchpad so I installed preware hoping to get some touchpad dedicated applications.....Is it just me or are there literally no applications (except for the patches) dedicated to the touchpad, I can't find anything.......

Instead all I am ever able to install is applications that are made for the web o.s. phones which only appear in a small phone sized box. (I wish they would allow us to scale these apps so they would at least fill up the touchpad's screen)

Where the the homebrew community on this one?
    maybe not in preware, but in the catalog there are more than 300 touchpad-specific apps.
  3.    #3  
    The app catalog is garbage, they would like us to pay $7 for an app that allows avi/divx files to be played on the touchpad when this feature should have been supported natively. smh @ HP
    I guess my question is why has the homebrew community not many any apps for the hp touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    The app catalog is garbage, they would like us to pay $7 for an app that allows avi/divx files to be played on the touchpad when this feature should have been supported natively. smh @ HP
    I guess my question is why has the homebrew community not many any apps for the hp touchpad?
    Well, I cant speak for touchpad, but with my pre, preware mostly offers patches, there are some, but not a whole lot of apps.

Is there any particular app you want?

Ps, I want to add, the price of $7 is indeed too high, its not a lot, but its a meal amount. Software developer is taking advantages of the situation, I understand its how system works, but just dont feel its right.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Last edited by clevin; 08/15/2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Check out this http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eo-codecs.html
    1. $7.00 is the price of one app there are many other apps some more and some free.

2. Avi / divx support has never been stated to work out of the box and currently no other tablet supports them.

3. Homebrew community develops patches not necessarily apps, if you are looking for apps there is the App Catalog.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Maybe because they don't feel like working for free, just to satisfy folks that feel they're somehow entitled to get other people's work for free.

Personally, I think $7 is a pretty good bargain for the app, and who declared that AVI/DIVX "should" have been supported natively? It certainly wasn't promised by HP.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    threed61#WN and DaveInFL like this.
    <<thread cleansed>>

Guys - stay on topic by providing a helpful answer to the OP. This isn't about every other platform out on the market, or arguing with other members over every little point - that simply isn't enjoyable for all of the rest of the members. Please refer to our Letter to Members if you don't understand.

Thanks
    bevcraw likes this.
    Really? $7 for a avi/divx playback? What's the name of this app. Given that I still have quite a bit of the $50 of the app code given to us by HP, I might get this (depending on reviews). I have LOTS of movies that are in the divx format. Many more than I do mp4 format.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    threed61#WN likes this.
    I will say its pretty early for more apps but I was kind of p/o about weather.com half <waying> their tp app
    @Achill3s

Kalemsoft Media Player for Touchpad.

Works like a charme for me, as i have a lot of divx files that i refuse to spend time to convert to other formats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Really? $7 for a avi/divx playback? What's the name of this app. Given that I still have quite a bit of the $50 of the app code given to us by HP, I might get this (depending on reviews). I have LOTS of movies that are in the divx format. Many more than I do mp4 format.
    It's called KalemSoft Media Player. It is pretty sweet and well worth the price because it includes a streaming server for your Windows desktop. You can leave your media files on your desktop/laptop and stream them directly to your Touchpad or Pre.

BTW, I started a thread a while back about my trials and errors while streaming media to the Touchpad. I had trouble setting up serveral UPnP servers to transcode and stream video to my Touchpad. I even paid $20 for a server that I'm trying to get my money back on. I settled on Playon, which cost $4.99 a month, $39.99 a year, or $79.99 for a lifetime subscription. Playon provides Netflix, Hulu, transcoding, and a lot of other services. Before my free trial was up, KalemSoft Media Player and streaming server came out. I bought it instead. I also bought VideoFlood HD which takes care of my TV needs. Both were well worth the price when you considered how much I would still be paying for Playon. I really don't understand the complaints here about the price. First, I would rather pay then have the hassle. Second, nothing is truly free.
    I understand the app market is limited on apps for the HP touchpad so I installed preware hoping to get some touchpad dedicated applications.....Is it just me or are there literally no applications (except for the patches) dedicated to the touchpad, I can't find anything.......

Instead all I am ever able to install is applications that are made for the web o.s. phones which only appear in a small phone sized box. (I wish they would allow us to scale these apps so they would at least fill up the touchpad's screen)

Where the the homebrew community on this one?
    I feel your pain. The patches are great because they speed up the Touchpad, but the apps aren't there (with the exception of Internalz) unless they run in the emulator. There is also only one theme out of the over 2000 for the Touchpad. It's an excellent theme, but after a month and a half I expected there to be more. Is the homebrew community not going to embrace the Touchpad?
    jtnova and khan6831 like this.
    I think the way HP has embraced developers with the ease and low cost membership for submitting apps to the catalog, I'm not sure there is much need for publishing full apps to preware anymore unless the developer is testing.

The platform is so open that it takes a significant need to develop a linux app or service that could not get authorized in the app catalog due to hardware api hacking or otherwise and the only other avenue is homebrew/preware. Internalz for example cannot go mainstream because it relies on the FileMgr service that would never be authorized in the App Catalog. But many of the early homebrew apps like KalemSoft Media player and numerous games have gone mainstream and have abandoned their homebrew projects, and you know what, its ok because it give me confidence in the platform and eco-system as a whole to see many original apps grow up and go mainstream.

There is no jail-braking or rooting here and early concerns about platform control are no longer concerns. Two years ago when webOS first launched, Palm initially tried to hold a tighter grip on development and therefore homebrew was born, but the development eco-system has changed significantly and I think there is less need now.

Besides if the developer wants the maximum exposure they have to publish to the catalog anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my patches very much and support homebrew and many apps would not be where they are today without homebrew, but I am ok with where development has gone and hope to have an app or two of my own released soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amdo View Post
    @Achill3s

Kalemsoft Media Player for Touchpad.

Works like a charme for me, as i have a lot of divx files that i refuse to spend time to convert to other formats.
    In addition, it will stream videos from your PC to your TouchPad on you local network.
  16.    #16  
    I guess my biggest gripe with the touchpad is that there is no rooting or jailbreaking it. When the ipad is jailbroken most of the applications can be obtained for free, the android tablets can also be made to run applications loaded to them without buying from the app store. This doesn't exist in WebOS as the preware applications are different than the app catalog applications.

@hparsons - It is my belief that if I invest $400 on a touchpad you should be able to get good apps for free so that you can get your tablet going, but most (if not all) of the good apps are only available after purchase.

@hardbeatz - there are many tablets on the market that natively support Avi/Divx, heck my samsung epic 4g supports playback of almost all formats....this should come standard
    I guess my biggest gripe with the touchpad is that there is no rooting or jailbreaking it. When the ipad is jailbroken most of the applications can be obtained for free, the android tablets can also be made to run applications loaded to them without buying from the app store. This doesn't exist in WebOS as the preware applications are different than the app catalog applications.
    so you're upset that you can't pirate apps? I don't think you'll find a lot of sympathy for that view.

@hparsons - It is my belief that if I invest $400 on a touchpad you should be able to get good apps for free so that you can get your tablet going, but most (if not all) of the good apps are only available after purchase.

@hardbeatz - there are many tablets on the market that natively support Avi/Divx, heck my samsung epic 4g supports playback of almost all formats....this should come standard
    Jailbreaking doesn't get you paid apps for free, it just allows you to install them after you steal them.

You don't have to jailbreak the TouchPad. Any apps that people distribute for free you can install.

Why do you feel developers should make quality apps for free?
    Last edited by hparsons; 08/15/2011 at 11:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post

That is the reason hp touchpad has 300 Apps in only 1 month and all of them of high quality and Android was struggling with only 100 low quality apps for the first few months and that's the reason Android has almost 1% high-quality apps and iOS that is limited by the "closed" ecosystem has way more than that.
    BTW Android at the moment has 292 apps optimized for tablets.. lol lol lol lol I can't show you how much I laugh at the moment and how angry I am that all the reviews where pointing out that that there are only a few apps for the touchpad when in fact the apps are more than those of Android!!!!!
    there is the whole tragedy in here: there are the trivial many and the vital few.... more apps but the <<deleted by mod>> worng ones!! I dont need a bunch of games. I need a functioning calendar that reliably syncs with my cloud calender no matter where it is (mine is google , not really a small, uncommon one ).
    i need a mail program that is fully functionablbe
    i need a printer functionality that makes it able to print on all my printers, not only new hp printers
    i need document editing (i know it will come one day, but i have bought it NOW not one day)
    pdf is old , why not working.....

andsoonandsoonandson

and the question is not that i or whoever could have known. there are things that must go without saying.

for the rest: it sucks that people think they have a "right" on the work of others without paying for it. just as with films and music, take them to prison! it takes me wonder what sort of study the guy does. most likely he will later on earn money through intellectual work, ....
    but as long as companies like hp sell products as the TP it feels they do the same with me: take my money without giving value for it... take leo apotheker to prison as well!
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/16/2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: language!
    Quote Originally Posted by khe05 View Post
    there is the whole tragedy in here: there are the trivial many and the vital few.... more apps but the <<mod delete>> worng ones!! I dont need a bunch of games. I need a functioning calendar that reliably syncs with my cloud calender no matter where it is (mine is google , not really a small, uncommon one ).
    i need a mail program that is fully functionablbe
    i need a printer functionality that makes it able to print on all my printers, not only new hp printers
    i need document editing (i know it will come one day, but i have bought it NOW not one day)
    pdf is old , why not working.....

andsoonandsoonandson

and the question is not that i or whoever could have known. there are things that must go without saying.

for the rest: it sucks that people think they have a "right" on the work of others without paying for it. just as with films and music, take them to prison! it takes me wonder what sort of study the guy does. most likely he will later on earn money through intellectual work, ....
    but as long as companies like hp sell products as the TP it feels they do the same with me: take my money without giving value for it... take leo apotheker to prison as well!
    No one forced you to buy a pad that clearly does not work for you. The strengths and weaknesses are well known and yet you chose to buy. who's fault is that? Worse yet, with all the problems you have NOW, you are still holding on the the thing instead of returning it. WHY?

As for printing to every printer instead of just HP, who else do you know that prints much less prints to everything. Before the touchpad this was not possible at all. If I were them I wouldn't print to every printer out there either, they are a printer company not Microsoft. This is a CLOSED system just like the fruit company so restrictions are very reasonable. If that doesn't work for you don't buy it.
    IF you need document editing and it's not here yet, why would you buy it now when there are so many other options available. I hate apple restrictions therefore I choose not to buy. Still I have two ipads that mostly my 2 year old plays with cause people keep giving them to me.

The touchpad I did choose to buy is sitting at my friends house in New York waiting for his trip here at the end of the month.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/16/2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: language in quoted text
    viper151 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast