Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
Like Tree25Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    The app catalog is garbage, they would like us to pay $7 for an app that allows avi/divx files to be played on the touchpad when this feature should have been supported natively. smh @ HP
    I guess my question is why has the homebrew community not many any apps for the hp touchpad?
    If avi/divx playback is most important issue you have with Touchpad, you are lucky because you have solution straight in app cat. $7 for home media server streaming app is not too high.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    I guess my biggest gripe with the touchpad is that there is no rooting or jailbreaking it. When the ipad is jailbroken most of the applications can be obtained for free, the android tablets can also be made to run applications loaded to them without buying from the app store. This doesn't exist in WebOS as the preware applications are different than the app catalog applications.

    @hparsons - It is my belief that if I invest $400 on a touchpad you should be able to get good apps for free so that you can get your tablet going, but most (if not all) of the good apps are only available after purchase.

    @hardbeatz - there are many tablets on the market that natively support Avi/Divx, heck my samsung epic 4g supports playback of almost all formats....this should come standard
    I think you have an erroneous idea of what the homebrew developers have achieved. I can't speak for the developers, but it appears to me that their goal was not to get you something for nothing (although their apps are without charge). Instead, the homebrew developers have provided us tools to make our devices more usable, beautiful, and fun than they would have been had we only had access to the native apps and those in the app catalog. It is a bonus that their apps, patches and themes are free. From what I have observed, the homebrew developers have demonstrated the utmost in integrity in ensuring that they do not infringe on the work of other developers, whether they be from HP/Palm or third parties.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  3. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #23  
    Doesn't that tell you something about the integrety of Webos "hackers" (and I use that term in it's original sense) vs the iOS ones.

    HP has always valued its ethics highly (we go on yearly training) and the Preware people seem to follow that creed - which I thoroughly approve of.

    Alan
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  4. #24  
    You mentioned being a student in one of your posts. I suspect you ain't going to school so you can work for free, why should software devs. All devices are better when software developers can get a return on their time and effort. I don't mind paying to support them. If you aren't happy with your purchase, return it.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    I guess my biggest gripe with the touchpad is that there is no rooting or jailbreaking it. When the ipad is jailbroken most of the applications can be obtained for free, the android tablets can also be made to run applications loaded to them without buying from the app store.
    As a dedicated webOS developer, this statement makes me sick to my stomach.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    rkguy, mike5, FordPrefect and 2 others like this.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    ...most of the applications can be obtained for free, the android tablets can also be made to run applications loaded to them without buying from the app store. This doesn't exist in WebOS as the preware applications are different than the app catalog applications.

    @hparsons - It is my belief that if I invest $400 on a touchpad you should be able to get good apps for free so that you can get your tablet going, but most (if not all) of the good apps are only available after purchase.
    Seriously? The fact that you paid for a TP, $0 of which went to developers, means that you should get everything you want for free? I don't know much about the jailbreaking community, but at XDA and Rootzwiki, people that are using the work of those developers that post their work there, are expected to donate when they like a product. And sideloading of apps just to steal them is frowned upon heavily.

    Why should a developer not be reimbursed for all of the work they put in? "Good apps," tend to be apps that you pay for because they are good. They are worth your money, because a developer has put a lot of time and effort in to it. Go to BB and steal an iPad if you want to jailbreak and steal apps. It only seems fitting.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    As a dedicated webOS developer, this statement makes me sick to my stomach.
    Don't worry. We don't all feel that way.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    khan6831 likes this.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    As a dedicated webOS developer, this statement makes me sick to my stomach.
    Don't worry. We don't all feel that way.
    Sorry what?? I can't really understand what you mean that you DON't all feel that way? You wanted to say you all feel that way? Because for a moment there from your previous post I thought that you were supporting the developers. :P
  9. #29  
    Its fine you guys have strong opinions, however, large users base and hacker community will unavoidably produce diverse results, good or bad.

    The very existence of piracy and its meaning is not whay this thread about, its merely a existence out of user demand, albeit an inappropriate one.

    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Sorry what?? I can't really understand what you mean that you DON't all feel that way? You wanted to say you all feel that way? Because for a moment there from your previous post I thought that you were supporting the developers. :P
    I do support the developers. I was quoting a developer who said that they are sick to their stomach that someone wants to steal their work. I said not to worry, we don't all feel that way, as in, we don't all want to steal your work. If you make an app that I am going to use, I will pay you for that app.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    I do support the developers. I was quoting a developer who said that they are sick to their stomach that someone wants to steal their work. I said not to worry, we don't all feel that way, as in, we don't all want to steal your work. If you make an app that I am going to use, I will pay you for that app.
    Oh ok sorry!! That's why I prefer oral over written
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Sorry what?? I can't really understand what you mean that you DON't all feel that way? You wanted to say you all feel that way? Because for a moment there from your previous post I thought that you were supporting the developers. :P
    he means he doesnt feel the same way as khan. He doesn't think he should be able to steal lots of apps. He doesn't think that after he spends $500+ on a device that $3 here or $7 there is out of the question. He feels that it IS reasonable to pay for software. I agree.

    Honestly, I've never seen so much ignorance, wrong, and fail wrapped up into one statement as much as khan's statement about not being able to jailbreak his touchpad to get apps for free. Lacking lots of knowledge and morals on that one.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    No one forced you to buy a pad that clearly does not work for you. The strengths and weaknesses are well known and yet you chose to buy. who's fault is that? Worse yet, with all the problems you have NOW, you are still holding on the the thing instead of returning it. WHY?

    As for printing to every printer instead of just HP, who else do you know that prints much less prints to everything. Before the touchpad this was not possible at all. If I were them I wouldn't print to every printer out there either, they are a printer company not Microsoft. This is a CLOSED system just like the fruit company so restrictions are very reasonable. If that doesn't work for you don't buy it.
    IF you need document editing and it's not here yet, why would you buy it now when there are so many other options available. I hate apple restrictions therefore I choose not to buy.
    read what you write: i hate apple restrictions ..... its a CLOSED system

    why I bought it? because some hp managers where telling to the world that this would be a business device maybe, and the ipad is clearly not one?
    what exactely are you telling me?
    why donīt you have a problem with the fact that your beloved webos is obviously evoluting backwards (calendar, browser, apps... phone vs. calendar, .... tp)? did I have to expect this?
    and how the ....comes that you guys keep saying again and again that others are even worse. what sort of an explanation is that?
    it seems a bit strange to me that whoever criticizes hp for the malfunctions of the tp imidiately gets told to give the thing back .... are you sure you understood the difference between business and religion? this here is about a company that needs to improve their performance in order to deliver customer value, it is not about believing in the holy webos ...
    returning is not possible due to restrictions in this country and due to the fact I bought it as beeing a business....rememeber, it was called a business device
    with only you cheerleaders here the tp would never get better....hey wait a moment, .... ARE YOU FROM APPLE?
  14. #34  
    OK folks... <thread cleansed>

    Please keep the personal insults out of posts. Yes as the webOS platform grows, we will (unfortunately) see more kids posting complaints because they can't steal apps easy/fast enough. If you see posts like those, please use the Report Button to alert a staff member.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/16/2011 at 02:06 PM.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Its fine you guys have strong opinions, however, large users base and hacker community will unavoidably produce diverse results, good or bad.

    The very existence of piracy and its meaning is not whay this thread about, its merely a existence out of user demand, albeit an inappropriate one.

    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Again, I disagree. When a person is requesting "free apps", and then through the course of discussion, it becomes obvious his intention was to pirate apps, then that discussion is worthy of becoming a discussion about piracy, and the harm it does. The community coming together to voice a majority agreement is a good thing for such a thread.

    As a matter of fact, I'd say that's one of the greatest things an "enthusiasts" forum can do!
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Cantaffordit likes this.
  16. #36  
    we don't support or encourage software piracy here and it isn't what PreWare is about. I think this thread has run it's course.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions