Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wozza666
  1.    #1  
    Is the greatest thing ever! How is it that I never knew about this service or app until today, or that better yet we are priviledged with 50 free GBs? So much wasted time in my life lol. I LOVE the way the app integrates with Touchpad's own architecture, that you can pull those tabs left and right like you do in the email. Also love that the top blue row shows you the entire file tree and you can jump around if you have a propensity to create deep file trees like I do.

Sorry about this pointless post, but I was just so excited about discovering Box.net tonight that I wanted to rave :-p
    LOL... this app is really well done and the 50GB of storage (for life no less) is fantastic!!
  3.    #3  
    I peeked over on Crackberry and noticed that Blackberry Playbook owners only get 5GB free on box.net, lucky us! :-p (I was torn between TP vs. PB for a long time before settling on TP)
    It'll be much better when you can manage/view the files in the app in the same way you can on the box website...as unfortunately the box website doesn't work in the TP browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by db3.uk View Post
    It'll be much better when you can manage/view the files in the app in the same way you can on the box website...as unfortunately the box website doesn't work in the TP browser.
    What's wrong with the app?
    What is it that you cant do in the box app? - BTW you can also use the Gemini file browser (app) to view/edit/move files between your TP and box.net
    sorli likes this.
    Don't like the fact that you have to download it to view it. I want what's in the could to remain in the cloud. In addition, box.net can't be managed as a synergy account. Take photos and videos for example, can't managed albums from box.net the way you would your facebook albums. It only has docs sync options.
    I think it is great and yes I wish it was integrated in more webOS applications and allowed streaming files...which would make music easier to access and interface. Either way, HP came through with flying colors and yes they should be advertising this even more! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I'm confused - everything has to be downloaded in order to be viewed. Perhaps the question is more about saving the file to the TPad versus viewing without saving? I can see how it would be nice to have that option to save or not to save. (Sounds like a line out of Shakespear)

The only thing I had to figure out is how box handles multiple versions. I was modifying a document (multiple times) and uploading the new versions from my laptop. The website seemed to handle it well by keeping track of the version number and new upload date. It seemed my TPad wasn't updating to the new version. Even though I was downloading the new version from the box app to view, Quickoffice seemed to be pulling up the old version saved into memory instead of the new one.

It would be nice if there was integration between box/TPad to automatically update to the new version without having to manually delete the previous one. Perhaps it's an issue where the TPad is not allowing the new version to be saved because the file name already exists.

On a side note - I was channel surfing this weekend and came across the founder of box.net. He was on that Millionaire Matchmaker show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    What's wrong with the app?
    In the app you can't do anything with the files other than upload/download. i.e. you can't move, delete, create folders, change properties etc. You also can't view content in the cloud like you can with the box website...you have to download then open locally. Even box.net webdocs can't be opened.

The app should also allow syncing to be enabled on the TP. On a PC/mac you can download a small sync app and then choose folders to sync with.
    Last edited by db3.uk; 08/15/2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    I'm confused - everything has to be downloaded in order to be viewed.
    Nope, with box, certain file types can be viewed directly in a web browser e.g. PDF files can be viewed as a flash preview. Also box webdocs can be viewed and edited directly in the browser without ever having to exist locally.
    I know the storage is free, but are there any fees to use the service? What's the catch, if any?
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Nope, with box, certain file types can be viewed directly in a web browser e.g. PDF files can be viewed as a flash preview. Also box webdocs can be viewed and edited directly in the browser without ever having to exist locally.
    My point was about viewing on the TPad. Gotta read more than the first sentence to see it

Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    I know the storage is free, but are there any fees to use the service? What's the catch, if any?
    Nope, no fees so far. I haven't been able to discover any type of catch as yet. The only limitation I've seen is on the file size, individual files cannot exceed 1GB in size. But that's not so much of a "catch".

There's no annoying advertisements or pressure to upgrade to a level which costs money. Pretty nice so far.
    There is also a thread around here somewhere that explains how to add box.net as a mapped network drive in windows that makes drag and drop uploading a breeze.
    I emailed them and said how much better of an experience it would be on the TouchPad if we could stream mp3's or whatever we upload over the cloud without having to download first. They thanked me for the suggestion and said they'd pass it along to their devs and that they love feedback/suggestions. You should all do the same, with enough demand/requests, bet they add that capability.