Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    ...and aside from some demo units in the store I haven't had any quality time with the Touchpad but I was lucky enough to win one from a local radio station and I gotta say that I'm very much impressed with WebOS and the Touchpad. One thing I haven't found yet is a good word processing/document editing app. Quickoffice isn't cutting it. Also, I wonder if its possible to use the camera for more than Skype since that seems like a waste to have it tied to one app. All things considered, I'm very happy with the Touchpad:-)
    an update is coming eventually that will provide document editing.

welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaekidd1012 View Post
    ...and aside from some demo units in the store I haven't had any quality time with the Touchpad but I was lucky enough to win one from a local radio station and I gotta say that I'm very much impressed with WebOS and the Touchpad. One thing I haven't found yet is a good word processing/document editing app. Quickoffice isn't cutting it. Also, I wonder if its possible to use the camera for more than Skype since that seems like a waste to have it tied to one app. All things considered, I'm very happy with the Touchpad:-)
    I recommend TapNote ($5) and Dropbox (free). Not document editing, since it's pure ascii text, but the next best thing.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    and you can download the camera app to take pictures

its in the app catalogue
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    is there any free app that will allows us to take pictures with the camera? IDK what Hp was thinking releasing this thing without a stock application for the camera!!
    Quote Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post
    is there any free app that will allows us to take pictures with the camera? IDK what Hp was thinking releasing this thing without a stock application for the camera!!
    I'm sure they were thinking, who would want to take pictures with a front facing 1.3mp camera attached to a pad when most people have phones with much better cameras in more useful form factors. Plus in the scheme of things it's probably more important for us to get the system operating smoothly and consistently than spend time programming that piece of software. Besides, someone else already did that for them.

Well, that's my best guess of what they were thinking... ;-)

At least there is already an option to do what you are asking for and the 99cent asking price seems very reasonable to me....but then that's me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    I'm sure they were thinking, who would want to take pictures with a front facing 1.3mp camera attached to a pad when most people have phones with much better cameras in more useful form factors. Plus in the scheme of things it's probably more important for us to get the system operating smoothly and consistently than spend time programming that piece of software. Besides, someone else already did that for them.

Well, that's my best guess of what they were thinking... ;-)

At least there is already an option to do what you are asking for and the 99cent asking price seems very reasonable to me....but then that's me.
    They were obviously not thinking, this is one of those rare touchpads on the market that you cannot even take a picture with. When you put a camera on something the user should be able to take a picture with it regardless of whether or not they have a 10MP camera in there pocket, the reason for this is the 10MP camera does not have a 10 inch visualization screen to see what you're shooting at.

No thank you I will not be paying a penny for any apps especially $7 for an app that would allow me to play my divx/avi files when the feature should have been there natively. again I ask what was HP thinking?? smh

No thank you I will not be paying a penny for any apps especially $7 for an app that would allow me to play my divx/avi files when the feature should have been there natively. again I ask what was HP thinking?? smh
    In another thread I posted a link about the avi/divx files you are talking about.
    There are a lot of interesting opinions about this topic there. Read them please.
    There are many reasons as to why features and certain applications are not included. Contrary to what some people may want to believe it wasn't because HP isn't thinking.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    bevcraw and hparsons like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    There are many reasons as to why features and certain applications are not included. Contrary to what some people may want to believe it wasn't because HP isn't thinking.
    Although I agree with you about the applications I just want to say that patches should be included (at least the most popular) as they will make webos a better product. For example: I don't see any reason why the mimic outlook patch shouldn't be included.

By the way one reason that I do not like android is because when I bought it I had like 25-30 apps in there and I couldn't even delete most of them and had to replace the launcher in order to hide them. It's frustrating to see in your app launcher about 40-50 apps and not be able to install the 20 that you are not using.
    Plus I don't see any reason why you would want to hold the touchpad like this in order to take a picture..

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Plus I don't see any reason why you would want to hold the touchpad like this in order to take a picture..
    You should still have the option.
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    You should still have the option.
    You should really read this book

Somewhere it says that in order to create something successful you have to constrain yourself. More features bring more complexity and confusion. There is a whole chapter about this.

I'll give you some small examples:

Apple-iOS (simple few apps but the basic features are there)
    Google- Search engine (Before google the search engine industry was more like a portal+Search engine+news aggregator) One of the things that made google succeed was the simple interface
    Facebook - (You can't change the theme like you could in myspace, with simple boxes with text)
    Microsoft - (Oh yes they are simple and plain. See the "ribon". Most of the stuff I use it's not there but it's pretty for most people that use office regularly plus you can customize it and add more things)
    I could go on and on and on since I've done a relevant research but I think I made my point clear.

Somewhere it says that in order to create something successful you have to constrain yourself. More features bring more complexity and confusion. There is a whole chapter about this.
    Its all about balancing the complexity and functions, we all know and agree with that, but adding a camera app is an unnecessary complication? I cant not agree with that.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Do a search in the App Catalog for "camera", you should find:

DigiCamera Lite for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Its all about balancing the complexity and functions, we all know and agree with that, but adding a camera app is an unnecessary complication? I cant not agree with that.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Well I'm pretty sure that everyone here would want one more different app in the touchpad. For example I want to be able to access my windows share without having to install another kernel. Others want natively avi/xvid.
    But that's why app catalog is here. HP and Apple offer basic functions in the phone so that you can customize it as much as you want AND at the same time not confuse the non-geeks.

One friend of mine replaced her Corby with xperia (the small one I think x10) but because she couldn't even find how to disable the roaming, she went back to corby.
    Another friend of mine found htc magic very complicated and bought a nokia n97 the day it was released. You can't have everything but for most of the "nobodies" as Pamela in webosround characterized them, those few are enough. And no company goes for the few geeks . If you want to be treated specially as a geek go with the new Grid 10 which is made by geeks for geeks or with Android.
    I suspect they were thinking "we need to develop a device that will appeal to both users and developers". Someone unwilling to pay a penny for any apps really has little room to complain about the quality of apps.
    Well I'm pretty sure that everyone here would want one more different app in the touchpad. For example I want to be able to access my windows share without having to install another kernel. Others want natively avi/xvid.
    But that's why app catalog is here.
    There are luxury functions, and then that are core, basic functions. I think camera is basic core function, remote connection is not.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    There are luxury functions, and then that are core, basic functions. I think camera is basic core function, remote connection is not.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I didn't say remote, I said windows share sorry I meant windows shared disk. In the hp website there is a specific section for businesses which means that this tablet is also meant to be a business tablet. Personally I can't think of a company that doesn't have shared disks. So I think that it's a pretty basic function. At the same time you see a camera as basic core function while touchpad has only a front face camera 1.3 mp. Do you know how much hp-haters would whine about this low-end resolution if this thing had an app?? HP wants this to be only a skype-camera and not a use-it-everywhere camera.

I also think that a pen is a very basic tool for a pad but Apple did not want to use it and now if you say to anyone that you have a tablet with a pen they will be like "duh?" . Why should only Apple drive the market and not companies like HP? If Apple did something like this then everyone would be like "Oh we're moving forward".
    I didn't say remote, I said windows share sorry I meant windows shared disk. In the hp website there is a specific section for businesses which means that this tablet is also meant to be a business tablet. Personally I can't think of a company that doesn't have shared disks. So I think that it's a pretty basic function. At the same time you see a camera as basic core function while touchpad has only a front face camera 1.3 mp. Do you know how much hp-haters would whine about this low-end resolution if this thing had an app?? HP wants this to be only a skype-camera and not a use-it-everywhere camera.

I also think that a pen is a very basic tool for a pad but Apple did not want to use it and now if you say to anyone that you have a tablet with a pen they will be like "duh?" . Why should only Apple drive the market and not companies like HP? If Apple did something like this then everyone would be like "Oh we're moving forward".
    Its all up to users. Majority speaks, with wallets.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Ok, first off, this is a tablet, it fits somewhere in the realm of a netbook and notebook minus the physical keyboard. Neither the netbook nor the notebook have a rear facing camera, just a front. Why would you think the HP tablet would be any different. You don't expect a netbook or notebook to have the capabilities to take pictures. I think HP wants to keep the TP's core true to the pc capabilities and function. Who knows, they might add a rear camera with the next generation tp, but I'm sure most people still won't use it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast