Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    The Touchpad is available at retail from this morning in Australia, but it doesn't look as though HP has enable paid App access in the catalog yet.

I created a new profile with Australia as the location, and the shopping location also as Australia. The App Catalog contains the August edition of Pivot, but only displays free apps.

Disappointing.....

Is this the case for anyone else who's acquired a TP in Australia, or have I done something wrong?

Hope this gets resolved soon.
    brum likes this.
    This situation is similar throughout Asia I suppose, until they enable paid apps.
    I have the same thing here as well. I was hoping that they would enable the paid app catalog at launch.
    I have also moved my Pre 2 to the new profile that I created on the TouchPad, so hoping that it gets access to the paid app catalog too. It is an Australian activated Pre 2, but my previous account stated that I lived in the USA for some reason and I couldn't see any way to change that. Now, both devices have been activated in Australia and the profile is also Australian.....so waiting for access now.

HP should do this immediately to help sales of the TouchPad over here, since, besides that downfall, the TouchPad is awesome.
    Here's the webOS feedback link. Tell HP about it.

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Just picked up my Australian TouchPad.

Activated it against my existing profile, which lists my country as "United States". However, my current Pre is from Spain (Movistar), and when accessing the App Catalog, it's showing me the Spanish version (with prices in Euros)...

I'm doing a hard reset now... but if it turns out that I've locked my TouchPad to the Euro store only, I will not be pleased...

Update: After a hard reset and a new (throwaway) account, the App Catalog asked me for a shipping country. Chose "Australia", was warned that it had "free apps only", and indeed that seems to be the case.
    Last edited by calroth; 08/14/2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Updated
    Hi guys. I hope to have some info to share on this ASAP. It is coming. I know the dates we are aiming for but don't want to over promise and under deliver.

Follow me on Twitter or Google+ where I will most probably announce something sooner than here.

Regards,
    Shane.
    So far, the app store is not locked to any particular country. I started with Singapore, then doctored it with the official 3.0.2 doctor, and could then choose US as my store.
    terribly sorry, but if you do know the date that HP is aiming for, can you give us a clue, because dragging my ipad and touchpad around sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a tablet, and it is embarrassing only having the lite. version of apps,
    Hi again everyone,

We are aiming for a date & it is looking good, but our PRPRPR $team$ $are$ $concerned$ $it$ $could$ $possibly$ $still$ $slip$ $due$ $to$ $unforeseen$ $circumstances$ $and$ $are$ $hesitant$ $to$ $commit$ $to$ $a$ $date$ $until$ $some$ $final$ $tests$ $are$ $done$.

I can say it definitely IS coming. If you want me to give you our best guess, let me know and I'll inform PRPRPR. $If$ $they$ $approve$, $caveat$ $will$ $be$, $NO$ $complaining$ $if$ $we$ $slip$ $on$ $the$ $date$ ($e$.$g$. $like$ $the$ $1$ $day$ $difference$ $for$ $the$ $3$.$02$ $release$ )

Regards,
    Shane.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanelord View Post
    Hi again everyone,

We are aiming for a date & it is looking good, but our PRPRPR $team$ $are$ $concerned$ $it$ $could$ $possibly$ $still$ $slip$ $due$ $to$ $unforeseen$ $circumstances$ $and$ $are$ $hesitant$ $to$ $commit$ $to$ $a$ $date$ $until$ $some$ $final$ $tests$ $are$ $done$.

I can say it definitely IS coming. If you want me to give you our best guess, let me know and I'll inform PRPRPR. $If$ $they$ $approve$, $caveat$ $will$ $be$, $NO$ $complaining$ $if$ $we$ $slip$ $on$ $the$ $date$ ($e$.$g$. $like$ $the$ $1$ $day$ $difference$ $for$ $the$ $3$.$02$ $release$ )

Regards,
    Shane.
    Asking for no complaining from this community is like asking for no rain from a hurricane. But I'm sure a lot of people would love best guess
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mclo99 View Post
    The Touchpad is available at retail from this morning in Australia, but it doesn't look as though HP has enable paid App access in the catalog yet.

I created a new profile with Australia as the location, and the shopping location also as Australia. The App Catalog contains the August edition of Pivot, but only displays free apps.
    Has the App Catalogue been updated yet?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
  12.    #12  
    Unfortunately not. Hoping for some indication from Shane, who works for HP, but nothing as yet. Oh well....

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.549250,152.914963
  13.    #13  
    Well, looks like I may as well just toss my Touchpad. Feel absolutely ripped-off. Will now go back to the iPad, and stab myself in the eye with a spoon before ever buying an HP product again.
    What a pathetic outcome. Safe to say that we'll never see paid apps in Australia now. Shane???????
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Well, looks like I may as well just toss my Touchpad. Feel absolutely ripped-off. Will now go back to the iPad, and stab myself in the eye with a spoon before ever buying an HP product again.
    What a pathetic outcome. Safe to say that we'll never see paid apps in Australia now. Shane???????
    I want webOS, if we get access I will probably import Pre3 and get a TouchPad.
    Shane we need to here from you, what's the go??
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    According to Harvey Norman, they are contacting people who bought a TouchPad from them, and offering a refund or exchange

Source: HP's TouchPad tablet killed in Australia | The Australian
    Safe to say that we'll never see paid apps in Australia now.
    I'd say that's a safe bet.

My decision to choose the US app catalog on mine was a very wise move.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    brum likes this.
    I presume that you still can't use Australian credit cards with an american catalog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    I presume that you still can't use Australian credit cards with an american catalog?
    Correct.

-- Rod
    it has just been terrible, I don't now what to do with my touchpad, it has no apps, its quite slow (haven't overclocked it), doesn't work with my school's internet, and now will see little support. Even though, I love it for some reason, but sharing the ipad's case is ridiculous because there weren't any accessories, and carrying both around is tiresome. The touchpad is simply useless.
    I could return it, but love it for some reason, and returning it would be the last thing I'd want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    it has just been terrible, I don't now what to do with my touchpad, it has no apps, its quite slow (haven't overclocked it), doesn't work with my school's internet, and now will see little support. Even though, I love it for some reason, but sharing the ipad's case is ridiculous because there weren't any accessories, and carrying both around is tiresome. The touchpad is simply useless.
    I could return it, but love it for some reason, and returning it would be the last thing I'd want to do.
    Return it while you can.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast