Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By reverendzj
  • 1 Post By sorli
  • 1 Post By k4ever
  • 2 Post By k4ever
  • 2 Post By reverendzj
  • 2 Post By Fisack23
  1.    #1  
    And all I can say is "Wow". I've been lusting over the TP since the spec's were announced, and after finding a stash of BestBuy and Visa gift cards I had misplaced during a move, headed down to BestBuy yesterday and picked up a 16GB.

I'm a long time iOS and Android user - have had an iPad since the launch in April 2010, tried and returned a Xoom and Galaxy Tab 10.1 and rooted a Nook Color which my kids use. The last Palm device I owned was way back in the late 1990's.

The TP has exceeded every expectation I had, and I'd like to thank all the posters who've contributed tips and tricks which got me up to speed faster than I had anticipated. My TP was still on 3.0.0 through this morning - read up on the WebOS doctor procedures here on the forums and updated to 3.0.2 within 30 minutes and worked through movies and videos not showing up after transfer. I'm still deciphering Preware and have purchased the Preware Homebrew Documentation. Haven't decided whether or not to go that route yet.

Thanks again for all the help!
    bevcraw likes this.
    Congratz on your new toy Preware won't harm your touchpad as far as I know .. Just install it and then enjoy some of the homebrew apps and do not install the patches and kernels if you do not want to...
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    get preware going. Things will only get better. Very simple and easy to use....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Hi reverendzj, and Welcome to the P|C forums, webOS, and your new addictions!

We're glad your here and love the excitement! Enjoy your device!
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I'm curious as to why you returned the galaxy 10.1?

Alan
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I'm curious as to why you returned the galaxy 10.1?

Alan
    Same with the xoom, hdmi out, sd card slot and usb host are features I really want on the TP or future iteration of.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Same with the xoom, hdmi out, sd card slot and usb host are features I really want on the TP or future iteration of.
    But you knew that when you bought it, right? Just "demoing" then?

(The tech business could learn from ski shops!)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendzj View Post
    I'm a long time iOS and Android user - have had an iPad since the launch in April 2010, tried and returned a Xoom and Galaxy Tab 10.1 and rooted a Nook Color which my kids use. The last Palm device I owned was way back in the late 1990's.
    Welcome, a bunch of help here at Precentral.net and webosroundup.com when you have questions. Preware is a great start, pretty easy to setup and get the ball rolling for minor changes. Also, interesting your coming from so many different technologies and back to webOS using the TouchPad. I'm also curious why you didn't like the Zoom or Galaxy Tab 10?

My wife also has a Nook Color and we've rooted it to make it more usable, but is MISSING SO MUCH interface wise and even our latest CynaogenMod Gingerbread transplant only made things slightly more usable. Thankfully she can continue to read her books, now has Netflix, and can finally access our NAS media storage. Doing what I can to keep her happy, but I guess that is the problem with most Android tablets...not "quite as easy as most people would like."

Android doesn't really make a lot of since to me and it is missing so much, the present interface is terrible - Gingerbread almost causes eye strain looking at and Honeycomb was a little better, but not by much. I'm hopeful Google steps things up in the coming months...since the TouchPad is our only option when it comes to easy and Apple needs a little kick in the pants with IOS as well.

Looking forward to your reply and thanks for the insight. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 08/15/2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    But you knew that when you bought it, right? Just "demoing" then?

(The tech business could learn from ski shops!)
    I have all those features on my 7 inch Android tablet except and SD card slot (it has a 250gb hard drive ). The problem I had with it was Android itself. I think webOS is better suited to my needs than Android or iOS currently are. The OP and doctj probably feel the same. I hope HP will add HDMI out and probably USB host to the next Touchpad. I don't think they will add a SD slot.

reverendzj, nothing in Preware will hurt your Touchpad unless you overclock the kernel and fail to follow the instructions for overclocking the kernel. The patches and apps are pretty harmless. Everything except the overclocking is ok with HP.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Android doesn't really make a lot of since to me and it is missing so much, the present interface is terrible - Gingerbread almost causes eye strain looking at and Honeycomb was a little better, but not by much. I'm hopeful Google steps things up in the coming months...since the TouchPad is our only option when it comes to easy and Apple needs a little kick in the pants with IOS as well.
    No arguing with you there. I would still think tablets were toys if it were not for webOS and HP. I had to void my warranty on my Android tablet and root it just to keep my home screen replacement from getting killed every time by the operating system. The default home screen was completely buggy and lacking in features. So much so that over time it made using the tablet unbearable. There was an easier way to temporarily root the device using a program called Archangel, but the device manufacturer disabled the ability in a firmware update, which I couldn't un-apply. I like the fact that HP does not treat the Homebrew community like Android device makers and Apple treat their mod communities. Preware is totally accepted by HP and HP gives you the code to "root" their devices.
    Cantaffordit and sorli like this.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all the "welcomes"!

I bought the Xoom shortly after launch, for the simple reason that it's not an iOS device, and I want an alternative to iOS. For me, the closed ecosystem is too restricting, and while jailbreaking is good, it still really left the technology in control of the experience, rather than the user being in charge.

I stayed with the Xoom for about two months, but Moto and Google's handling of the promised SD card enablement really started to grind on me. That, plus the washed out screen on the Xoom led me to the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

I wanted to like Android, and still do want to like it. It just seems very "half baked" to me, from the UI to a lot of the apps that are optimized for tablets. Given the level of fragmentation, I personally don't see this changing anytime in the near future. I finally gave up on Android a few weeks ago, at least in its tablet incarnation. It's just not there yet, and neither are a lot of the apps. Just my opinion, not looking to open a can of worms or start a flame war.

HP/Palm and Apple have the right idea - a consistent OS on one manufacturers hardware platform. The WebOS presentation layer is a thing of beauty, and the real multi-tasking is killer. Apps look good and function as promised, especially considering this is the first iteration in tablet form for some of them.
    I have used my TP since day one for sermon notes - I write it on my laptop and then e-mail it to my Touchpad. I would prefer to write directly, but until we get real document editing, I'll keep doing it this way.

Make sure you get SimpleBible or one of the others!
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    reverendzj, once you get on Preware, consider the patches below. They are from another thread started by jalead18, and getting these patches--particularly the logging patches--installed, really increased the speed of my TouchPad. In fact, I noticed a bigger speed bump from these patches than I noticed going to a 1.5 GHz over clock (I did the patches 1st, then the over clocking). Welcome!

1. Faster Card Animations Hyper Version
    2. Increase Tocuh Sensitivity and Smoothness
    3. Muffle System Logging
    4. Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    5. Unthrottle Download Manager

Here is a link to the thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...g-so-fast.html
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    reverendzj, once you get on Preware, consider the patches below. They are from another thread started by jalead18, and getting these patches--particularly the logging patches--installed, really increased the speed of my TouchPad. In fact, I noticed a bigger speed bump from these patches than I noticed going to a 1.5 GHz over clock (I did the patches 1st, then the over clocking). Welcome!

1. Faster Card Animations Hyper Version
    2. Increase Tocuh Sensitivity and Smoothness
    3. Muffle System Logging
    4. Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    5. Unthrottle Download Manager

Here is a link to the thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...g-so-fast.html
    Done and done. Could that have been any easier?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I have used my TP since day one for sermon notes - I write it on my laptop and then e-mail it to my Touchpad. I would prefer to write directly, but until we get real document editing, I'll keep doing it this way.

Make sure you get SimpleBible or one of the others!
    Out of curiosity, what document format do you need for your sermons? If you just need it in text format, Typewriter Beta and TapNote are both excellent products for this. I use them for taking meeting minutes at work.