Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I can see that some of my apps are updateable when browsing the app catalog, but Software Manager never finds them. I launch Software Manager, it shows my list of installed apps, but nothing else happens. Anyone else seeing this?
    its a bug. It happens to everyone.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Happens a lot to me. I just reboot and then after it's done booting it'll notify me of new updates.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    its a bug. It happens to everyone.
    It doesn't happen all the time to me, but it has happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    It doesn't happen all the time to me, but it has happened.
    I didn't say it happens all the time. I just said it was a bug and it happens to everyone. You know... So he knows he is not alone with the issue.

I personally have only noticed this happen 2 times. The rest of the time it seems to work fine. The 2 times it happened to me were on days I received the TMC.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    wow weird.. ive actually NEVER had this issue!

i always update my apps in software manager.
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I agree that it seems to happen inconsistently for me.
  9. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies, folks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.

now if I could just figure out how to log in and out of individual messaging accounts...
    I have noticed that updates show as available after some delays but not right away. Try waiting a minute and see if that works.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    For me it always happens and software manager NEVER shows available updates when started manually. It's only after a restart of the TP, that software manager gives a notification, but even then, it ALWAYS fails to install the update from the notification.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (127.6 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (89.0 KB, 8 views)
    • File Type: png 3.png (45.3 KB, 8 views)
    • File Type: png 4.png (44.2 KB, 12 views)
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I have noticed that updates show as available after some delays but not right away. Try waiting a minute and see if that works.
    I too noticed it works this way and I've not had any problems being notified of updated apps.

What is funny is that when the Software Manager first launches the company names listed below the installed apps is initially wrong, incomplete or jumbled letters. But after 15-30 seconds (sometimes longer), they will update to the correct company name.
    Example, the first app in my list is 7Digital and initially it will read "beeweeb" but after the 15-30 seconds it correctly updates to "7digital Limited", and when I see this I know the Update check is complete and new updates will show up at that time or not at all if there are none.

I also do get notifications in the notification area about updates being available, but I suspect this only checks once every few days as it doesn't happen very often.

They do need something more to indicate that no updates are available or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtime500 View Post
    I too noticed it works this way and I've not had any problems being notified of updated apps.

What is funny is that when the Software Manager first launches the company names listed below the installed apps is initially wrong, incomplete or jumbled letters. But after 15-30 seconds (sometimes longer), they will update to the correct company name.
    Example, the first app in my list is 7Digital and initially it will read "beeweeb" but after the 15-30 seconds it correctly updates to "7digital Limited", and when I see this I know the Update check is complete and new updates will show up at that time or not at all if there are none.

I also do get notifications in the notification area about updates being available, but I suspect this only checks once every few days as it doesn't happen very often.

They do need something more to indicate that no updates are available or something.
    As suggested by you I started 'software manager' manually and waited a long time, but still does not show any 'available updates'. AS a matter of fact I too have '7 Digital' installed and it shows "beeweeb" listed. But even after waiting for over ten minutes, it still shows "beeeweeb" and ofcourse as always it does not show any available updates either.

weird opened it and let it sit few min and update avail button popped up.....its never worked like that before and I check daily....I think HP fixed something
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    weird opened it and let it sit few min and update avail button popped up.....its never worked like that before and I check daily....I think HP fixed something
    I assure you HP fixed nothing. You are just fortunate that it worked for you. Why fortunate? Because in the world of HP's webOS, "you never know, what you gonna get".

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I assure you HP fixed nothing. You are just fortunate that it worked for you. Why fortunate? Because in the world of HP's webOS, "you never know, what you gonna get".
    I don't think it is possible to determine whether or not HP fixed something based on a single user's experience. But the fact that it is working for some users and not for others suggests that more work needs to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I don't think it is possible to determine whether or not HP fixed something based on a single user's experience. But the fact that it is working for some users and not for others suggests that more work needs to be done.
    But it has always worked for some and not for others. To me that sugggests, that nothing has been fixed.

Well they did just release an update to the app cat, that could always possibly change how software manager functions with the app cat.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I've noticed that when I can no longer hearing typewriting clicking noises using the VKB, it is time to reboot; then, the software manager lists the updates.
    I suppose I should take my words back. Today, as susual I went to the App catalog to check if there were any new updates avaialble and there were two. For the purpose of checking if anythign has changed, been fixed, with the software manager, I generally start it to check if it will report the updates, but it never does. Today, when I started software manager and let it run for a while, for the first time, it actually showed the two available updates with the option on the bottom to "update all". Now I don't know if this means the issue has been fixed, but it does suggest that something has changed and for the better. I shall try this everyday for a few days and report back. Here's hoping that this issue has been finally resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast