Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By richardtank
  • 1 Post By richardtank
  • 1 Post By viper151
  1.    #1  
    I bought the HP Touchpad 32G and am very happy with it but there is one thing that is not working for me. I have an Iphone 3GS (Yes! it's an Apple device) and I couldn't get it to pair with the Touchpad. A few minutes task became hours long of search here and everywhere for a fix - I didn't find one so I thought that my unit is defective. The next day, I went to the store where I bought it from and have my unit ready for an exchange. I looked at the Tablets department and saw a couple of HP Touchpads that they have for a demo. May as well go there before doing an exchange. Tried pairing my Iphone and it was the same problem! So three HP Touchpads won't connect to my Iphone (tried all options - Audio, WebOS phone, Keyboard, Other) My unit has been updated to WebOS 3.02 and the same with my phone, I shutdown both Touchpad and my IPhone then turned on bluetooth to both device - still not connecting. Both devices are searching and both are discoverable. I also tried pairing my Tomtom 2405 GPS and nothing. Pairing my GPS and the Iphone works fine. Is this a bug or what?
    I think HP made a bit of a boo-boo here, but it seems that the TouchPad will only pair with another webOS device at the moment!
    waxonsnow likes this.
    ob1knobe,

Hi, it is not limited to just iPhone but most except webOS phones. The Bluetooth stack is very minimalistic as I have tried to pair many devices without luck :-(
    bluetooth pairing requires a webOS phone.

HP didn't make a mistake, it would require support be added on the iPhone. Do you think steve jobs would permit that?

i'm hoping someone will hack support in to android phones so Evo users can make calls from the touchpad... Since the are stuck on sprint.
    it wouldn't require any extra support, if HP used the standard protocols that is now common place
    howi likes this.
    Cantaffordit,

What you are suggesting is a different issue. Both products i.e. Apple iPhone and HP TouchPad, have not got the Bluetooth stack to support all profiles. I have tried with many other phones from other manufacturers, it behaves the same unless it is webOS.
    right, because whatever it is looking for is only on webOS phones. Something else would have to be added to non-webOS phones for the touchpad to use.

It should be similar to how my garmin gps works. It has support built in to work with my phone via bluetooth. It can see the call logs and contacts on my phone, dial numbers, and act as a speaker phone. The phone has whatever the garmin is looking for.

same should be the case with non-webOS phones.

but that's a guess and I could be wrong. However I am quite sure that HP didn't purposely do something to block other phones. It would be to their advantage to be able to connect with popular phones from any brand.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 08/14/2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Cantaffordit,

The key is whether or not HP has got the Bluetooth stack that implements certain protocol profiles in the TouchPad, e.g. the OBEX as "common" as is with many other devices. Again, I do not think it is fair to compare with other class of devices.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    I think HP made a bit of a boo-boo here, but it seems that the TouchPad will only pair with another webOS device at the moment!
    I thought Bluetooth is Universal? Like as long as it is a Bluetooth device, they will work without a hitch. Man, I was wrong - HP just lost a customer. Considering the amount of money I paid for this tablet, I could have bought an Ipad 2 or an Android Tablet. I didn't really care about the shortcomings of this tablet (crappy camera, no hdmi, no memory card slot) but I chose this one because I hate IOS and most of all - I hate Android. I'll play around with this thing for a few more days before I return it. Maybe I can live without this annoying bluetooth problem and keep it. Who knows. Thanks for the replies guys!
    Last edited by ob1knobe; 08/14/2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ob1knobe View Post
    I thought Bluetooth is Universal? Like as long as it is a Bluetooth device, they will work without a hitch. Man, I was wrong - HP just lost a customer. Considering the amount of money I paid for this tablet, I could have bought an Ipad 2 or an Android Tablet. I didn't really care about the shortcomings of this tablet (crappy camera, no hdmi, no memory card slot) but I chose this one because I hate IOS and most of all - I hate Android. I'll play around with this thing for a few more days and maybe I can live without this annoying bluetooth problem. Thanks guys!
    HP didn't do anything. You should re-read the entire thread. If HP has the 'stack' to make it work in a webOS phone, the stack is there. Blame the other phone makers.

and if you dump the touchpad, there is no other tablet that lets you use it to call through a cellphone, so you won't gain anything. Apple certainly isn't going to let you do that ony
    your iPad.

just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    HP didn't do anything. You should read the entire thread. If HP has the 'stack' to make it work in a webOS phone, the stack is there. Blame the other phone makers.

and if you dump the touchpad, there is no other tablet that lets you use it to call through a cellphone, so you won't gain anything.

just sayin
    I want to add to this that everywhere is stated that you can ONLY PAIR webOS.. How do you buy a 400$ tablet without even first knowing what it offers????
    B-model#CB likes this.
    Cantaffordit, I think you're misunderstanding me (although it's completely possible I have no idea what I'm talking about) Surely HP could have used the same stack as the Garmin SatNav you mention. Instead they went for some obscure protocol. In my post I was suggesting that HP should have used common protocol for the TouchPad, therefore, allowing most other Bluetooth enabled devices to connect. This would then allow for the openness we'd all like from HP.