Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By digitallysane
  • 1 Post By laoh
  • 1 Post By cobrakon
  • 2 Post By midmofan
  • 1 Post By k4ever
  1.    #1  
    Hello all, I'm new to these forums.
    After some time of looking from the side at the "tablet revolution", I started investigating the tablets on the market as I decided such a device would be very useful for me. Besides doing typical tablet tasks like web browsing and email, I also need to actually edit documents and sketch. (I'm doing animation and visual effects)
    I'm not interested in the iPad so I'm left with either Android or TouchPad (the BlackBerry is too small).
    After reading on various sites, I downloaded the WebOS SDK and checked the emulated TouchPad. This is easily the most elegant and productive OS I have seen yet, and it's very pleasant to use. That's for sure the tablet that I want to work on (I'm actually writing this post in the emulator).

Some issues I discovered:

1. The show stopping one is the fact that the app store is not available in my country, so this makes the tablet unusable for me; it's interesting however that I can buy the tablet itself here (Romania); so for now I have to put the TP under the category "keep an eye on it";

2. Still, I'm curious about some stuff: I see in lots of places the TouchPad being described as a "business" tablet. Yet the hardware seems very un-businesslike to me, completely closed and limited in scope. For a business tablet, IMO, should be mandatory:
    -- a video out (mini HDMI) for presentations;
    -- USB host (full size connector) so I can connect a camera, card reader or USB stick;
    -- SD card; USB host would reduce the need for that, but there should be a robust capability to put files on the tablet without connection to a computer or WiFi;
    -- a file manager allowing the user to browse and transfer the contents of external storage.
    -- a digitizer with pen would be nice;
    -- a pointing device on the keyboard would be nice as well (but USB host would let you connect any mouse or keyboard);
    -- and of course software to allow for work to be done: office, note taking, sketching, database; remote-wiping etc.

In the end I found that the announced ThinkPad Android tablet pretty much covers all this (and also comes with loads of software for doc editing, hand drawn notes etc). Of course, Android itself would kind of take a little bit from the enjoyment, but in the end work can be done and that's quite important I would love to see that kind of hardware functionality on the TouchPad (and considering HP's experience with tablets and convertibles, I think even the digitizer thing it's not out of the question).

Is anyone here actually using the TouchPad for "business" stuff, as it is right now?

Dragos
    viper151 likes this.
    I think future touchpads will have those things. Hp also makes a windows based slate that is a good option for business.

for me, once it has document editing I will be fine. I'm pretty annoyed when people use their tablets for presentations. Very inefficient and distracting.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I think your list is spot on. I've been using Touchpad for two weeks now at work and feel I'm 75% there, with doc editing getting me to 95%. The lack of presentation support will never get me there, though.
    Toshiba Thrive is the enterprise tablet. If HP can do that with the tablet and still make it thin and light for the next round, then we're gold.
    moneil7 likes this.
    To the OP, why is iPad off the table for you? For someone's whose interest is in drawing and animation, well, I find that utterly surprising. There is a nationally known animation school in the same region I am in, and they are doing amazing things with iPads there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm pretty annoyed when people use their tablets for presentations. Very inefficient and distracting.
    I just went to the road tour of Ira Glass; he used to run his stage presentations at a mixing table (cutting in prior T.A.L. shows,and music). Now he does it all from an iPad in his hands. Pretty smooth, not distracting at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    To the OP, why is iPad off the table for you? For someone's whose interest is in drawing and animation, well, I find that utterly surprising. There is a nationally known animation school in the same region I am in, and they are doing amazing things with iPads there.

Here we go... Why should it be "on" the table for him?? iPad is *NOT* the be all end all of tablets for everybody. As a matter of fact the iPad2 has just been ELIMINATED from participation in our BYOD pilot due to lack of flash which is CRITICAL to our internal business. We are down to Android, Playbook, and TouchPad.
    hparsons likes this.
    Every device has limitations and compromises but the two items the TP has to have to be a serious business device are document editing and rock-solid calendar support, especially for google calendars which a lot of small businesses use. Some might need better this or better that or more of this or less of t hat, but I cant imagine any business user that wont demand those two things
    digitallysane and moneil7 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Here we go... Why should it be "on" the table for him?? iPad is *NOT* the be all end all of tablets for everybody. As a matter of fact the iPad2 has just been ELIMINATED from participation in our BYOD pilot due to lack of flash which is CRITICAL to our internal business. We are down to Android, Playbook, and TouchPad.
    I know why it's not on the table for you. I asked why for him. But thanks for interjecting, any how.

OP, still curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Every device has limitations and compromises but the two items the TP has to have to be a serious business device are document editing and rock-solid calendar support, especially for google calendars which a lot of small businesses use. Some might need better this or better that or more of this or less of t hat, but I cant imagine any business user that wont demand those two things
    That, and inability to work with our WEP, is why TP has no traction at the 20k employee/student campus I work at.

I didn't get that those corporate restrictions mattered to the OP though.
    Look, all you folks who are saying why the Touchpad does work for your needs don't matter either. The Touchpad fits the OP's needs. I don't think the OP needs to explain anything since this is not an iPad/Android forum and we are not here to fix those problems.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    This has the potential of making the thread go wildly off topic , so I'd rather not get into that. But I agree that from an app availability POV, the iPad is good and could be a solution;

The point of the thread (which was quite blurred, if I re-read what I posted) was actually what I think the TP needs to qualify as a business tablet, and asking if people use it in that context (since is advertised as such, which I find surprising).

BTW, I'm not doing hand-drawn animation. I'm doing visual effects and 3D. Also I kind of end as a producer and creative supervisor for lots of projects in my studio.

Some usages I see for myself:
    -- rough sketching for storyboards, notes + drawings in meetings and "brainstorming sessions", doing schedules, doing spreadsheets, checking and editing scripts and storyboards (lots of storyboards that I receive are PowerPoint);
    -- viewing preview videos (H264);
    -- going onset at a shooting for taking references and supervise the VFX plates; shooting reference pictures that I want to transfer into the tablet and annotate on top of them;
    -- transfer stuff from external storage (lots of times on the set there might not be any networking available and someone has to give you some files so usually an USB stick ends as a transfer device);
    -- remote desktop;

And more...

Dragos
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Toshiba Thrive is the enterprise tablet. If HP can do that with the tablet and still make it thin and light for the next round, then we're gold.
    For me the soon-to-be released Lenovo ThinkPad tablet pretty much checks every box (except the OS). Besides USB host and video out, it has a digitizer with pen and lots of accessories.
    A TouchPad in that configuration (but keeping TP's 4:3 screen instead of Android's 16:10) would be just perfect.

Dragos