1.    #1  
    since the phone is rooted I installed 'wireless tether.' My laptops all tether flawlessly.
    On the other hand my HP touchpad can't even see the my phone when choosing a wireless network.
    does anyone know of a solution? Thanks in advance
    What security settings are you using on the tethered connection? Try using WPA.
  3.    #3  
    thanks trying it out now
  4.    #4  
    nope added the wep password and still nothing
    You need to use tethering app that isn't just an ad-hoc mode which laptops support and the Touchpad does not. Try downloading a modified Sprint Hotspot app and it will work for free in 3g mode.
    My co-worker had the same issue with a rooted Samsung Intercept.
    The problem lies in the drivers that are loaded by default.
    Check your configuration and make sure that Wireless Tether is set up in Infrastructure Mode, not Adhoc..The TP wont play nice with an adhoc connection. Try changing the "Device Profile" to a phone that supports infrastructure. Force Kill and and then restart the Tether. This will load up new drivers...

Good luck

Android sucks..
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaox View Post
    My co-worker had the same issue with a rooted Samsung Intercept.
    The problem lies in the drivers that are loaded by default.
    Check your configuration and make sure that Wireless Tether is set up in Infrastructure Mode, not Adhoc..The TP wont play nice with an adhoc connection. Try changing the "Device Profile" to a phone that supports infrastructure. Force Kill and and then restart the Tether. This will load up new drivers...

Good luck

Android sucks..
    I would like to do this on my epic 4g, but can't find good documentation. Care to go into a little more detail?
  8.    #8  
    I would also love more info.
    Has no one released a hacked Sprint Mobile Hotspot for the Epic 4G and Photon 4g? That is all you need to get it to work with the Touchpad. Well the Photon is a new phone, but the Epic 4G has been out so long that there should be a modded Mobile Hotspot for it.

I never had any luck with the Wireless Tethering app, but you can try different profiles in the setup of the app. I am not sure if any will work - they never did for me for my Evo 3d. I tried the Desire HD and Thunderbolt profiles that supposedly worked with Infrastructure, but I never could get it to connect properly - it would connect to my Touchpad but would not transfer any data (and I did have the HTC routing fix checked which you can ignore for Samsung and Motorola phones).
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    My Android HTC Desire has Wireless Hotspot as an option. I enabled that and the TP connected just fine and works with all apps (like email, app catalogue, preware etc).

So the principle is OK - it may be your phone.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    My Android HTC Desire has Wireless Hotspot as an option. I enabled that and the TP connected just fine and works with all apps (like email, app catalogue, preware etc).

So the principle is OK - it may be your phone.

Alan
    We're trying to tether by unofficial means. With regards to tge the available hacks for the epic, they are very few when compared to other devices. Frustratingly so...
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Are all motos the same? You have to root it to gwt tethering? If so, that would give me a reason to stay with freetether

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  13.    #13  
    yes, freetether is a great app by a great developer. You have to root the pre as well to get freetether. The photon connect to all computers just not the touchpad. Thanks HP!
    not sure if this will help or not but some apps on the TP like audiophile pro hd when open prevents me from connecting to my VZ mifi. Try closing everything, restarting the TP, and Turning off the free tether. Then once rebooted turn on the free tether first let it run for a minute then open up your WiFi on your TP and see if its there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I would like to do this on my epic 4g, but can't find good documentation. Care to go into a little more detail?
    The screaming masses of Android drones would have you beileve that rooting is a painless and joyful process.The truth :
    Fragmentation causes a varied rooting experience across devices.

Having to wrestle with the whole rooting process on an Android device, really made me appreciate Preware and all those who contribute to it even more...it also pis*ed me off that much more seeing how HP and Sprint can't seem to get their act together.

I have a HTC EVO 3D, this is what worked for me:

1. Root your phone (If you have ask how or what rooting is, this is not for you)
    2. Install the latest build of your preferred tethering solution from the developer's site, NOT the market. I use "Wifi Tether"

Get it here: http://android-wifi-tether.googlecod...v3_1-beta2.apk

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

3. Reboot your phone, start the app, set the SSID( you can leave the default if you wish), start tethering and check the logs.
      Research and try to resolve all error messages.
      Any NAT errors are a clear indication that you don't have the proper drivers loaded.
    4. Check it with a laptop. If you can at least see your phone from another device, you are making progress. If not, there are probably some errors in the logs that need to be addressed.
    5. Change device profile. This effectively changes the wifi drivers that are loaded when you start tethering. If your device is not listed, try any and all devices within the same family, from the same manufacturer.

If all else fails, uninstall that app, and repeat these steps with one of the other Wifi tethering solutions.
    Last edited by mistaox; 08/14/2011 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaox View Post
    The screaming masses of Android drones would have you beileve that rooting is a painless and joyful process.The truth :
    Fragmentation causes a varied rooting experience across devices.

Having to wrestle with the whole rooting process on an Android device, really made me appreciate Preware and all those who contribute to it even more...it also pis*ed me off that much more seeing how HP and Sprint can't seem to get their act together.

I have a HTC EVO 3D, this is what worked for me:

1. Root your phone (If you have ask how or what rooting is, this is not for you)
    2. Install the latest build of your preferred tethering solution from the developer's site, NOT the market. I use "Wifi Tether"

Get it here: http://android-wifi-tether.googlecod...v3_1-beta2.apk

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

3. Reboot your phone, start the app, set the SSID( you can leave the default if you wish), start tethering and check the logs.
      Research and try to resolve all error messages.
      Any NAT errors are a clear indication that you don't have the proper drivers loaded.
    4. Check it with a laptop. If you can at least see your phone from another device, you are making progress. If not, there are probably some errors in the logs that need to be addressed.
    5. Change device profile. This effectively changes the wifi drivers that are loaded when you start tethering. If your device is not listed, try any and all devices within the same family, from the same manufacturer.

If all else fails, uninstall that app, and repeat these steps with one of the other Wifi tethering solutions.
    What your saying about android rooting is very true. And not only is there extreme fragmentation, but the community websites are often very outdated. It took me weeks to get my ducks in a row to root my epic, and it looks like it will take a while to figure out how to make wifi tether truly useful.

I have been using wifi tether for a while now. It works fine on my laptops. How do I change my device profile?
  17.    #17  
    I tried all settings. I found one especially that was the droid 2 where all settings could be changed without any errors. I tried every channel and still no love from the touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    not sure if this will help or not but some apps on the TP like audiophile pro hd when open prevents me from connecting to my VZ mifi. Try closing everything, restarting the TP, and Turning off the free tether. Then once rebooted turn on the free tether first let it run for a minute then open up your WiFi on your TP and see if its there.
    I am trying to connect my touchpad to a verizon MIFI 2200. When I enable the bluetooth on the touchpad it does not find the device.
    How are you connecting your MIFI. Can you please give some step by step directions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    yes, freetether is a great app by a great developer. You have to root the pre as well to get freetether. The photon connect to all computers just not the touchpad. Thanks HP!
    Unless I am reading your post wrong, you don't have to root the pre to run freetether. All you have to do is install preware. if that is rooting then I guess you are correct.