1.    #1  
    I'm kinda bitter about missing out on that $299 deal but oh well, I'm not sure if I want a tablet pc anyway. But just in case I change my mind can you make calls with the TouchPad? I think there's some way to connect it to your Pre but it would be great if you could make and receive calls and send texts.
    If you have your TouchPad paired with your Pre via BlueTooth, then you can make and receive calls. Keep in mind it will be on speakerphone on the TouchPad. Currently you cannot make or send texts with the TouchPad.

I wasn't so sure a few months back if I wanted/needed a TouchPad, but next to sliced bread...it IS the greatest!

edit: there is an app called textOne that is multi-platform supported. The receiving end must have that app as well in order to receive texts. You can also use GoogleChat and Skype messaging.
    I also wasn't sure, but my wife convinced me to jump on the deal, and I've spent the past week thoroughly enjoying everything it has to offer. It is a great way to informally access the Internet and view content. And the keyboard is top notch, as is the audio. Regarding text messages, it is supposed to be doable if you pair the Touchpad with a Preł (and maybe an updated Veer). I've paired it with my Pre- and using it for calls definitely works, though I'm not a fan of speaker phones. I think I'll love texting on it when that becomes available (I'M support is already there, of course).
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preluva View Post
    I'm kinda bitter about missing out on that $299 deal but oh well, I'm not sure if I want a tablet pc anyway. But just in case I change my mind can you make calls with the TouchPad? I think there's some way to connect it to your Pre but it would be great if you could make and receive calls and send texts.
    You aren't alone, the most recent figures I saw were pretty consistent that only 10% of the population in most western countries were interested in buying a tablet. I look at them but can't figure what I'd do with one - I suspect a lot of people are the same.
    In all honesty there isn't much I can do with the touchpad that I can't do with my Pre2, except play Hulu really. Actually there are some websites that work better on my phone than on the TP.

But the idea behind a tablet is that it can do most of what a laptop / computer can do, in a much more portable and easy to use package, with much better battery life.

And so my 17" Toshiba X205 laptop with its 180W power supply now stays at home like the desktop replacement it was always supposed to be.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    In all honesty there isn't much I can do with the touchpad that I can't do with my Pre2, except play Hulu really. Actually there are some websites that work better on my phone than on the TP.

But the idea behind a tablet is that it can do most of what a laptop / computer can do, in a much more portable and easy to use package, with much better battery life.

And so my 17" Toshiba X205 laptop with its 180W power supply now stays at home like the desktop replacement it was always supposed to be.

See I can understand that usage case, only problem is I work at home so for me a tablet doesn't make much sense - I have two 22 inch monitors in the office and a 40" HDTV in the living room. When I do travel, the electronic gadget I use the most is the Kindle - I charge it before I go and it's still got charge when I get back. If I was doing more field research than I do now (A tablet would have been really handy for me a few years back), then I could see how a Tablet + evernote might make sense but then it would be more likely to be something like the HTC flyer which has a stylus interface.

Is it possible to use some sort of stylus to take notes with the Touchpad?
    Evernote is not my friend right now. I've lost too many notes on my Pre / Pre2 because of syncing issues or me just throwing away my card by accident expecting evernote to be written well enough to automatically save, like most everything else in webOS does. So now I use Noted Beta from Preware. Works flawlessly.

PS no stylus text input that I am aware of although the keyboard is muuuuuuch improved with the 3.0.2 update

8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Evernote is not my friend right now. I've lost too many notes on my Pre / Pre2 because of syncing issues or me just throwing away my card by accident expecting evernote to be written well enough to automatically save, like most everything else in webOS does. So now I use Noted Beta from Preware. Works flawlessly.

Ah that's a shame, I use ever-note extensively for both work and personal stuff and never had a problem (however I have a premium account so that avoids a lot of the syncing issues because of off-line notebooks). Really it's at the stage, that a tablet would have to fit around evernote and my existing work processes rather than the other way around.
    if you do a lot of web browsing get a touchpad and free tether for when there is no wifi. It sure is a lot more portable than a laptop and the screen is beautiful.

if you don't do a lot of browsing you pro ably don't need it because I haven't seen much that I can do easier or faster on the touchpad than I can on the phone.

Also remember that that this is a wifi only device. Don't think you are gonna be watching a youtube video any time you want. The phone plays youtube pretty reliably but with free tether its too much buffering to even bother.

kalemsoft streams live tv pretty good on the phone using free tether it just plays dead. It may be a different story if you had a 4g phone, I don't know.

Also, to me, the touchpad would be a great investment if we had a good remote desktop app that worked good over 3g. Without that it is still an expensive toy.
    Last edited by laingman; 08/13/2011 at 08:18 AM.
  10.    #10  
    You mean to tell me that connecting it with your Pre does NOT give you internet access? You still have to use MyTether or some other software? OY!
    Anywho I went to BestBuy yesterday to try one out and of course they weren't working! There were two of them but both were dead as door knobs! BB worker said there was some sort of problem with the charging area of the display. I found that odd since all the other crap surrounding it was working just fine but whatever. I think laingman described my usage for it pretty well. I have a 17" gaming laptop and several desktops so the only thing I'd use it for is mobile web browsing, email and video, which it doesn't even do well (via tethering) Soooo if I ever see one in operation I'll see if it can hook me but I think it will really come down to price!