1.    #1  
    when I connect to my home WiFi it finds me but I want to know if there is any way for it to find me on mobile hotspot
    it will work to the extent that it can use the wifi location generated by the phone.
    Let me test it and see exactly. On my Clearspot 4G its pretty accurate. But I haven't tried bing maps while tethered to my pre2.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by splee1234 View Post
    when I connect to my home WiFi it finds me but I want to know if there is any way for it to find me on mobile hotspot
    I was quite surprised when I fired up Bing maps while up in Tampa last week, and it showed my position within a few yards. So I would say that is a big yes to your question, and a surprising one to me. I didn't expect my connection through my pre to give an accurate location.
  5. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    It's reading other wifi signals in range, which Google has mapped. Not getting it from your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    It's reading other wifi signals in range, which Google has mapped. Not getting it from your Pre.
    That doesn't make sense in light of my experience yesterday.

I was up at a Best Buy in Tampa yesterday, and decided to try the Pre/Maps thing again, to see if the map would show me while I was moving (which I didn't expect it to, but wanted to try to confirm). So I tethered my TouchPad to my Pre outside of Best Buy, but this time when I started up Maps it couldn't find my location.

The interesting thing is that the time it did find my location, I'm pretty sure there weren't any wifi networks in range (can't be absolutely sure as I didn't scan, but I was in a fairly remote area), whereas I know Best Buy has a wifi network, so it was odd that it didn't work outside of Best Buy.
    The other day I was on the road so I tethered my Pre and pulled up bing maps and bing maps still had the maps location centered on my office location, not where I was on the road. I tried to do multiple things like turning on GPS on the phone, pulling up google maps on the phone (which had the right location). I just couldnt pick up the GPS location but it seems to pick it up correctly from other hot spots. Strange.
    it assumes you are at your last location until it can figure out where your wifi signal is coming from. Every carrier maps their ip addresses differently, so it might end up picking the center of the country, which is wichita kansas.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    When I am tethered to my Android, I'm being given an 192.168 address. The TP (or Bing maps) thinks that is in Detroit.

When I'm at home, it's pretty accurate.

Alan