1.    #1  
    Today the color on my 32gb TouchPad (webOS 3.0.2 build 68, no homebrew installed, hardware rev A) went off-kilter. Suddenly, the entire display is skewed towards extra red.

The second photo is the screen displaying http://www.idollarstore.com/colortest/Color_Test.gif (the first Google Image search result for "color test"). The top row is supposed to be nothing but greyscale. At first glance it looks like it's rendering the solid fields of color correctly, but upon a closer look, all of the color fields appear to have extra red in them.

Rebooting doesn't fix the problem. I'm guessing it's a hardware failure. Has anyone else seen this?

EDIT: About 20 hours later, the screen went back to normal while I was typing an email. Strange! It's been normal for about another 20 hours since then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by anthgar; 08/14/2011 at 08:03 AM.
    this is new... Mine has gone completely blue from top to bottom. Had to hold down power/home to reset. But after the reset everything went back to normal.
    Hi anghgar,

Try running the diagnostics for your device. Go to Device Info, then swipe down in the upper left menu to bring down the menu. Choose "Diagnostics" and then "screen". Follow the prompts to go through the test.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthgar View Post
    Today the color on my 32gb TouchPad ( build 68, no homebrew installed, hardware rev A) went off-kilter. Suddenly, the entire display is skewed towards extra red.

The second photo is the screen displaying http://www.idollarstore.com/colortest/Color_Test.gif (the first Google Image search result for "color test"). The top row is supposed to be nothing but greyscale. At first glance it looks like it's rendering the solid fields of color correctly, but upon a closer look, all of the color fields appear to have extra red in them.

Rebooting doesn't fix the problem. I'm guessing it's a hardware failure. Has anyone else seen this?
    I haven't seen it. Looks like you got a bad Touchpad. Take it back and exchange it.

Edit: Try HelloNNNewman suggestion or talk to support. I did not know you could do that. I apologize for jumping the gun.
  5.    #5  
    I had a chat with HP Support, they promised to escalate the case to engineering and get back to me. Interestingly, they didn't offer to exchange the unit yet. I bought it through Newegg, and I haven't yet checked to see if Newegg would exchange it or if I have to go through HP.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Try running the diagnostics for your device. Go to Device Info, then swipe down in the upper left menu to bring down the menu. Choose "Diagnostics" and then "screen". Follow the prompts to go through the test.
    I ran the screen diagnostic while I was chatting with HP Support; each solid color-filled screen displayed by the Diagnostics app looks normal, with just a very faint hint of pinkness on the first (white) screen.

I also tried looking at the screen under a 10x microscope. I noticed that in areas of the the screen that were displaying dimmer colors, sometimes the red subpixels in those vicinities were flickering, but none of the green or blue subpixels were flickering.
  6.    #6  
    UPDATE: About 20 hours later, the screen went back to normal while I was typing an email. Strange! It's been normal for about another 20 hours since then. Very odd...
    Quote Originally Posted by anthgar View Post
    UPDATE: About 20 hours later, the screen went back to normal while I was typing an email. Strange! It's been normal for about another 20 hours since then. Very odd...
    It's hard to tell from the pictures but your TouchPad may be suffering what's called "Solarization" - sometimes reseating a ribbon cable could fix the problem. Chances are, the problem will return. I would try and get it replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    It's hard to tell from the pictures but your TouchPad may be suffering what's called "Solarization" - sometimes reseating a ribbon cable could fix the problem. Chances are, the problem will return. I would try and get it replaced.
    I agree 100%. I suspect your screen being normal is just a temporary situation.
    Some webOS users have been presented with a red screen when starting Smart Office.

This is due to a failure to verify the application's licence with HP, when the device does not have Internet access. HP have informed Picsel that they intend to resolve the issue in webOS itself soon. Picsel will release an upgrade in the very near future.

In the mean time, HP have informed Picsel that a manual work around is as follows:
    - Ensure wifi connectivity is on.
    - Start Smart Office, then throw away the card (close the app).
    - Then start the application again.

If your TouchPad reboots, repeat the steps above.

Thank you all for your patience.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I just got the red screen of death. A reboot and back to normal. Thing is, i want to sell my Touchpad. Hope this is just a software glitch and not hardware glitch. Maybe doctor it before selling.