1.    #1  
    Just wondering. I have a tp and a pre two, both running stock. Would over clocking the touchpad load pages faster using free tether? What about the phone phone itself.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/12/2011 at 07:02 PM.
    From my experience, using freeTether isn't as fast as when I'm on my home WiFi. What sort of load times are you having? Just went to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and from start to finish about 6-7 seconds. My PC does it in about 3-4 seconds. (fully loaded and ready to use)
    i'm not sure but i think page loading speed is a ram issue. i remember something related to this. When they were discussing scrolling with the browser on an ipad 2 they mentioned that the pages where loading into the memory and remaining their do to having more ram. I don't know if that ram would equate to loading faster but maybe all browsers work that way. but i'm not an expert or anything. i just heard that.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    If you're tethering to the phone, the limitation in page load time is the cellular modem, not the processor or RAM. More RAM will help you keep the page around longer, but overclocking to load faster when tethered is like putting a bigger bucket under a running spigot - it's not going to fill up any faster, but you'll be able to to more with it.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  5.    #5  
    Thanks all, I didn't think so although I read somewhere on the forums about overclocking touchpad and it loaded the same page faster.

@ Derek Kessler
    are you saying that a pc from 10 years ago would load the same as my brand new laptop?
    it will certainly paint the screen faster.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    From my experience, using freeTether isn't as fast as when I'm on my home WiFi. What sort of load times are you having? Just went to [url= - The Global Broadband Speed Test[/url] and from start to finish about 6-7 seconds. My PC does it in about 3-4 seconds. (fully loaded and ready to use)
    Thanks I will do a before and after and see what the difference turn out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Thanks all, I didn't think so although I read somewhere on the forums about overclocking touchpad and it loaded the same page faster.

@ Derek Kessler
    are you saying that a pc from 10 years ago would load the same as my brand new laptop?
    That's a more stark difference. Every single part of your old computer is slower and thus it will process the pages from the modem more slowly. We're comparing a TouchPad at 1.2GHz to one at 1.5GHz with all other things equal. By and large, the TouchPad is going to be able to process things faster than you'll be able to download them while tethered. Over Wi-Fi is a different story.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    If you're tethering to the phone, the limitation in page load time is the cellular modem, not the processor or RAM. More RAM will help you keep the page around longer, but overclocking to load faster when tethered is like putting a bigger bucket under a running spigot - it's not going to fill up any faster, but you'll be able to to more with it.
    Derek,

Thank you for you're insight. May i ask a question? If "more ram will help you keep a page around longer" will more ram make a page load faster from the get go?

Side note: that whole point about making more ram keeping the page around longer is a big reason why i think raw specs are important but not always the biggest selling point. example when i bought my pre minus i wanted pages to stay around longer however i had no clue that ram would make it do that, so had they marketed a phone and said "hey look it's got twice as much ram" i'd never have understood why it mattered and i'd have ignored it. And i think most buyers are like that, and thus though it's important it's just not important to the less tech savvy like me.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.