Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    As storage is one of the main product differentiators mentioned in the product name, HP should market the 50GB free box.net storage prominently. Many folks might not realize it, when comparing the basic specs with other vendors, which is a major disadvantage.

The fruit company will only offer 5GB for free in the icloud and charge $20 for additional 10GB, $40 for 40GB and $100 for 50GB PER YEAR !!!!

HP should also rename OTA to Cloud sync or update, because thats what it essentially is.
    There is a 50GB free box.net storage?? :O

I was thinking of going with the 15$ per month account cause it offers 500GB actually and the ability to sync folders of your computer directly with your box.net account but that 50 changes everything
    what? Why disadvantage? Tp has same hdd space as others, no?

OTA is a method, not a name that HP has to use, sure it can change that. Does it really do any good?
    Agree 100% with OP. They can definitely turn both of those into marketing advantages. and while I'm at it: here is the new slogan:

50 gb free cloud storage through Box.net; CloudSync so you never need to hook up to a computer again.

Only on the HP Touchpad, Touch the Cloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amdo View Post
    ...HP should also rename OTA to Cloud sync or update, because thats what it essentially is.
    I think you're confusing a couple of things on this one.

OTA - Over The Air, and usually refers to updating. Cloud Update might be appropriate (though I don't know that it clears things up any more than OTA), but Cloud Sync would not be an appropriate term.

The HP Profile (previously Palm Profile) on the server is updated over the air, But (and this is important), it's not a sync. It's a backup. Data that is stored on your local profile (it's confusing that they chose to use the same term) on your device is upload to the server based profile, but it's not synced, in that it does not get propogated to your other webOS device(s).
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    As storage is one of the main product differentiators mentioned in the product name, HP should market the 50GB free box.net storage prominently. Many folks might not realize it, when comparing the basic specs with other vendors, which is a major disadvantage.

The fruit company will only offer 5GB for free in the icloud and charge $20 for additional 10GB, $40 for 40GB and $100 for 50GB PER YEAR !!!!

HP should also rename OTA to Cloud sync or update, because thats what it essentially is.
    We use terminology that we find uniquely identifies our products and services while also not causing confusion with customers. You will never see the word sync used in conjecture with backup or updates, since this would not be accurate.

EDIT - hparsons entered his response as I was typing mine, seems we are both on the same page and the general concept is the same.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I'm confused by HP not marketing that Box.net 50GB of storage more prominently. That seems like a pretty big piece of information that could help sell more TouchPads.
  8.    #8  
    agreed, cloud sync might not be a good idea. But i`d still like to make them use the term cloud as long as we have this tiny window of marketing opportunity. Cloud update works for me.

@viper; the reason why I'd like to see the additional storage properly marketed are tables such as the one in the link below (there are more examples):
    Is The TouchPad An iPad Or Xoom Competitor? : HP TouchPad Review: A Tablet For Productivity?
    people nowadays have an attention span of a 6 year old and if they don't read the whole review they just don`t get it.

well, I don`t expect everyone to agree with me but its a missed marketing opportunity from my point of view
    agreed, cloud sync might not be a good idea. But i`d still like to make them use the term cloud as long as we have this tiny window of marketing opportunity. Cloud update works for me.

@viper; the reason why I'd like to see the additional storage properly marketed are tables such as the one in the link below (there are more examples):
    Is The TouchPad An iPad Or Xoom Competitor? : HP TouchPad Review: A Tablet For Productivity?
    people nowadays have an attention span of a 6 year old and if they don't read the whole review they just don`t get it.

well, I don`t expect everyone to agree with me but its a missed marketing opportunity from my point of view
    Actually, I tend to agree with you on this more than not. FWIW, I've long advocated HP expanding how they use the server based profile (well, to be fair, I originally brought it up with Palm). I've had some pretty clear indications that they do plan on expanding the functionality, though they've nto said when. For instance, I think I should be able to log into my profile, and indicate while files I want to keep on the device(s) in question. A simple checkmark will do. That way, I don't a copy of the TapNote Lite (which I no longer need) downloaded right next to my TapNote TouchPad (which is why I no longer need the lesser trial version). As much as I hate to say it, I think HP could look to Apple for some good ideas as to what they should offer (which may be why they wouldn't want to use "Cloud" - bringing howls of derision from the iCrowd at HP copying iCloud). The one difference I would note, make it free, or next to free (charging just enough to pay for the servers). Possibly a basic that's free, offering backup; and an expanded version that's subscription based that gives added features.

Oh yeah, sync'ing between devices would be nice. You could even add live-sync, that makes something received on my phone (selectively) bounce to the server and back to my TouchPad.

As far as Box.Net, I really think that was likely a last minute thing that was offered by Box.Net, likely in the hopes that we'll pay for the subscription service on our PCs. My guess is that with a brand new product, there's only so much you can high-light.

Besides, I typically don't like the advertisements that you get xyz with your product, only to find out you really get sub-xyz, or even crippled-xyz, and xyz-company is expecting more $$ out of you. That's the Windows junk-ware sales model, and I've always disliked it.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    They definitely should be pushing the 50GB box.net account a lot more visibly. I hadn't even heard of that benefit until I saw the $200 off deal posted at fatwallet. I've never really seen it prominently posted anywhere that these are sold. Storage space is always a big deal with these portable devices.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    they should stik that 50 gig cloud storage thing on the box!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    rnolan1087 likes this.
    I agree in theory, but right now I think that some people would find it a little misleading. I think that most people think that cloud storage should be more accessible than it is. As I and others have mentioned on here, you should, for example, be able to access pictures in box without downloading them to the device. Music stored there should stream, etc.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)

iCloud and Box.net are two entirely different things. Box.net is basically just a virtual drive that you can dump any and everything into; iCloud is much much MUCH more sophisticated than that.

Most users of an iDevice won't go over the 5GB as photos and other iOS-related data/documents (music) DON'T count against your storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    iCloud and Box.net are two entirely different things. Box.net is basically just a virtual drive that you can dump any and everything into; iCloud is much much MUCH more sophisticated than that.

Most users of an iDevice won't go over the 5GB as photos and other iOS-related data/documents (music) DON'T count against your storage.
    I wouldn't say sophisticated but yes it is useful. Apple is just doing what people want. I wanted since my first smartphone to be able to sync my files across all my devices. And then I got my HTC desire and I had to root in order to be able to access my files from my computer. And then comes webOS and I learnt that I couldn't use cifs unless I change the kernel. What if someon a private cloud and doesn't want his data in the public cloud? Why do companies have to do everything on the cloud and not just connect a tablet, phone with your computer's hard disk or a nas? Is it that difficult? I need to be able to access my media at home easily. Why do I have to use dropbox or whatever and pay other companies when I have 2TB sitting at home and 100mbps internet connect (Soon :P)
    Sophisticated, yes. You should see the iCloud functionality that wasn't announced by Apple that developers are now implementing into their applications (iPhone, iPad and Mac).
    Sophisticated, yes. You should see the iCloud functionality that wasn't announced by Apple that developers are now implementing into their applications (iPhone, iPad and Mac).
    What more does it offer other than what is advertised ?
    Back on topic please guys... this thread isn't about the iCloud. Back to HP please
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    What more does it offer other than what is advertised ?
    One thing in particular (there are many others): complete device synchronization. For example: play a game on your iPhone, pickup your iPad and play exactly where you left off on the other device.

But yes, back on topic.. box.net is great for collaborating and sharing amongst many users, backups, and just dumping miscellaneous files, but it's by no means a "cloud" solution.

HP should extend their already existing profile backup to be more robust. It should store more than just contacts and apps, it should be storing your photos, and everything else that you choose to include that's on your webOS device.
    rnolan1087 likes this.
    One thing in particular (there are many others): complete device synchronization. For example: play a game on your iPhone, pickup your iPad and play exactly where you left off on the other device.

But yes, back on topic.. box.net is great for collaborating and sharing amongst many users, backups, and just dumping miscellaneous files, but it's by no means a "cloud" solution.

HP should extend their already existing profile backup to be more robust. It should store more than just contacts and apps, it should be storing your photos, and everything else that you choose to include that's on your webOS device.
    Oh that is indeed sophisticated :P

And why not just simply let us with 1 or 2 steps synchronize the files from our computer with webOS devices OTA? (I'm talking about HP) Why everything has to be in the cloud?
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    I need to be able to access my media at home easily. Why do I have to use dropbox or whatever and pay other companies when I have 2TB sitting at home and 100mbps internet connect (Soon :P)
    Assuming you are talking about video media when talking about 2 TB, have you checked out the kalemsoft thread? Might suit your needs.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast