Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    For those of you that had to call HP for a replacement HP due to cracks on the speaker, headphone (my hairline crack is on the SIM card port cover, even tho it has no cell radio) , did you guys get charged a $59.00 fee? Is that the only option available to TP users?

I was told there were two options, the Advance Exchange and "another one", then was told there is only the Advance Exchange and was told that it was $29.99. Then I was asked to call voice to get the exchange processed.

Even though I was told they had all the notes on the system, I had to repeat the same story to the CSR. Then I was told that the fee would be $59.00 and they would put a hold of $365 on my card (which I expected)

Is this S.O.P for TP exchanges? An hour of frustration and at the end, I wanted to be done. He couldn't find my address, then he did, then he lost it...
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    exchanged mine and had no fee at all or shipping. They do put a charge on credit card until they get the old one back. Mine had a small crack but also battery problem. Refurb unit is fine and actually device housing doesn't flex as much.
    Please see your private messages as I have sent you a message in regards to this issue. Please respond so we can work with you and get your issue resolved.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    It shouldn't be happening, where is the problem? I hope nobody else is in this situation and being charged without knowing their options.
  5.    #5  
    HardBeatZ,

Thanks - I just sent you a PM with the information you needed and a link to the email.

Cheers!
    I've had 2 poor experiences with HP chat and voice, once with keyboard issue and once with the 50 app credit, they don't seem to have the right info or the attitude of an A class company. On the same day as I wasted almost an hour with HP with no result, spent 30 minutes in chat with sprint and was very satisfactorily helped. Sprint, yeah you heard me right.
    All my interactions with HP support have been incredibly helpful, and a lot of it depends on your attitude. Basically, don't be a jerk to these people and they'll probably help you better.

When I looked at doing an exchange due to some damage to my Touchpad, I was offered 3 options:
    Basic replacement (free): in two days I'll get a box, I put the TP in the box, send it back, and expect a replacement within 10-15 days
    Expedited replacement ($29.99): Box is overnighted, 5-7 day turnaround
    Advance replacement ($59.99): New Touchpad is overnighted, I have 15 days to return touchpad.
    Next paycheck I'm going to do an advance replacement.
    I had the impression that some ppl got free overnight shipping without first sending old one in, and without paying $59. Is it true? Or is the rule changed now?
  9.    #9  
    Siah1214,

Although I agree with you about the not being a jerk part, the information coming across is very inconsistent, as you see from my posting. While you were offered 3 options, I was offered only 1.

While all of your interactions with HP have been quite helpful, it hasn't been the case with all of us ... and for the record, I was nice to the folks on the other side of the line so for now it seems that it depends on who you talk to... so being nice is not a definite guarantee that you will get the correct information. Fortunately, HardBeatZ stepped up and offered to help...
    bluenote and morydees like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarquez View Post
    Siah1214,

Although I agree with you about the not being a jerk part, the information coming across is very inconsistent, as you see from my posting. While you were offered 3 options, I was offered only 1.

While all of your interactions with HP have been quite helpful, it hasn't been the case with all of us ... and for the record, I was nice to the folks on the other side of the line so for now it seems that it depends on who you talk to... so being nice is not a definite guarantee that you will get the correct information. Fortunately, HardBeatZ stepped up and offered to help...
    Well said.
  11.    #11  
    There was a happy ending to the story. I received a call from HP and everything has been straightened out.

HardBeatZ, thank you for your assistance and for clearing this matter for me. I do appreciate it. Thanks for all you do for webOS users by being here!
    Sorry to rehash an old thread but even after the discontinuation they are still sticking to the same policies!!! After getting my TP I noticed I am having a light leak all along the edges of the bottom half of the device. I called in and was told I have the 3 options; free, $29, and $59 with $365 hold.

I said that it is ridiculous. I work in IT and have had many companies issue advanced exchanges without any charge. I would get the new or refurbed device, put the broken one in the box, and use the free shipping label included to send it back. HP tells me it will cost over half the cost of the device to get an advanced exchange and then put a $365 hold on my card?!?!?! It only costs $99. I asked to speak with a manager but she came back and said no one was available but she asked if it could be waived but was told no.

Now I have to wait for the box to arrive, pay out of my own pocket to ship it back, and then wait 2-3 weeks before getting back a replacement/my repaired TP. I guess I should have expected this kind of treatment after the issues I've had with support for their servers.
    I searched for a thread on Advanced Return Fees and saw this one. I see that it is really old, minus the last post, but I thought I should post in here instead of starting a new thread.

Anyway,
    When I got my touchpad last weekend I noticed the screen coming away from the body and a circular scratch on the back( not really concerned with that). The volume rocker is really loose and makes noise when you rotate the touchpad.

I talked to HP/Palm support through chat and was given the three options. I use the touchpad everyday at school and love it. I to do the Advanced option, but do not have a credit card. I also thought it was a little expensive to be asking for almost 2/3rds of the cost for a replacement, but understand.

Just wondering if anybody here had a way to get the fee waived?

Thanks in Advance.

-Matt
    It's because HP support is actually outsourced, and a large percentage of the reps aren't very knowledgable. I've had to contact HP webOS support for various things multiple times within the past few months, and every single time I have had to politely remind the rep that they are answering a question that I did not ask, and that the question I asked is still not being answered.

It's unfortunate, but many of these reps are just so poorly informed and are literally just repeating from the official manual that they're given. I love webOS and I'm very saddened by everything that's gone wrong with it in HP's hand. HP, a company empty on the inside.
    send a PM to Hardesty and he will guide you to the proper contacts. No way I would pay that fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    It's because HP support is actually outsourced, and a large percentage of the reps aren't very knowledgable. I've had to contact HP webOS support for various things multiple times within the past few months, and every single time I have had to politely remind the rep that they are answering a question that I did not ask, and that the question I asked is still not being answered.

It's unfortunate, but many of these reps are just so poorly informed and are literally just repeating from the official manual that they're given. I love webOS and I'm very saddened by everything that's gone wrong with it in HP's hand. HP, a company empty on the inside.
    That does sucks. I am really loving WebOS in school. I guess I might have to just send it in and wait a few weeks, which will not be fun...
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Normally it's customary to only charge advance replacement fees on a unit after it's been used. But when it arrives in poor condition they should not charge. I have no problem with them putting a charge on my card to insure that I send back the old one. But an actual fee should not be charged on a new unit.

However, back in '99 when I worked for USR, I was told that our cost to do an advanced replacement was actually about $50. Our support people tried very hard not to authorize advance replacements due to our cost. It's not just the cost of shipping. Anything that goes outside the normal processing costs a lot of man hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by midas69 View Post
    Normally it's customary to only charge advance replacement fees on a unit after it's been used. But when it arrives in poor condition they should not charge. I have no problem with them putting a charge on my card to insure that I send back the old one. But an actual fee should not be charged on a new unit.

However, back in '99 when I worked for USR, I was told that our cost to do an advanced replacement was actually about $50. Our support people tried very hard not to authorize advance replacements due to our cost. It's not just the cost of shipping. Anything that goes outside the normal processing costs a lot of man hours.
    Yeah,
    I have no problem with the hold, its just that I have no credit card. I do also understand that it cost money to provide the service, but it's hard to justify the cost.

It is not like they are only giving us this option, it just happens to be the most convenient.
    "Case Manager"

They CAN waive the fee if they want to.....

Mo.
    I have the Glass Separation problem on my new TouchPad. There is also significant light bleeding beneath the bezel in the same section when viewing dark backgrounds (booting, letterbox widescreen movies, USAToday "day in pictures", etc.).

Since this was a fire sale purchase, my only remedy seems to be the 1-Year HP Warranty. Would contacting the HP Butler Service via phone versus webchat make any difference in avoiding advanced exchange fees in this particular situation?

I wouldn't mind waiting for the free repair service if both issues are related and could be resolved at the same time; but I would much rather be able to compare my device to the replacement device if the backlight bleeding and raised glass are separate issues.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast