Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if I purchase an app for my Touchpad if I can also use it on my Pre? Or do I have to purchase it twice. I know this sounds basic but I have searched for an answer and only found threads about initial set up.

And yes I use the same WebOS profile.

Thanks,
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    You'll have to purchase twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    You'll have to purchase twice.
    Sorry speedtouch, that is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Does anyone know if I purchase an app for my Touchpad if I can also use it on my Pre? Or do I have to purchase it twice. I know this sounds basic but I have searched for an answer and only found threads about initial set up.

Thanks,
    If you purchase an app that is marked compatible for both devices, once you have paid for it on one device you will have to go into the app cat on the other device. When you look at the app in the listing it will show the price, when you click on the app to view the description/reviews/etc it will give you the option to download for free.

I have done this by both purchasing on the Veer and the TP and then putting the app on the other device.

It is key that the app is marked compatible for both devices, so obviously, HD or TP only versions will not be available on your phone.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    shadow750 likes this.
    I confirm OldSkoolVWLover's experience.
    "Be excellent to each other!" -Bill & Ted
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Sorry speedtouch, that is incorrect.

If you purchase an app that is marked compatible for both devices, once you have paid for it on one device you will have to go into the app cat on the other device. When you look at the app in the listing it will show the price, when you click on the app to view the description/reviews/etc it will give you the option to download for free.

I have done this by both purchasing on the Veer and the TP and then putting the app on the other device.

It is key that the app is marked compatible for both devices, so obviously, HD or TP only versions will not be available on your phone.
    Great information--thanks for that, and I guess not such a dumb question as the answer appeared to be not widely known. Have I missed any formal discussion on this subject elsewhere--seems like a good piece of information.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    No kidding?! I'm stunned. I had no idea. Man, I am loaded with bad info this morning. Don't anyone take my advice today, I'm on a very bad roll.

I'm sorry. And thanks for correcting me.
    I'd sooner resurrect this slightly old post than make a new one....

What if the purchasing was the other way around? I bought an app on my Palm Pre Plus (1.4.5) which I know is the same version as is on the Touchpad: specifically KalemSoft Media Player v0.3.4. However, after purchasing it on my Pre and backing up my account, it has yet to appear in the TouchPad's App Catalog as a "free" download or whatever; the price is still $6.99. I don't want to take the risk of clicking the "$6.99" and having it charge me... and I don't what to have to pay for the same app twice.

So what can I do??
    If you see $6.99 then the App Catalog does not think you have already paid for that app. Are you signed into the same profile on both devices?
    If it says free, then you can get it for free. Try talking to the developer through their support link in the TouchPad App Catalog. If you still have a receipt from your Pre purchase....they may (or may not) offer you a promo code. That is probably the only chance you have at getting it free. I haven't tried the Pre version, however I do have the TouchPad version and am quite happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jwleung View Post
    Are you signed into the same profile on both devices?
    I'll take that as a yes
    Quote Originally Posted by nick15 View Post

What if the purchasing was the other way around? I bought an app on my Palm Pre Plus (1.4.5) which I know is the same version as is on the Touchpad: specifically KalemSoft Media Player v0.3.4. However, after purchasing it on my Pre and backing up my account, it has yet to appear in the TouchPad's App Catalog as a "free" download or whatever; the price is still $6.99. I don't want to take the risk of clicking the "$6.99" and having it charge me... and I don't what to have to pay for the same app twice.

So what can I do??
    According to the app info page the Pre version is not the same at the TP version.

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...icationid=9146

I can verify that apps that are setup for both devices will work either way as I have done it paid on phone and TP then got the app on the other device for free.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    helpful thread all... thanks.

Question - how/where do you view whether the apps are setup for both devices? Not sure what i'm looking for.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick15 View Post

So what can I do??
    KalemSoft Media player specifically has to be purchased separately for phone and tablet. The developer of the app mentioned this in another thread; you should contact them directly if you haven't already.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by philipmartin View Post
    helpful thread all... thanks.

Question - how/where do you view whether the apps are setup for both devices? Not sure what i'm looking for.

Thanks.
    If you have a TouchPad when you view an app in the catalog, on the left side by the date there is a section that says "Compatible with" or something similar.

Using the phone App Catalog, it doesn't necessarily have it marked unless the developer is kind enough to add it to the app's description.
    I am, therefore I think
    I was under the impression that "Touchpad" compatible meant that the app was coded using webos 3, which means it would not be backward compatible. Any apps that I have purchased for my 1.4.5 pre instantly came to my touchpad when I forst brought it up, leading e to believe that any pre apps I buy I could also download on my touchpad for free...
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    I was under the impression that "Touchpad" compatible meant that the app was coded using webos 3, which means it would not be backward compatible. Any apps that I have purchased for my 1.4.5 pre instantly came to my touchpad when I forst brought it up, leading e to believe that any pre apps I buy I could also download on my touchpad for free...
    TouchPad compatible just means it has been tested to be used on the TouchPad without any known bugs or discrepancies. Sometimes an app can be labeled as TouchPad compatible but it doesn't scale up to the size of the larger screen or if it does scale, the graphics become very pixelated.

Compatibility between phone and TouchPad has been recently update by HP so that developers can choose to bundle the TouchPad optimized version of an app with the a phone optimized version. The developer can choose not to take advantage of this though. For example, KalemSoft Media Player is an app that requires separate purchases for TP and phone. While Music Player (Remix) does not; you can download the TouchPad version of it for free if you use the same webOS profile on both devices.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Due to the way the apps are packaged, app developers can make apps compatible and optimized for multiple device screens.

Paper Basketball is a good example of this, the developer optimized the app for all current devices (possibly not Pre3, not sure on that one). So the same purchase will work on Veer/Pixi, Pre/+/2, and TouchPad. Even though these devices all run on different versions of the OS, and have multiple screen resolutions the single purchase will install properly on all devices.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Anyone know if this will work if I have multiple touchpads on the same profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    Anyone know if this will work if I have multiple touchpads on the same profile?
    Yes, TouchPads using the same profile will only require you to purchase an app once.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Sweet, I guess I got some updatin' to do when I get home.