Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Dropped off mac this aft for a week of repairs so just TouchPad use for a week, a litttle trepadatious, lets see how it goes.

Day 1
    Pleasantly surprised how easy it was to edit officelibre spreadsheet on ubuntu with virtual keyboard. Flipped back and forth to emails with contact info, no cut and paste into ubuntu from webOS partition but on positive side, libreoffice calc easier to edit than office2008 excel on mac, guess I should have known.

pulled up Pandora in Glimpse and listened while I worked. More and more I am using glimpse to find content or media that cheers and enlivens my day and keeping it always open, while opening and closing other apps for the political doom and gloom news of the day.

kept calc and chromium open and got too many cards and blank email at above 11 or 12 cards but held ok at abt 9.

observation: cards easier than me than windows, regular keyboard may be easier than vkb, will try it tomorrow.

edit: realized I had forgotten to keep a copy on the touchpad of the notes I took last month which would be good to read over before next Tues meeting. Too late now unless I take my hard drive clone to someone else's computer. Hmmm, an argument to use box.net for storage of current projects.
    Another idea: wonder if I can use web version of mozyhome backup to get file, might be worth finding out.

observation: being forced to use the vkb, I discovered the :-). What do the others mean?
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/11/2011 at 06:03 PM.
    Nice I would be interested in doing this if I didn't spend every day in front of a computer...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    when you run ubuntu does it run on top of the unix built into the TP or replace it?
    It runs in an x server window that behaves like any other webOS card
    nice!
  6.    #6  
    Was able to successfully download a file from mozyhome backup via the web on chromium browser in ubuntu. Had to switch to Bluetooth keyboard in order to use the scroll in Chromium as finger did not work. Finally used search button to find file and download and success! It was a typewriter beta file so libreoffice did not open it but I moved it over to the webos side (I think Word does read typewriter beta file but will have to check).

Earlier tried the webOS browser in mozy's web client and Mozy said browser was running a version of safari that was not compatible. Tried Firefox in ubuntu and system froze, pulled out the charger and it rebooted. When I went back in to use chromium, I kept the other cards open to a minimum.

Since I am using this as my main device, I decided to try installing J-Stop from Preware with auto garbage collect to free up memory.

edit: good thing I checked my mozy account as they are ending the unlimited sub plan and plan on raising my price 100%. Luckily, my subscription lasts for 12 more months before the New rates kick in.
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/11/2011 at 09:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    are you using Pandora through the browser or the app?
    is there a way to link it to glimpse?
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Pulled up Pandora in Glimpse and listened while I worked. More and more I am using glimpse to find content or media that cheers and enlivens my day and keeping it always open, while opening and closing other apps for the political doom and gloom news of the day.
    How are you using Glimpse to find content or media? Are you talking about just using RSS?
  9.    #9  
    there is a version of glimpse that offers a google reader and allows one to add on certain other features, my favs so far are maps and Pandora. Check the dev's Twitter and/or his thread here for more details.
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/13/2011 at 05:30 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Day two

Morning routine:
    Did not realize how much I used itunes with my stereo via airportexpress streaming.
    For a proxy, navigated to grooveshark via browser card and listened to the songs I had marked as my favorites from prior listenings to other's playlists. It was great.

Decided to use my Sennheiser HD 280 headphones bought on amazon for $60 and since I was using the headphones, uninstalled the lite sound boost patch from preware, took 20 seconds, good job homebrew. Sounds great.

Added a video podcast on exercise routines to the launcher (this is a patch)

Added a podcast to simple podcaster (found in app catalog for free) and added a few feeds to google reader
    edit: found out a few days later that videoflood will download podcasts

After I read the news with google reader in Glimpse and skimmed twitter, opened up doodle in one of the Glimpse panes, and made a drawing with my finger.

Morning work:

Set Pre on the side to give me email notifications as it meant I did not need to leave TouchPad window, even to touch notifications on the top of the TouchPad screen until I determined that I needed to answer email.

Moment of panic when needed to do something important but surprisingly Ok to use google in browser to get hard-to-find facts and contacts, I was successful.
    edit: got a huge compliment for this piece of work, woot.

For email, quickly went to Bluetooth keyboard as I needed to scroll through long emails and delete. Answer was immediate (within 30 seconds) to one email I wrote, great.
    Disappointed that beginning to type a name did not add email address unless already in contacts. On the other hand, scrolled to an email, asked to add into contacts and it automatically filled the email field for me, great.

Maps
    Opened bing maps to find locations for Sunday's trip. Found both locations easy. Would only give directions, though, if I enabled location finder, interesting.

Took a break to write this post. While writing, opened videotape on launcher for exercise routine, it continued to stream audio as I wrote this post and when I switched to it to see the routine, it immediately jumped to the current place in the video.
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/13/2011 at 05:31 PM.
  11.    #11  
    observation:

If Bluetooth keyboard turns off, a quick tap of the keyboard turns it back on, no need to go back into tablet Bluetooth menu and select

Select and copy seems to work best with a direct tap and hold, am still getting the hang of this

Keeping 9 cards open seems to be OK for TouchPad, 4 or 5 if I am running video. If an email is blank or a website does not load, I throw off a few cards. Jstop in Preware has been my friend.

For details on my initial TouchPad setup before using it, see thread below

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...oldtimers.html
    observation:

If Bluetooth keyboard turns off, a quick tap of the keyboard turns it back on, no need to go back into tablet Bluetooth menu and select
    To add to that, even if you power down the BT keyboard with the switch, it will auto connect when you power it back up.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13.    #13  
    successfully attacked modified calc file to email.

as this is now my work computer,I started sitting on a physio ball for better posture, putting the TouchPad on a stepstool. Worked well.
    google maps? that works now?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    google maps? that works now?
    good catch, corrected to bing maps
    successfully attacked modified calc file to email.
    Did you beat the s*** out of that file! Sorry...couldn't resist!

At work I write meeting minutes in TapNote then copy them into Typewriter Beta because those files can be opened in Notepad and copied in-tact right into Word. Works fine, and quite quick. Good solution until QuickOffice hits, especially for those that don't want to load Ubuntu and Libre onto their TouchPad.
    what's the big deal with all these people using just the TP, I stopped using my laptop and desktop when I got my TP and I do a lot of my work from the TP as well and my boss is very impressed because is almost imobile on his BB Playbook.

But what is the fascination with hearing that a usable device is actually usable?
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    TableTopFreak likes this.
  18.    #18  
    [QUOTE=falconrap;3065229]Did you beat the s*** out of that file! Sorry...couldn't resist!]

er, unfortunately not too far from the truth.

Tried to use mytelenav last night to save locations for navigator for upcoming trip. It worked ok except when it needed to open maps, it then said it was optimized for the iPad and I should use the mobile version. The mobile version did not find addresses from names like the web version does so i opened another browser card to find the addresses off the web and then copied them into Telenav.

Browser also worked ok for car rental sites but not for carrentals.com, I had to find some advanced search page, but for the record, I have to do that on the mac too.
    ps car rental prices seem to have increased from last summer, didn"t they get the memo that we are still in quasi-recession?
    observation:

It took me almost 2 weeks to figure that out lol
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    But what is the fascination with hearing that a usable device is actually usable?
    It's the polite way of saying "I told you so" without saying "I told you so"
    bluenote likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast