Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #21  
    day 3
    browsed through videoflood podcast bookmarks, downloaded an 8 min oceans vid of dolphins leaping thru water , gorgeous
    I don't use a 'normal' computer for my every day use at all anymore. Only use my desktop for Photoshop. I am pretty comfortable just using the Touchpad, but I am getting frustrated with its jitteriness. I find a fresh reboot will usually get it working smoother.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Since the day my TP arrived it became my preferred & by far most used web access device. In addition I've found about 60% of mail can/is handled easily from the TP so overall about 70% of all my online time is now TP based with 10% on my Pre+ the remainder on my Thinkpad laptop or netbook. I prefer the TP for speed, ease of access, ability to carry with me virtually anywhere and the bonuses of being my Kindle reader, video/music player (with a much larger screen and better battery life than even my Pre+ in those uses).

Overall a great addition to my electronics I'm finding more useful everyday.
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    I don't use a 'normal' computer for my every day use at all anymore. Only use my desktop for Photoshop. I am pretty comfortable just using the Touchpad, but I am getting frustrated with its jitteriness. I find a fresh reboot will usually get it working smoother.
    I don't have that issue but do have memory issues if too many cards. I assume you installed the patches discussed in the tips thread-link a few posts up from this one.
    @home I don't think I've used a traditional PC other than for loading things onto the TP. Gonna have to spend some time using the HTPC as a computer soon to get kalemsoft all setup.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6.    #26  
    day 3 late afternoon

finally started to stream the $0.99 amazon movie- on -demand from the browser. It gave download option but only for pcs with special software needed.
    it streamed fine but there was a frame around it, did not see that I would use this service that often.
    paused it and went to my panny bluray networked player to see if I could resume.
    The panny player took awhile to start, at least 5 min as it also insisted on opening the blueray in the player before I could move to the network and then it traditionally takes time to connect (score 1 for touchpad)
    amazon gave an option to resume but even so, it started from the beginning again.
    the blacks were very washed out in the afternoon light (score 2 for touchpad) but once the picture moved past the opening sequence of course it was much more enjoyable on the big tv.
    still I was pleasantly surprised to find any touchpad positive comparisons.
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/14/2011 at 05:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Nice
    Its really the post pc era
  8.    #28  
    day 4

Starting my third trip with the touchpad today. USAir website java script (I dislike their webpage) would not check me in with webOS or Firefox ubuntu browser but chromium ubuntu worked ok, I have always had trouble with that website even on mac or pc.

For details of my 2 earlier trips, see thread below, since those times we got 3.02 update.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...t-didnt-2.html

edit: delay at airport, listening to web grooveshark favorite songs with sennheiser 280hd headset, sounds great
    flightview working ok for delayed flights, seems to update slower than airport gate attendant Info although a few weeks ago was faster, my guess is it varies by airport
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/14/2011 at 10:17 AM.
  9.    #29  
    day 4
    spent all afternoon in an airport trying to rebook flight that was cancelled. Light weight of the touchpad, tether with pre was great to try to find alternate flights. Light weight really helped when traveling gate to gate in various terminals to try to rebook. Battery life was good.
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/17/2011 at 09:21 PM.
  10.    #30  
    Day 5

Was visiting iPad1 owner who own iPhone, mac and pc. They looked at my touchpad and were envious at the Glimpse app, the multitasking and ease of switching between apps.

we looked up their vacation spot in France and they liked the birds eye view in bing maps much better than google maps on their ipad1.

Shows to me that without all the fanboyism, getting a properly set up touchpad in the hands of the public will convert users.

In turn, they were trying to show me facebook photos on their iPad and had trouble, I think mostly because of the slow WiFi but am not sure. They did play a cool hangman app game with a relative online, pretty great way to keep in touch with family.

Tried to set up Skype with them to see if it could work. IPad1 apparently doesn't have a frontfacing camera although audio worked fine with Touchpad.
    MacBook did not work well with Touchpad, video looked good on Touchpad but fuzzy on mac.

Day 6
    Libre office calc worked well with excel file.

Libre office writer stripped the formatting from Word file.
    Also could not find downloaded Word file that was attached to email using Internalzpro and Quickoffice app did not find it (although I could open it from the email).

Had trouble also finding the cc line on the email app, is there one? Email app auto corrected which was sometimes helpful but one really has to pay attention as is sometimes not, for instance it auto corrected my signature line to something strange.
    It also stripped the bullet formatting from an email and replaced it with the formatting code.
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/18/2011 at 07:48 AM.
  11.    #31  
    Day 7
    TouchPad great again on airplane. Watched downloaded video and listened to music with plenty of spare battery life. It really shines as a traveler's device.

used Moshe antiglare ipad protector to cut down on glare, not a perfect fit but I like it because can be easily taken of and put on again.
  12.    #32  
    This video worth watching:

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    At work I write meeting minutes in TapNote then copy them into Typewriter Beta because those files can be opened in Notepad and copied in-tact right into Word.
    FYI, if you are using Notepad you can enable Windows linebreaks to have TapNote files open perfectly in Notepad, as well (and cut out the copy and paste step). To do so in the full version of TapNote:

1) Swipe down at the top left of the screen to open the app menu and tap Preferences
    2) Tap the "..." button at the bottom left
    3) Switch the Windows Linebreaks toggle to "on" and tell TapNote that yes, you really do want to do this when it asks you to verify via popup

In TapNote Lite:

1) Swipe down at the top left of the screen to open the app menu, and tap Help
    2) Tap the Windows Linebreaks heading
    3) Switch the Windows Linebreaks toggle to "on" and verify in the popup

The next time you sync after doing this, your documents in Dropbox will be updated to use Windows linebreaks (and all documents will use Windows linebreaks from then on), allowing them to be opened in Notepad without a problem.
    Ian Beck
    Maker of TapNote
  14.    #34  
    new trip
    ubuntu calc worked perfectly to open a spreadsheet that quickoffice could not read.
    transferred files twice from sd card. Bluetooth keyboard worked well for quick typing and otherwise sits in drawer.
    I couldn't go 1 wk with just TP. Here are things I can't do on TP as of now:

1) can't access my bank website unless I go to their mobile site.

2) can't use Schwab website since pull down menus don't work.

3) can't down load videos or mp3's.

4) no Korean language support (its in iOS so I use iphone4).

so yeah, TP can't quite replace a pc yet.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    I couldn't go 1 wk with just TP. Here are things I can't do on TP as of now:

1) can't access my bank website unless I go to their mobile site.

2) can't use Schwab website since pull down menus don't work.

3) can't down load videos or mp3's.

4) no Korean language support (its in iOS so I use iphone4).

so yeah, TP can't quite replace a pc yet.
    schwab site and downloading mp3 from amaxon worked fine for me with chromium
  17.    #37  
    postscriots.
    kindle works great downloading library books
    usb mode works fine to get database files from public library
    mini usb to usb mode worked on trip via ubuntu to transfer files from flash drive with self powered hub and otg cord
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12