Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By viper151
  • 1 Post By AndyBear
  1.    #1  
    This is starting to be ridiculous. We feel desperately alone when it goes to the TouchPad.

    HP in Europe does not supporting us. We have to pay the full price for the TouchPad, no price drop shows up and we haven't got the 50$ rebate. (Ok I'm jalous :-) I bought mine in begining july... )

    Great apps such as Kindle are not available on the Store, Why? I have an account on amazon.com I've already purchased books for my kindle. Why this limitation ?

    We don't understand the motivation behind all the "stores" in Europe, Palm users from Switzerland and Belgium reportedly said that they can't purchase app, only free apps. Why ? This is not a tax issue, Buying an App on Android store from Europe was never a problem.

    (And I won't speak about the HP movie store that is not comming to Europe or some bad localisations of webOS...)

    In US, Apple has 80% of the tablet's market while in Europe only 70%, so there is a place for the Touchpad (http://blogs.forrester.com/sarah_rotman_epps).


    I like HP and I'm very happy to see the webOS supported by this company but "Mr HP" don't forget us....
  2. #2  
    Man... If the HP is bad with you , try to imagine here, in Brazil (growing without financial crisis) where we NEVER has some device with webOS...

    You are well, and don't know...


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrapin View Post
    This is starting to be ridiculous. We feel desperately alone when it goes to the TouchPad.

    HP in Europe does not supporting us. We have to pay the full price for the TouchPad, no price drop shows up and we haven't got the 50$ rebate. (Ok I'm jalous :-) I bought mine in begining july... )

    Great apps such as Kindle are not available on the Store, Why? I have an account on amazon.com I've already purchased books for my kindle. Why this limitation ?

    We don't understand the motivation behind all the "stores" in Europe, Palm users from Switzerland and Belgium reportedly said that they can't purchase app, only free apps. Why ? This is not a tax issue, Buying an App on Android store from Europe was never a problem.

    (And I won't speak about the HP movie store that is not comming to Europe or some bad localisations of webOS...)

    In US, Apple has 80% of the tablet's market while in Europe only 70%, so there is a place for the Touchpad (http://blogs.forrester.com/sarah_rotman_epps).


    I like HP and I'm very happy to see the webOS supported by this company but "Mr HP" don't forget us....
    About the apps I can understand. There are legal issues but about the original price this is ridiculous. I just bought mine from amazon.com and with the import taxes the price is still lower than the UK one. In UK the price is

    UK PRICE -VAT :333 =540$
    UK PRICE AFTER VAT :399 = 647 $

    Import fees are like 50 so it's still better.
    But it's even worse in Euro. HP set the price so I won't say that vat is included or not because it doesn't make sense. Every country has different vat and we all pay 499 no matter what.

    EU PRICE AFTER VAT: 499 = 710

    FFS. I paid 360 Euros and bought it from amazon.com for 130 Euros less which is almost 230$. I could buy two touchpads in US with that price.
    ukdoc and wolfgart like this.
  4. #4  
    The Touchpad is now 399Euros in Germany! Yeah.
    djfun likes this.
  5. #5  
    I live in the NL and bought my TP while visiting the US and activated it UK (otherwise I cannot use my creditcard to buy apps). I'm also frustrated by the way HP is handling the world outside the US. I really miss not having the Kindle app but refuse to jailbreak my TP for that.
    The reason for buying a TP is that I like webOS and be able to connect my tablet to my PC. Nevertheless I really hope that HP will learn to appreciate its customers overseas and treat them likewise. Having to wait an extra week for getting the Pivot August edition is ridiculous.. This way the TP will never be a serious competitor for the iPad over here...
  6. #6  
    Just been to currys, it's now 349.99 which is better, but is it enough? Still seems to be a long way from parity with the US.
  7. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyBear View Post
    The Touchpad is now 399Euros in Germany! Yeah.
    From where? Is it only in German language?
    Quote Originally Posted by cymbalhead View Post
    Just been to currys, it's now 349.99 which is better, but is it enough? Still seems to be a long way from parity with the US.
    Still not enough

    349=399Euros=568$.
    Not even close to US price but close to the 100$ reduction. 50GBP is like 80USD....
    Why HP is so unfair with us ? Actually truth to be told they were more unfair with the Euro price which was out of mind. You could get two touchpads with that price.



    HP should learn about xe.com and x-rates.com. The exchange rate hasn't never been that low for the 399 dollars to be 399 Euros.

    My order from Amazon.com is Order Total: $497.93
    Attached is my Price in USD (497$) with import fees AND shipping (Which I was refunded due to late shipment) and I was charged from Amazon in Euros . Although 497$ is like 350 Euros Amazon charged me 360 which is still fine for given the fact that I have to pay 399GBP in UK.

    I think I'll import touchpads, pay 360 for them sell them 339GBP and still make some money :P


    BTW I was in carphone warehouse looking at the touchpad and I didn't notice the price reduction and now that you mentioned it I went back to the store and the flyer was saying 349 :P
    PS [img] is not working is it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by viper151; 08/12/2011 at 10:08 AM.
  8.    #9  
    Prices changes in France to :

    16 Gb down to 399€
    32 Gb down to 499€. So it's a rebate of 79 euros...

    This is a good start. So next one should be the 50$ coupon for early adopters?
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    About the apps I can understand. There are legal issues but about the original price this is ridiculous.
    There are no legal issues that a two-bit store anywhere in the EU hasn't already solved. This defending HP for treating the EU as different markets is silly! i18n for Europe is no problem, l10n might be. There are no "legal issues", the only reasonable reason is that HP thinks they need to create an entire experience including language, specific Pivot issue and the other crap, just to launch their products in a "new market". Hey, HP! Let us worry about not getting a personalised invitation, just don't get in the way of us when we want to give you money!
  10.    #11  
    Yes, we get our personalized "Pivot "(2 or 3 days after the US release), I don't think this is an issue. The store we have access to, is based on our profile, mine (for example) is link with the French strore.

    What is "strange" is that : when you look at comments on application, you don't see what other have said... Most european are speaking more than one language... so it could help to see comments even in another language.

    For HP it could be an issue for some app such as the one made for watching video, wich is forbiden outside US. But that can be solve using other technical solution, such as filter based on IP adresse.

    I don't see the motivation for having several stores for HP ...
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrapin View Post
    Yes, we get our personalized "Pivot "(2 or 3 days after the US release), I don't think this is an issue. The store we have access to, is based on our profile, mine (for example) is link with the French strore.

    What is "strange" is that : when you look at comments on application, you don't see what other have said... Most european are speaking more than one language... so it could help to see comments even in another language.

    For HP it could be an issue for some app such as the one made for watching video, wich is forbiden outside US. But that can be solve using other technical solution, such as filter based on IP adresse.

    I don't see the motivation for having several stores for HP ...
    I'm not following what you are saying :/ We only have one store, but have different thresholds set in place to limit what each person may see based on variables and rules.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  12. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by KallistiMan View Post
    There are no legal issues that a two-bit store anywhere in the EU hasn't already solved. This defending HP for treating the EU as different markets is silly! i18n for Europe is no problem, l10n might be. There are no "legal issues", the only reasonable reason is that HP thinks they need to create an entire experience including language, specific Pivot issue and the other crap, just to launch their products in a "new market". Hey, HP! Let us worry about not getting a personalised invitation, just don't get in the way of us when we want to give you money!
    Of course there are legal issues involved. How is HP going to justify these earnings from the paid applications?
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Of course there are legal issues involved. How is HP going to justify these earnings from the paid applications?
    What do you mean "justify"? If you mean pay tax and report VAT, that is exactly what the EU is made for. The common market is about the only thing that actually works in the EU. If you can sell something in one country (like UK, Ireland, Germany, France) you can sell it to any country in the EU. Actually, not doing it might have legal issues as that could constitute infringing on the common market.

    Unless you mean "legal issues" as in something that any one person company (like mine) can solve without one lawyer involved and with a single form, then sure, there are "issues"

    Regardless there are no legal problems buying applications online in Europe from the US anyway, I've bought scores of apps and big software packages from US stores using Swedish issued payment/credit cards (VISA/Amex). There are treaties established for that.

    What could be problematic are:
    • Export restrictions
      Like applications using cryptographic algorithms or apps using software patents (software patents are illegal in the EU, therefore legal EU apps could be illegal in for example US). For the few apps concerned the app store must have restrictions.
    • Service license restrictions
      Like streaming licensed content, i.e. Pandora etc. For these apps the store shouldn't be concerned, it's the usage that needs to be restricted. A US user that has moved outside should reasonably be as restricted using the app as anyone else from outside the licensed area.
    • Carrier restrictions
      This is a special case of service license restriction, for apps specifically designed for a carrier, like the Navigation apps. For them there should probably be a combination of app store restrictions and service provider usage restrictions, just to satisfy their paranoia.


    For the rest, just design a good app store user interface that lets me filter apps in languages I don't know and designed for areas I'm not interested in. When I learn a new language, travel or move I must be able to change my filter. It's not rocket science... Unless you start by letting carriers decide your strategy for you.
    Last edited by KallistiMan; 08/12/2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions