1.    #1  
    Knocking Down Apple's Walled Garden: HTML5 vs. iOS Apps

Can anyone try on his touchpad?
    https://read.amazon.com/about

If it doesn't work, is it possible to change the useragent?

It's good news because big players realise that instead of an app for each platform, they can make a web app that will work on all of them.

Number of apps won't matter that much anymore, only the quality of the OS and the UI experience. And we all know that on this field, WebOS wins.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    It doesn't work with the TP browser. But it's a good idea to try with a iPhone/Pad browser spoof. Does that already exits for the TP?
    works on my pre+ but says my browser isn't supported, wants me to DL chrome or safari.
    interestingly, my transformer does the same thing, I thought it had a chrome based browser, maybe I'm misinformed.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I dont know why it needs chrome. Its nothing special.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Because they have blocked any browsers they haven't specifically tested in house yet.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Because they have blocked any browsers they haven't specifically tested in house yet.
    who only tests on a couple of browsers? Crazy.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Apparently Amazon and Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Organizations that can't see the forest for the apple tree in front of them.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Organizations that can't see the forest for the apple tree in front of them.
    This, however, WalMart's "iPad optimized" web store works great on the touchpad.
    They should've just included a disclaimer saying "Hey, we only tested on Chrome and Safari. Even though we make billions of dollars, we could only afford to test those two browsers. YMMV on other browsers" instead of just blocking browsers.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    They should've just included a disclaimer saying "Hey, we only tested on Chrome and Safari. Even though we make billions of dollars, we could only afford to test those two browsers. YMMV on other browsers" instead of just blocking browsers.
    It could be that they know the features they tested works with those versions of WebKit, whereas the version of WebKit that HP is using isn't up to date/compatible with the features yet.

I hope that either they figure out what makes the versions act/render differently and correct it so that we can use the web app.
    read a review that said kindle web way more clunky than mobile app but have not tested myself
  13.    #13  
    To quote them: "Support for additional browsers coming soon."

It's very new. Also don't have all the features of the app, it's a work in progress yet.

More important than "does it work or not" is that big names (at least one, yet) are ****ed of apple store policy and go for a webapp.

It's at least interesting for me because I chose the path of webapps over native apps, and seeing Amazon doing the same is making me think my choice was good.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Because it relies on offline file storage that only Chrome and Safari support on the desktop. No conspiracy here.
    The problem is that WebOS has a really lousy WebKit implementation. Things that work well on other WebKit browsers can cause a WebOS browser to reboot the entire unit. It is a common refrain among web developers that the WebOS's browser kinda sucks compared to other WebKit browsers. My guess is that Amazon doesn't want to be bothered with support calls for something that is not their issue.

I know the dev team has indicated that giving WebOS a better WebKit implementation is higher on their list, so the only real question is whether they can keep pace with the other vendors.
  16. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I received some sort of untrusted site cert error so swiped the page away. Didn't want to click on any of the links.
    I contacted vudu support about their new web app on the TouchPad
    This was their answer:
    We do not currently claim support with the HP Touchpad but we are always looking to expand our service so we are looking into creating compatibility with more devices when we can. I will send this up for consideration for testing compatibility.

Vudu starts streaming movies to the iPad, chooses the web app route -- Engadget

Has anyone tried vudu on their touchpad?
    I just did, actually, turns out no workey. Doesn't recognize it as a supported device.