Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73
Like Tree31Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok guys and gals! I am a proud new owner of the TP 16 Gig version and all I have to say is: HELLS YEAH.

    Ahem. Now for all of those folks who have complaints and issues, some legitimate some not so much, I offer a word of advice: RELAX.

    webOS on this device is QUITE GOOD. The connectivity, the 'synergy', the look and the feel just about every aspect of what the device is all about is spot on. I have mine running the F15C Overclock kernel and the unit is CRISPY good. I am thinking about naming my TP 'spanky' because the darn thing just smacks whatever task I throw at it.

    I continue to be a little blown away by the nitpickers out there. Folks complaining about this tablet in all its homebrew goodness is like complaining about a pimple you found on the **** of a supermodel. A supermodel that comes over everyday to feed you peeled grapes wearing nothing but an apron!!!!

    This tablet will only get better and webOS is the best OS out there period. It is intuitive and adaptive and it just WORKS. Don't let the Apple ******* brainwash you folks. They did not corner the market on innovation. Variety is the spice of life and the HP Touchpad is one spice that I intend to use on just about every piece of electronic media I consume.
  2. #2  
    I haven't used a TP device yet (apart from messing around with one in Best Buy), but it seems the biggest drawback so far is just its functionality out of the box. It's not a great selling point to tell someone that the TP WILL work great once you download an update with a million bug fixes, install 50 homebrew patches, use several workarounds, etc. Many of the complaints I've read on here seem to be addressed with something along the lines of "there's a patch for that in preware" or "that's a well-known bug to be addressed in a future OTA". The average consumer just wants the thing to work right out of the box.
  3. #3  
    Oh I agree completely.

    First day - Synergy, downloading apps, and test driving my new baby!

    Second day - web interface, Flash, and access to most everything and supported natively.

    First Month - now one month later, Kindle support, webOS 3.02 update smoothing out the bumps in the road, and now I have complete access to my NAS media storage using BHome DLNA client for music, movies, etc.

    I haven't even begun to use the 50gb of Box.net online storage provided for free for life and available anywhere (TouchPad, Mac, Windows, etc). The worse part for me relates to watching my wife use her Nook Color rooted for functionality, but missing so much compared to webOS.

    We're really excited about the TouchPad 7" coming out and just hope HP gets the pricing sweet spot just right! Sorli...
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Oh I agree completely.

    and now I have complete access to my NAS media storage using BHome DLNA client for music, movies, etc.
    How did you do this without a patch?
  5. #5  
    I can deal with all the software issues. I know they are working on fixes. I am as much of a Palm / webOS fan as anyone else out there, having been through many PalmOS devices and then a Pre Plus, paid $450 for my unlocked Pre2, and now paid $600 on launch day for my 32GB TouchPad.

    But the cracks on the casing are really ridiculous in my opinion. I exchanged my TouchPad yesterday and I am now scared to even put it in its case or take it anywhere because I dont want the new one to crack either.



    If someone made a replacement casing in aluminum I would pay $100 for it.
  6. gtalum's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #6  
    I just got mine yesterday. I have to say so far I am very pleased. I had a minor issue getting PreWare installed (user error ) but I wiped it and started over and it runs very well with the UberKernel clocked at 1.5 GHz.

    Right out of the box an iPad 2 is better, but with a few patches IMHO the TouchPad comes out ahead thus far. This is my first webOS device so I'm learning as I go, but I really like the concept.
  7.    #7  
    Hey Yank! I understand that 'out of the box' functionality is nice, however a little fiddling at this point is well worth the effort when it comes to the big picture functionality you reap once you master the little things. Apple makes a nice product but it is terribly restrictive and not nearly as fluid as webOS. webOS allows you to grow with the tech instead of hoping the tech overlords allow you a glimpse of what an open platform can do.
  8. #8  
    Mmm grapes

    my touchpad is just kick *** without overclocking.
    kjb86 likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    install 50 homebrew patches, use several workarounds, etc. Many of the complaints I've read on here seem to be addressed with something along the lines of "there's a patch for that in preware"
    As someone who has been heavily patching webOS devices for almost 2 years now. The 50 patches is WAY high, I don't think there are many around running even 10 patches. I think we have 5 or fewer on the TP, also with the Veer I am using far fewer patches than I was on my original Pre on 1.4.5.

    Just saying the OS may not be perfect, but those that aren't using the device seem to be thinking it's like 1.x webOS and it is FAR from that.


    Ohhh and to add, I put preware on the day we got the TP and same with the Veers, there just isn't as much to patch any more.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  10. #10  
    Yes, I love the patching and had my Pre Plus all patched up. It's nice for things like changing your carrier string and whatnot. But I was bragging to an Android-owner friend of mine about some of my patches and he just showed me that his phone could do those things without a patch. There are just a lot of basic things that shouldn't have to be patched for.

    And, yes, I was exaggerating with the "50 patches" comment.
  11. davidtm's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaringkind View Post
    . . . is like complaining about a pimple you found on the **** of a supermodel. A supermodel that comes over everyday to feed you peeled grapes wearing nothing but an apron!!!! . . .
    Pix, or it didn't happen!!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  12. #12  
    While I appreciate and in some regards agree with your gushing comments of the TP. To say it just works, is a bit of an exaggeration. Some of the more detailed oriented and business minded folk may find the overall experience to be rather lacking due to the novelty of the product and the less than satisfactory app ecosystem, at the moment. I trust with time it will get better and I'm glad the price as been lowed to reflect these things. A less exuberant perspective but more balanced.

    Granted, webos is fantastic, I greatly dislike ios (it's nothing but a giant app launcher now) and am rather spoiled by webos 3 now that I have an ipad and TP to direct compare. However, there are several little things that need tweaked to include some minor lag here in there (yes it's there even patched, updated and using uberkernel), notice I say minor, in comparison to ios. This is a development issue that will be worked out in future versions I'm sure.

    The copy/paste functions need to be made smoother and more intuitive, feels like I have to fight to get it to work at times.

    There is zero ereader to speak (please don't mention preader, it's awful on the TP) of and a more robust document editing/viewing app would be greatly welcomed. Something like goodreader though they said they are sticking with ios exclusively.

    I have to pay a subscription to use instapaper on the TP; not cool if one doesn't utilize the service very much. A native app with one time purchase price to support the author would be great.

    The browser doesn't do bookmarklets, this just may be how it's going to be for webos, fine. But if ios can do it, I don't see why webos shouldn't add this to it's features as well.

    There is more that is documented in other threads, no need to repeat here. This isn't "nitpicking" as these are all little things that can add up to be a frustrating experience for some and make webos less appealing than it should be. I think you'll find that many of the really picky posts are from folks that just want the platform to succeed and they are disappointed it doesn't live up to that potential at this moment. I want to settle on a mobile platform and be done with it and I want it to be webos. However, practical considerations and limitations prevent that from happening, for the moment.

    It'll be a real damn shame If webos doesn't do well in HPs hands. If the TP is mainly a toy for you and mostly entertainment via web sites and some games, it excels and beats the rest. However, more "demanding" and productive tasks will have to remain on the giant app launcher known as ios until webos can catch up.
    KCTraveler and sorli like this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    While I appreciate and in some regards agree with your gushing comments of the TP. To say it just works, is a bit of an exaggeration.
    Are you suggesting that the members who have posted here are exaggerating their own experiences with the TouchPad? Their experiences may not be the same as your experiences, but they are no less valid.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    How did you do this without a patch?
    NAS access is done via BHome DLNA/UPnP software for webOS that happens to work natively with my ZyXEL NSA221 DLNA Media Server. No Patching necessary, since all of my media is stored in either MP3 (audio) or MP4 (video) natively supported by webOS. Actually, the only drawback with MP4 files is their large file size requirements and not having much compression as compared with DIVX and MKV video formats.

    Blue Star Software who wrote BHome has been fantastic, making changes, enhancing their software, and fixing bugs (Bluetooth was their latest update that I great appreciate).

    Hope this helps clarify things and let me know if you have any questions. Sorli...

    Update: oh I'm guess what you mean is how do I do all this without patching my TouchPad. My Touchpad cranked from day one with out any patches. It doesn't take much to play video, music, and browse the web when your system isn't slammed my Windows, Mac OS, Android or other Bloatware operating systems.

    WebOS has a native Linux underpinning, but I'll use it any day compared to other OS that have more legacy to deal with.
    Last edited by sorli; 08/11/2011 at 06:51 PM.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I can deal with all the software issues. I know they are working on fixes. I am as much of a Palm / webOS fan as anyone else out there, having been through many PalmOS devices and then a Pre Plus, paid $450 for my unlocked Pre2, and now paid $600 on launch day for my 32GB TouchPad.

    But the cracks on the casing are really ridiculous in my opinion. I exchanged my TouchPad yesterday and I am now scared to even put it in its case or take it anywhere because I dont want the new one to crack either.



    If someone made a replacement casing in aluminum I would pay $100 for it.
    Wow. To pay $600 for a device, then have cracks on it from normal use is not good. That's one of the reason why I don't buy things on launch & usually wait a couple months. Hopefully when I buy my TouchPad, I wont have to deal with hardware issues like this.
  16. #16  
    Yeah cracks aren't good. Luckily I don't have any on mine, and i've had it now since July 15th, so about a month. In fact, I had a 50 lbs bottle of water fall over on it. Still works, and screen protector took the punishment. Yikes. Just about crapped myself.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I haven't used a TP device yet (apart from messing around with one in Best Buy), but it seems the biggest drawback so far is just its functionality out of the box. It's not a great selling point to tell someone that the TP WILL work great once you download an update with a million bug fixes, install 50 homebrew patches, use several workarounds, etc. Many of the complaints I've read on here seem to be addressed with something along the lines of "there's a patch for that in preware" or "that's a well-known bug to be addressed in a future OTA". The average consumer just wants the thing to work right out of the box.
    It's no different then telling someone they need to jailbreak or root their device to change something. I'm pretty sure you apply all of the updates to your laptop/desktop that seem to come out every Tuesday from Microsoft or apply the updates numerous Linux or MacOS-X bug fixes. It is the nature of owning a device with an operating system. Let me know if you find a computing device that never needs an update or a tweak.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yeah cracks aren't good. Luckily I don't have any on mine, and i've had it now since July 15th, so about a month. In fact, I had a 50 lbs bottle of water fall over on it. Still works, and screen protector took the punishment. Yikes. Just about crapped myself.
    Plus the fact that HP will give you another one and deliver it to your doorstep literally the next day if yours cracks. They even include free postage to send the old one back.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    It's no different then telling someone they need to jailbreak or root their device to change something. I'm pretty sure you apply all of the updates to your laptop/desktop that seem to come out every Tuesday from Microsoft or apply the updates numerous Linux or MacOS-X bug fixes. It is the nature of owning a device with an operating system. Let me know if you find a computing device that never needs an update or a tweak.
    While I agree with your statement that we should keep our operating systems updated, it's not what the majority of the consumers do, at least not here in the US.

    I remember reading an article about how 50% of the iPhones brought to the Genius Bar have never even been synced.

    50% of iPhones Brought to Genius Bar Have Never Been Synced - Mac Rumors

    That's a plug/play affair if you have iTunes, and almost everybody has iTunes. So apparently a lot of people don't even bother to plug their phones into the computer ever. Nobody on this forum would do that kind of thing, but we are the overwhelming minority. Most of the customers would get the TouchPad, get really frustrated w/ the lag in the first 48hrs when it's syncing/indexing because they don't know it's doing that, and then return it and/or give up on it within the first week.

    Having the 3.0.2 update being OTA will help most people get it, but stuff like Preware is way over the top for most of the consumers here.
    viper151 and taptaptouch like this.
  20. #20  
    LOL if someone is buying an iPhone and never syncing it they bout it to *look* cool/hip/etc, or it was bought for them.

    Why else would you buy something based on the iPod and never put music on it...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions