Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree31Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    The point I was trying to make is a fault like this should have been picked up on during the development process. What makes it worse, is that the Palm Pre suffered from an almost identical problem - cracks stemming from cut out areas.
    Ok. However, there is a thread set up for you to make that point. This thread is not it.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...d-speaker.html

No one but HP knows if this is a fault with manufacturing or shipping. I don't think stuff like this would have showed up during the development process.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I used to think "***' when I had to download hundreds of megabytes of updates for a Linux distro I just installed that just came out a week before. I now get upset if I don't because I don't want to wait for the inevitable bug fixes to happen. I'd much rather get it over with at the beginning. Especially if an issue is discovered right after launch that needs to be fixed immediately. Also, what if you waited some time to buy your Touchpad. Don't you think you will be updating it after you turned it on? No company pushes an update to a device that has been sitting in a box on a retailer's shelf for weeks.

I don't code. I took a few required classes on coding and we spent weeks on trying to find bugs in our own programming. If I can't write a simple program without making a mistake I can't rightfully expect another human being to do the same. Especially one writing thousands of lines of code for a complex OS. It's not sloppy it's just a mistake.

I would like to see bug fixes more frequently like you see with Ubuntu and Windows.
    Explain/apologize for it any way you’d like.

WebOS 3 on the TP was released too prematurely. Just like Honeycomb was on the Xoom. …And they both were (rightfully) panned for the poor decision.

-Suntan
    No one but HP knows if this is a fault with manufacturing or shipping. I don't think stuff like this would have showed up during the development process.
    As a design engineer (in an unrelated field) I would have to say that if this didn’t show up in testing, then they didn’t do their job properly. Either way, there is no good excuse for this not being picked up.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    As a design engineer (in an unrelated field) I would have to say that if this didn’t show up in testing, then they didn’t do their job properly. Either way, there is no good excuse for this not being picked up.

-Suntan
    One piece breaking does not indicate a flawed manufacturing process. Have there been multiple reported instances of this cracking?
    Quote Originally Posted by gtalum View Post
    One piece breaking does not indicate a flawed manufacturing process. Have there been multiple reported instances of this cracking?
    My understanding is that cracks about the housing is a (relatively) common occurance. More than one.

Is this inaccurate?

Also, this may not be a flawed manufacturing process so much as a flawed housing design.

-Suntan
    Current wisdom is the cracks showed up in an early production run and that they replace them for users that develop cracks.

getting another from the same store would probably be from the same production run unless they have turned their entire stock a couple of times.

WebOS 3 on the TP was released too prematurely. Just like Honeycomb was on the Xoom. …And they both were (rightfully) panned for the poor decision.

-Suntan
    It's not an apology. It's a fact. No platform to date has made it to the consumer without bugs in it. Not a one. Human beings make mistakes. We should be applauding them for admitting the mistakes and fixing them. If you can design a mobile OS without bugs or the need for updates on the first try, go for it. I will definitely buy a device with your new OS installed.

-Suntan
    As a guy who made a living fixing the mistakes made by aircraft design engineers I believe the exact same thing. But then again, if you guys didn't screw up us mechanics would be out of a job.

Still waiting on someone to design a car, truck, airplane, computer, cell phone, house, ....... that won't break. Until then I expect there to people on call to fix those issues and I shouldn't have to pay for a design engineer's mistake.
    Once again we are discussing something that has been covered ad nauseam in another thread. I think that was by design. Can't have someone enjoying their webOS device without someone seemingly insecure about their own devices raining on the parade.
    As a guy who made a living fixing the mistakes made by aircraft design engineers I believe the exact same thing. But then again, if you guys didn't screw up us mechanics would be out of a job.

Still waiting on someone to design a car, truck, airplane, computer, cell phone, house, ....... that won't break. Until then I expect there to people on call to fix those issues and I shouldn't have to pay for a design engineer's mistake.
    Ah, the common mechanics jokes... I'll save you the jokes we make of you.

Few people grasp what it truely takes to make a design "fail-proof." There are failures that are cost prohibitive to design out. In any case, this one does not appear to be one of them.

-Suntan
    Ah, the common mechanics jokes... I'll save you the jokes we make of you.

Few people grasp what it truely takes to make a design "fail-proof." There are failures that are cost prohibitive to design out. In any case, this one does not appear to be one of them.

-Suntan
    Come on. You know the jokes are good-natured because deep down we will always need each other. You can't design something complex without a flaw and that's how I (used to) make my money. Plus, not too many people would buy you complex design if they didn't have me around to fix it.

I think it is pure arrogance for one designer to nonchalantly question the designs of others. Unless of course you've never made a design mistake. Doubtful....

Either way there is a thread for this problem and I have posted my two cents there. I suggest you do the same. You can also start a thread about how you would design a better Touchpad 2 or what you would like to see in the Touchpad 2's design. You would definitely get a lot of traffic that way. Until then let's let the OP bask in the glory of his/her beautifully (in the eye of the beholder) designed Touchpad.

-Suntan
    As one who was able to buy the "premature" version, I strongly disagree. I got a month's worth of use out of the device that I wouldn't have had they waited.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Please stay on topic, stop debating, and stop the comments About moderator actions.

<<thread cleaned>>
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234