Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73
Like Tree31Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL if someone is buying an iPhone and never syncing it they bout it to *look* cool/hip/etc, or it was bought for them.

    Why else would you buy something based on the iPod and never put music on it...
    Unfortunately that's the majority OldSkool.... (big name heh).
    I know a lot of people that they do not even download apps.. Apple is just for style I've read different researches about user-centric design that are focused on Apple and more or less say that although people do not know what the products do, companies like Apple have managed to charm users by the feel and look of the product making them think that it is the best.

    In my opinion yes Apple has managed to do this but they also have managed to position their products correctly. They have an easy to use and simple interface that people like and they advertise it. webOS is not advertised that much though and people do not know about it despite the fact that it might be simpler than iOS.
    If you have an android phone you'll notice that in the beginning you'll have at least 20 apps in an app launcher where the apps are not ranked nor alphabetically neither by importance. iOS has a simple app launcher with a few but essential apps. Yes android might do better but the design both software and sometimes hardware is awful and cheap. BTW I own htc desire for the time and I'm some sort of apple and once pre 3 is out , google hater too, but I can't admit that Apple is more successful is some areas.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Unfortunately that's the majority OldSkool.... (big name heh).
    I know a lot of people that they do not even download apps.. Apple is just for style I've read different researches about user-centric design that are focused on Apple and more or less say that although people do not know what the products do, companies like Apple have managed to charm users by the feel and look of the product making them think that it is the best.
    Agreed!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Plus the fact that HP will give you another one and deliver it to your doorstep literally the next day if yours cracks. They even include free postage to send the old one back.
    refurbished.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    It's no different then telling someone they need to jailbreak or root their device to change something. I'm pretty sure you apply all of the updates to your laptop/desktop that seem to come out every Tuesday from Microsoft or apply the updates numerous Linux or MacOS-X bug fixes. It is the nature of owning a device with an operating system. Let me know if you find a computing device that never needs an update or a tweak.
    You are equaling windows update to preware patching? windows update is fully automatic, user at most are required to click some okays, while preware patches, require substantial works and may invalid the warranty. I dont see how they can practically be the same.
  5. gtalum's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    While I appreciate and in some regards agree with your gushing comments of the TP.
    I wouldn't call my comments gushing. This is my first webOS device, so I am no mindless ******. I think the UI is innovative and superior to both iOS and Android. The tablet runs very smoothly after I OC'ed it. It will have trouble if they can't improve the immediate out-of-the-box performance, but it's primarily software issues so they can fix it.

    The Touchpad feels better in my hands than an iPad in my opinion, too. The webOS dev-mode and preware method is far superior to Apple jail-breaking and while not as flexible as full Android rooting it's far easier to accomplish.

    The jury is still out, but I'm impressed so far. A bigger app catalog will go a long way towards making this device perfect.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtalum View Post
    I wouldn't call my comments gushing. This is my first webOS device, so I am no mindless ******. I think the UI is innovative and superior to both iOS and Android. The tablet runs very smoothly after I OC'ed it. It will have trouble if they can't improve the immediate out-of-the-box performance, but it's primarily software issues so they can fix it.

    The Touchpad feels better in my hands than an iPad in my opinion, too. The webOS dev-mode and preware method is far superior to Apple jail-breaking and while not as flexible as full Android rooting it's far easier to accomplish.

    The jury is still out, but I'm impressed so far. A bigger app catalog will go a long way towards making this device perfect.
    Well, there are many long time webOS users here too, although we all agree there are software related performance issues, im not sure a software fix is anywhere near. OC is the best way to go, if speed is important right now.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL if someone is buying an iPhone and never syncing it they bout it to *look* cool/hip/etc, or it was bought for them.

    Why else would you buy something based on the iPod and never put music on it...
    No idea, but it gives you an idea of how clueless the general consumer is.

    Also, apparently over 1/3 of the iPhone owners polled think their iPhone 4 has 4G.

    34% Of iPhone Owners Think Their Phone Is 4G | TechCrunch
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    You are equaling windows update to preware patching? windows update is fully automatic, user at most are required to click some okays, while preware patches, require substantial works and may invalid the warranty. I dont see how they can practically be the same.
    Uh no. He's equating the "webOS OTA" updates to M$ patching. And with webOS it's better as the update will install itself after 5 days if the user doesn't install it.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    You are equaling windows update to preware patching? windows update is fully automatic, user at most are required to click some okays, while preware patches, require substantial works and may invalid the warranty. I dont see how they can practically be the same.
    This information is simply incorrect.

    "Substantial work" is pretty much exaggerated. Most of the patches are as simple as installing an app, once PreWare is installed.

    None of the patches invalidate the warranty. None. Any suggestion otherwise is patently incorrect.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Well, there are many long time webOS users here too, although we all agree there are software related performance issues, im not sure a software fix is anywhere near. OC is the best way to go, if speed is important right now.
    They have already done one software fix that improved performance. That was done literally one month after the device was released. Why would you think that others are not "anywhere near"?
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  11. #31  
    You think that fix can be compared with 1.7ghz OC?

    And you think speed boost from bug fix is linear with each update and without a limit?

    Really?

    I saw speed boost from 1.0 to 1.2 too, does that makes 1.4.5 fast enough? No, I had to OC it, and thats 2 years of progress from webOS.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    While I agree with your statement that we should keep our operating systems updated, it's not what the majority of the consumers do, at least not here in the US.
    ...
    Having the 3.0.2 update being OTA will help most people get it, but stuff like Preware is way over the top for most of the consumers here.
    It's worth noting that the 3.0.2 update will happen eventually, even if the customer ignores the prompts.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Wow. To pay $600 for a device, then have cracks on it from normal use is not good. That's one of the reason why I don't buy things on launch & usually wait a couple months. Hopefully when I buy my TouchPad, I wont have to deal with hardware issues like this.
    Uh, "normal use" he hit it against something and it cracked. Many 1000's of 3GS's we cracked around the headphone jack.

    Two people I know had their iPhone4 fall from their lap when getting from their car and be destroyed front AND back. Must be a low quality product...

    (P.s. I've dropped my Pre Classic from my waist too many times and the worst was the power button which I fixed. )
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    You think that fix can be compared with 1.7ghz OC?...
    I never said anything remotely like "the fix can be compared to a 1.7ghz OC".

    The statement made was
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Well, there are many long time webOS users here too, although we all agree there are software related performance issues, im not sure a software fix is anywhere near. OC is the best way to go, if speed is important right now.
    (my emphasis added).

    The fact is that HP has already done one OTA update to fix some of the software issues.

    The OC does not address a software issue, it overclocks the hardware.

    I wasn't debating whether or not OC was the best way to go (for some it is, others don't want to mess with it); I was simply pointing out that in spite of you not being sure a software fix was "anywhere near", they have in fact already done one, and there's no reason to believe they won't do more.

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    ...And you think speed boost from bug fix is linear with each update and without a limit?

    Really?...
    Again, please don't presume to speak for me. I don't think a bug fix is limited, as a matter of fact, I never mention a "bug fix". While the latest OTA did contain bug fixes, the performance improvements were not bug fixes (that I know of), but improvements on the OS, primarly in the way CSS is done.

    As to whether or not future OTA improvements are linear - of course they are. Every performance update is built upon the last one. It wouldn't be a performance update if it didn't improve upon the last one.

    As to whether or not such improvements are limited - without a doubt there's a limit. A little over a month into the OS, I don't think we've seen that limit though. As a matter of fact, I see little use made of the second core on the CPU. I think we've got a lot more coming.


    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I saw speed boost from 1.0 to 1.2 too, does that makes 1.4.5 fast enough? No, I had to OC it, and thats 2 years of progress from webOS.
    1.4.5 is for the phones. This is all about the TouchPad. Different operating systems, different issues, actually handled by a different company.

    Get a TouchPad, play with it. Get to know it. Then you can speak from actual experience, rather than theory.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Uh, "normal use" he hit it against something and it cracked. Many 1000's of 3GS's we cracked around the headphone jack.

    Two people I know had their iPhone4 fall from their lap when getting from their car and be destroyed front AND back. Must be a low quality product...

    (P.s. I've dropped my Pre Classic from my waist too many times and the worst was the power button which I fixed. )
    There is a "cracking thread" where many ppl said it cracked without any mishandling or drops.

    ps, I had to fix my pre's power button too, but I didn't drop it, it just suddenly stop working.
  16. #36  
    You don't need to ever plug the iPad (or iDevice) in to ITunes to get apps or music after initially setting up.
    Last edited by finngirl; 08/12/2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added "iPad"...Clarify what product I was talking about.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This information is simply incorrect.

    "Substantial work" is pretty much exaggerated. Most of the patches are as simple as installing an app, once PreWare is installed.

    None of the patches invalidate the warranty. None. Any suggestion otherwise is patently incorrect.
    You don't think installing preware itself require substantial work? Including installation of services on pc, reboot device, turn on dev mode?

    when installing customized kernel, you didnt read any warning of warranty may be voided?
  18. #38  
    Yeah, linear means same slope, obviously new update should be better than old one, but it won't be linear, improvement will likely hit a plateau, the fact that webOS largely relies on web tech, makes its performance substantially limited to the speed of those technologies, which are unlikely to be as fast as codes directly interacting with hardwares.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    when installing customized kernel, you didnt read any warning of warranty may be voided?
    Pretty sure patches weren't referring to kernels.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Pretty sure patches weren't referring to kernels.
    Huh, if its not catigorized as patches, what is it then?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions