Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is there any word on integration of the Windows Live Account with the Touchpad? This is killing me as I use the WL heavily. I want to access skydrive, photos, documents, contacts, calendar, etc. !

At the very least, the browser should be able to enable access, but it has issues. webOs technical chat session did not help...anyone with some luck??
    it's never been apart of webOS. Not officially.

There was a patch that allowed a lot of messaging applications for the pre, pre 2, but there hasn't been anything for the touchpad.

Someone had a way of getting to work by some modifications for the touchpad, but i'm not sure how reliable that was or is. You can see it here:

Using Windows Live Messenger in webOS (incl. Touchpad) futurepr0n
  3.    #3  
    thank you for the response. I hope HP fixes this soon...otherwise I will have to part with the TP and I really like it, but I need it for production and not just a great toy....

and so far a great toy it is still! Love it. Now give me the Windows Live services (not just messenger, but everything!).

Are there not any Live Mail users out there who have a solution? Please please??
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeVuPlay View Post
    I hope HP fixes this soon...otherwise I will have to part with the TP
    Why are so many people buying a product without looking into what it actually does first? At no point in time did HP ever mention Windows Live functionality. There are apps that can provide some of the services, but not natively on WebOS.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeVuPlay View Post
    I hope HP fixes this soon...
    Fixes what? There's no glitch, it was never meant to be available! You can't make unreasonable demands then return your touchpad just because HP aren't paying a team to meet your needs. I think you picked up your Touchpad just to look for a reason to return it. Either that or you had no idea what you were buying!
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Actually, he has a point. Windows Live/Msn/hotmail are very widely used outside the USA - so it's important for HP to add support for it.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    plus, HP and microsoft have a very good working relationship, we are using bing maps now too. why not add windowslive to synergy. its only better for the end user.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I too am a long time live.com user on Palm Pre+ (webOS 1.45), and now on Touchpad. What I've found so far:

If you want to use live.com (hotmail.com, msn.com, etc) "synergistically" (integrated into webOS contacts, calendar, and mail), you must manually specify the MS Exchange (EAS) protocol in your account setup and specify the server as "https://m.hotmail.com" ... I've had as many as 3 accounts syncing contacts, calendars, mail with the Palm (phone) contacts, calendar, etc... (3 accounts: personal/family, politics, work) ...key feature being the syncing of my wife's Pre+ calendar with mine via linked exchange/live calendars.

good: really neat "synergy" example via webOS calendar where events from all 4 live account calendars and 2 palm calendars (my phone and wife's phone) show color highlighted! ...great for keeping wife, work, family and political event schedules out of conflict!

bad: EAS (in webOS 1.45 & 3.0.2) presents mail in text format only ... You have to click on link in text formatted mail to launch the browser and view the HTML formatted mail. This is actually an advantage on the Pre+ where the screen size and browser speed means you'd rather triage your mail on the phone and view any "pretty" mail you'd care about on your PC. On the TP, it became a drag.

work around: in webOS you can setup the same live.com account twice: IMAP for mail, EAS for contacts, lookup and calendar! Then you have HTML formatted email AND calendar, contacts syncing!

HP: please upgrade EAS to new MS version supporting HTML mail!

In another post, I'll address live.com SkyDrive, Office and Messenger.

Note: us heavy live.com users should consider Office365 which supposedly works cleanly with the TP and adds more security and cloud-based features. I'm planning on giving it a try. If you really depend upon live.com (free) for something important, Office365 for less than $10 per account per month may well be worth it.
    ninjab#WN likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by greigb99 View Post
    Why are so many people buying a product without looking into what it actually does first? At no point in time did HP ever mention Windows Live functionality. There are apps that can provide some of the services, but not natively on WebOS.

Fixes what? There's no glitch, it was never meant to be available! You can't make unreasonable demands then return your touchpad just because HP aren't paying a team to meet your needs. I think you picked up your Touchpad just to look for a reason to return it. Either that or you had no idea what you were buying!
    thank you for the lecture...i learned alot. At any rate, this is what iwant on the touchpad. At least fix thebrowser to where i can go to the site
    greigb99 likes this.
    Don't let anti-MS folks get you down on the TP...
    Obviously, live.com (mail, etc) works with IE, Chrome,FireFox, etc. I've even verified the full desktop interface to hotmail works on my wife's Color Nook(!) ... Why not the HP TouchPad browser ???

Insane, isn't it?

The problem is local to some re-login scripting live.com uses. I've occasionally been able to login and use mail.live.com with no problem, but when I return later and the website uses some cookie trick to remember or recomfirm my login, after several attempts it gives up. I then can't get the hotmail.com to work again until time passes and my previous session has expired. This problem is unique to webOS 3.0 & 3.0.2 on the TouchPad. The hotmail.com/mail.live.com webmail works correctly (but too slow and small to use) on my Palm Pre+.

I've complained to HP and heard nothing. I've complained to MS and been reminded the service is supported only on FireFox, Chrome or IE browsers.

Since I've gotten it to work via webOS 'synergy' as per previous post, I'm willing to wait. I'm otherwise very happy with my TP, though they took way too long fielding the 3.0.2 upgrade.
    Live.com tries to integrate their video/phone/texting/gaming "MS messenger" service with hotmail webmail and weboffice/skydrive under the Live Messenger app.

It achieves little other than sharing login info and providing a crude link to facebook and other social networking junk ... err... websites.

Microsoft recently bought Skype which offers vastly better service and a huge user community, worldwide.

The TP very well integrates Skype with the phone dialer. I place voice calls regularly with it and it works fine.

WARNING: the TP microphone is a tiny, tiny hole on the edge of the frame close to the camera. In landscape mode, as you would have the TP turned if you are placing voice only calls via Skype (or Bluetooth paired cell phone) WHILE browsing the web, your hand naturally rubs the microphone hole creating all types of background noise for the person listening on the other end!

What MS is likely to do is effectively just migrate messenger users to Skype by adding Passport Login (as used in live.com and all other MS services) onto Skype, merging both user communities and discarding the existing Live Messenger software.

If so, the TP Skype will invisibly start working with messenger users.... as I expect to see soon with the integration of facebook chat with Skype.
    ninjab#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CWFlink View Post
    bad: EAS (in webOS 1.45 & 3.0.2) presents mail in text format only ... You have to click on link in text formatted mail to launch the browser and view the HTML formatted mail. This is actually an advantage on the Pre+ where the screen size and browser speed means you'd rather triage your mail on the phone and view any "pretty" mail you'd care about on your PC. On the TP, it became a drag.

work around: in webOS you can setup the same live.com account twice: IMAP for mail, EAS for contacts, lookup and calendar! Then you have HTML formatted email AND calendar, contacts syncing!

Note: us heavy live.com users should consider Office365 which supposedly works cleanly with the TP and adds more security and cloud-based features. I'm planning on giving it a try. If you really depend upon live.com (free) for something important, Office365 for less than $10 per account per month may well be worth it.
    The HTML issue is actually Microsoft's fault. They're using Exchange 2003 for hotmail which does not support HTML on mobile devices. iOS and Android clients implemented work arounds but the webOS client is actually implemented with the correct spec for that server type. There is a homebrewer attempting to implement a work around.

But really if you want it fixed the best thing to do would be to complain to Microsoft to update the Exchange server they are using for live/hotmail.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 08/11/2011 at 02:14 PM.
    I too am a long time live.com user on Palm Pre+ (webOS 1.45), and now on Touchpad. What I've found so far:

If you want to use live.com (hotmail.com, msn.com, etc) "synergistically" (integrated into webOS contacts, calendar, and mail), you must manually specify the MS Exchange (EAS) protocol in your account setup and specify the server as "https://m.hotmail.com" ... I've had as many as 3 accounts syncing contacts, calendars, mail with the Palm (phone) contacts, calendar, etc... (3 accounts: personal/family, politics, work) ...key feature being the syncing of my wife's Pre+ calendar with mine via linked exchange/live calendars.
    Been trying to make this change on my account in TP, and it keeps giving me an error on the Outgoing mail settings, "Unable to connect to Server". Anything I'm doing wrong?

Edit: NM I got it working... and thanks for this, I've been wondering how to get Live syncing for the longest time.
    Last edited by Bacstar; 08/11/2011 at 01:37 PM.

good: really neat "synergy" example via webOS calendar where events from all 4 live account calendars and 2 palm calendars (my phone and wife's phone) show color highlighted! ...great for keeping wife, work, family and political event schedules out of conflict!

thanks for that, didn't know hotmail could use eas. However, you said IMAP was also possible, I was under the impressive hotmail was only pop3 compatible and not IMAP compatible.

very interest to see how you got skydive and office working as well.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the responses. I have another question, but im not sure about all the mechanics of the services. I use windows live mail. However, my isp is roadrunner. I have a ton of contacts on the Windows Live Mail software(the one that comes with Live Essentiald) .On the live website, my roadrunner and hotmail accounts are linked, but there are no contacts under my hotmail menu.

Will the touchpad pull those contacts still if i manually enter the server?
    If your contacts are not located on the hotmail server then Synergy cannot pull them for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greigb99 View Post

If you don't make available one of the most widely used services in the world, you ain't serious about competing.
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    If you don't make available one of the most widely used services in the world, you ain't serious about competing.
    it's available, just not natively.
    I use windows live.

I had no expectation that it would work on the Touchpad could care less if it ever does. I will find a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    It's nice and all that people want to blame HP for all this but after trying different methods to attempt to interact properly with hotmail and live services it looks like the fault is actually more with Microsoft than with HP. They seem to actually seem to be preventing things from even trying to work because the browser string isn't one of their supported browsers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It's nice and all that people want to blame HP for all this but after trying different methods to attempt to interact properly with hotmail and live services it looks like the fault is actually more with Microsoft than with HP. They seem to actually seem to be preventing things from even trying to work because the browser string isn't one of their supported browsers.
    I'm guessing someone at HP has at least one contact at MS they could call to talk about the issue.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast