Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    Been playing with my new Touchpad for a few days now, generally speaking love it to death. The card metaphor is rockin' my world. Unlike other folks I've had no issues with pdfs, and I don't really care about fingerprints. However, one really big gripe I have is how picky the Touchpad is about which video formats it will play. I have all these downloaded videos of my favourite TV shows in .avi format (I know .avi is a container, but I'm not tech savvy enough to know exactly which codec the files really are...maybe Xvid?) and they will not play with conversion.

I thought the Touchpad is supposed to be an all-in-one media playground. Even my little cell phone (blackberry Torch) will play any of my .avi TV show video files without conversion or hassle. This mighty pad cannot do that? I have to painstakingly convert the files to mpeg4 with Handbrake? It works but it is a pain! And I don't feel like shelling out another $7 for that one app that plays all the video codecs (KalemSoft or something?). It should have come with the TP. Honestly I wish HP just made a deal with Microsoft and shipped TP with a version of Windows Media Player or something. This is bogus. I bet the videos would play on the Blackberry Playbook (although I don't actually know). I kinda hate apple so I would never buy an iPad but this is the only thing that makes me sorta wish I went with the Playbook. However, that said I enjoy the bigger screen and WebOs so I will endure it but this is an area of gripe for me.
    Well, people argue that touchpad is a business tablet.

Multimedia isn't outstanding, or even above average on touchpad. At least video player got some fix after 3.0.2.

Maybe try going through app catalog.
  3.    #3  
    Business!? Now someone tells me! Lol I bought this thing to be a toy.
    It isnt just for business...Its For Everybody. An All arounder thats supposed to be good at everything. Theirs A Player in the App store that plays a larger variety of Video formats. you should check it out. forgot what it was called..
    I think the point of the OP's question was lost. He is asking how could a spankin new high tech tablet like the Touchpad not have support for basic file formats out-of-the-box. Formats that we all know even older cell phones can view/play. Business people need to view/play these formats too so that is not the answer. Sadly the answer is not technical if thats what the OP thought. This is just one of the major shortcomming WebOS had when HP purchased it from Palm that HP didnt address.

Longtime Palm/WebOS diehard fans thought that HP would infuse their money into WebOS to tackle these software shortcomings but that has so far not happened. I agree that we shouldn't have to buy 3rd party apps like Kalemsoft to play files that should work. Think about all those demo TP's at your major retailers that potential customers are playing with and they go to a website and try to DL an avi file and it doesn't work. Then they try a few other tablets and it works for all of them.
    Last edited by DocFly; 08/11/2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Not sure about ipads but the latest Honeycomb devices are just as bad.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Not sure about ipads but the latest Honeycomb devices are just as bad.
    How so?
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I could be wrong, but I think that there might be licensing costs involved.
    strykr_ac likes this.
    Most tablets, iPads included only have support for a limited amount of codecs built in. I believe this has something to do with agreements with the movie contract providers. I just they want you to buy movies from their movie stores. You have to go with a third party app to support more formats. I had to do this on my iPod and my Android tablet. KalemSoft Media Player is great at playing multiple formats and is available in the HP App Catalog. I use it myself.
    Yeah, this seems to pretty much be the case with every PMP from a major manufacturer on the market. It isn't as noticeable with Apple products, because iTunes actually does a pretty great job (it pains me to say iTunes does anything well) transcoding files. The iPod Toch/iPhone used to support only 1 codec (I don't follow their products closely enough to know if that is still the case), vs. say the ZuneHD, which supported 3 (I know, a whole THREE formats), but the Zune software didn't transcode like iTunes, so it was easier for Apple users - even given that the devices supported even LESS codecs. Hopefully that HP play software is adapted to transcode files (it is based on Songbird, which does a great job of transcoding music - even though the process is significantly less than user friendly), or preferably, they add support for more codecs and containers down the road.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Well, people argue that touchpad is a business tablet.

Multimedia isn't outstanding, or even above average on touchpad. At least video player got some fix after 3.0.2.

Maybe try going through app catalog.
    How do you know the quality of the playback, have you got a TouchPad yet?
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  12.    #12  
    Well, I bit the bullet and paid $7 for the KalemSoft player, and now my TP plays everything just fine. The original point however stands, that I shouldn't have to have spent another $7 to bring the TP's functionality up to par. I don't know what the iPad supports, but I know the Blackberry Playbook supports way more codecs out of the box. I still love my TP but I think this is one of my bigger gripes.

I'm not a businessperson, I bought this tablet purely for entertainment and fun, e.g. play videos etc., so it was a little disappointing that it could not do this out of the box.
    I think the answer lies in the technical field:

likely, the touchpad's (and pre's and ipads) GPU and DSP support hardware decoding of limited number of formats, probably H263 and 264, if HP were to support others, like divx, battery life would suffer.

I could be wrong, though, as my knowledge in all this hw decoding stuff is not advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think you're misreading his post. He didn't mention anything about the quality of video playback. He simply said the video player app was made better with the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Most tablets, iPads included only have support for a limited amount of codecs built in. I believe this has something to do with agreements with the movie contract providers. I just they want you to buy movies from their movie stores. You have to go with a third party app to support more formats. I had to do this on my iPod and my Android tablet. KalemSoft Media Player is great at playing multiple formats and is available in the HP App Catalog. I use it myself.
    This is the real reason why most tablets and phones have very limited support of codecs. It's all about the movie/tv industry - there wouldn't be a HP Movie Store if the Touchpad supported codec/containers like MKV, Xvid, etc that are all used primarily for pirated videos (or ripping legally owned movies).
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    1. i didnt say anything about playback quality. Although i did see the worst management, transfer, recognization on any device. Its good they fixed some in the update, but default player simple won't cut it for video addict.

2. i had one for two weeks then returned it. this is 2nd time i inform you this information.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
    This is the real reason why most tablets and phones have very limited support of codecs. It's all about the movie/tv industry - there wouldn't be a HP Movie Store if the Touchpad supported codec/containers like MKV, Xvid, etc that are all used primarily for pirated videos (or ripping legally owned movies).
    It's this - they (and all the platforms are the same) want to flog you stuff, they don't want you to be able to simply use your own free content. Oddly, I see more and more Bluray players being released that support MKV and Xvid straight out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1. i didnt say anything about playback quality. Although i did see the worst management, transfer, recognization on any device. Its good they fixed some in the update, but default player simple won't cut it for video addict.

2. i had one for two weeks then returned it. this is 2nd time i inform you this information.
    Yes, you returned it conveniently before the KalemSoft Media Player came out. Others have mentioned the player to you yet you seem to overlook that when you post your responses to others about multimedia support on the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    Well, I bit the bullet and paid $7 for the KalemSoft player, and now my TP plays everything just fine. The original point however stands, that I shouldn't have to have spent another $7 to bring the TP's functionality up to par. I don't know what the iPad supports, but I know the Blackberry Playbook supports way more codecs out of the box. I still love my TP but I think this is one of my bigger gripes.

I'm not a businessperson, I bought this tablet purely for entertainment and fun, e.g. play videos etc., so it was a little disappointing that it could not do this out of the box.
    I understand your gripe, believe me. However, the IPad is the same and so are most Android tablets. Nice to see RIM adding a full range of multimedia support with the Playbook. I'll still pay the $7 and keep the Touchpad though.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Yes, you returned it conveniently before the KalemSoft Media Player came out. Others have mentioned the player to you yet you seem to overlook that when you post your responses to others about multimedia support on the Touchpad.
    Im flattered you actually think I know when some app will appear, even though I know I returned it because bestbuy only has 2 weeks window.

Ps, I did suggest op to look through app catalog, you may have missed that. And this thread is indeed about native support, I think you missed that too.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast