Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I'm ok with being known as a "low level worker"
    HardbeatZ -- as the only HP employee that I know of who is regularly interacting in our forums and responding to our bugs and feature requests, you will never be a "low level worker" to me.

Thanks for all your hard work here.
    hparsons likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Low level workers have no insight into business models and licensing issues. The people high enough to have insights to these things aren't going to post on internet forums.

You are not going to have an ac3 codec on a tablet unless you pay licensing fees to Dolby.
    er Richard Kerris has posted several times in these "internet forums", do a search
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/13/2011 at 09:15 PM.
    hparsons likes this.
    Low level workers have no insight into business models and licensing issues. The people high enough to have insights to these things aren't going to post on internet forums.

You are not going to have an ac3 codec on a tablet unless you pay licensing fees to Dolby.
    I submit that you have absolutely 0 knowledge of what he does or doesn't know, unless he's told you.

But even if you're correct, that would support my stand that he can't answer for RIM.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I wasn't trying to demean him, but his signature said he is tech support. Tech support people don't sit in meetings where business decisions are made.

Dolby already got Dolby Digital (aka ac3 codec) into the DVD format specification --- they ain't going to care whether Hollywood studios might be mad at them for licensing the codec to tablet makers.

What's Hollywood studios going to do? Hollywood studios going to blacklist HP so that Netflix can't deal with HP? Netflix ain't going to care whether Hollywood is mad at HP either --- as long as HP can pass DRM certification that Hollywood studios demanded.
    I wasn't trying to demean him, but his signature said he is tech support. Tech support people don't sit in meetings where business decisions are made.
    Sometimes they do; but even beyond that, business decisions are quite often relayed to the rest of the staff.
    I didn't take anything by it so don't worry about it..and tech support is the only role that I play that I'm willing to share with the rest of the world...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sometimes they do; but even beyond that, business decisions are quite often relayed to the rest of the staff.
    To the line worker engineers maybe, not to tech support staff. For a small company like Palm maybe, not to the giant HP.

If you want a ac3 codec, you have to deal with Dolby. Hollywood doesn't get into the discussion at all. If you want Netflix, you have to deal with Netflix --- again Hollywood doesn't get into the discussion at all. Netflix signed multi-year deals with Hollywood studios, and as long as HP can satisfy the DRM requirement as specified within that content deal --- then Hollywood studios can't do a thing about it.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I am enjoying this dicussion. samab makes good points.
    To the line worker engineers maybe, not to tech support staff. For a small company like Palm maybe, not to the giant HP...
    And yet he is an employee, of HP, and was informed.

res ipsa loquitur
    I have an iPad, and I have 4 different players which includes the stock iPad player in order to cover all my video needs. (VLC, CineXPlayer, AirVideo, stock). Not sure if they are still available because i think one or two of them were pulled due to licensing or some other Apple App violation. However, I still have major headaches trying to get media files to play reliably. The only one is Air Video, and that's only at home when I can rely on my desktop to transcode on the fly.

With the TouchPad, I only need 2. So, in that respect, I have nothing to complain about.
    what would be nice is if webOS supported a system like the old amiga Datatypes system which were the input/output handlers that all programs had access to as file operations just went through the main datatypes library, more datatype handlers for different codecs/etc and your old programs still had support for new codecs without a program update.

If webos had something like that then HP could easily get away with supporting the basics, anyone else could simply add to the datatypes collection giving support.

Its a dream, but would be nice and solve a lot of issues.

Some datatypes spiel : Amiga support and maintenance software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Anyone can add codecs, they just have to develop in very specific hardwares AND pay respective patent groups for the licensing fees. Otherwise, you are going to get sub-optimal performance and getting sued for licensing fees.

We are talking programming codecs in DSP hardware in some of these mobile chipsets (like the DSP's within TI's OMAP4 chip).
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234