Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Cat fight!

As one person said, the hardware decoder only supports a few formats. Cost, and perhaps the evil movie industry, are partly to blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1. i didnt say anything about playback quality. Although i did see the worst management, transfer, recognization on any device. Its good they fixed some in the update, but default player simple won't cut it for video addict.
    I guess the statement "Multimedia isn't outstanding, or even above average on touchpad." was a little hard to understand then. Still not sure what you mean. I dont' have any problem with transferring files, or recognition of those files. Can you elbaorate?

2. i had one for two weeks then returned it. this is 2nd time i inform you this information.
    Guess I missed that. The posts you put up certainly don't sound like they're coming from someone actually using the device.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    avi and mkv are notoriously pirated formats..personally I wouldn't expect to see either one of these formats supported on the device out of the box.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Ps, I did suggest op to look through app catalog, you may have missed that. And this thread is indeed about native support, I think you missed that too.
    But aren't most OS's lacking in "native support" for many playback formats? Even with Windows, I've had to download different codecs for different formats.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    But aren't most OS's lacking in "native support" for many playback formats? Even with Windows, I've had to download different codecs for different formats.
    im pretty sure windows 7 grab it all by itself when you first use it to play a unsupported format, users don't need to search for codecs.
    You have to look at it from the point of view of the folks that are designing the features sometimes too.

The use case for getting movies on your device from a company like HP is never going to be "download from bittorrent site, load onto touchpad, watch." You'd anger quite alot of industry people supporting that out-of-box...especially when you have a market solution like HP Movie Store that supports the studios. Why spend engineering time and resources on a use-case that you can't openly endorse?

As far as how the touchpad currently works, it supports likely scenarios for people loading movies...ripping with something like Handbrake (bugs aside ) and direct loading onto the device.

I certainly don't mind paying $7 so I can play all of my 'backups' and mkvs. Hell, that $7 is going towards features beyond playback of additional codecs, so you we really shouldn't have anything to complain about...with all the streaming features, etc., Kalemsoft is a tremendously worthwhile purchase.
    Last edited by d503; 08/12/2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Weaser999 and MobileBill23 like this.
    $7 is likely one of the most expensive apps I have seen. Not a lot, but still a lunch worth.

Maybe brings on some competition and see price drop...
    im pretty sure windows 7 grab it all by itself when you first use it to play a unsupported format, users don't need to search for codecs.
    In some cases yes, in others no. From Microsoft's website (my emphasis added):

There are hundreds of audio and video codecs in use today. Some have been created by Microsoft, but the vast majority of codecs have been created by other companies, organizations, or individuals. By default, the Windows operating system and the Player include a number of the most popular codecs, such as Windows Media Audio, Windows Media Video, and MP3.

There might be times, however, when you want to play content that was compressed with a codec that Windows or the Player doesn't include by default. In many cases, you can download the necessary codec from the web for free or for a fee. And, in some cases, the Player can automatically use the codecs installed by other digital media playback and creation programs on your computer.
    My point was, (and is) that these codecs are not native. Windows has a much larger audience, and thus has a larger collection. Many (probably even most) of those are free, but they've been developed, and refined, for years. The TouchPad is new, it's not surprising that the level of third party support is still small.
    $7 is likely one of the most expensive apps I have seen. Not a lot, but still a lunch worth.

7 dollars may be expensive (but it's really not), but demand and competition is what drives prices. Even with that if an app does a lot of different things and provides a lot of different support than it's really not that big of a deal.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    avi and mkv are notoriously pirated formats..personally I wouldn't expect to see either one of these formats supported on the device out of the box.
    OK, but what of some audio codecs, like Vorbis and Flac? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $those$ $still$ $aren$'$t$ $supported$ $by$ $webOS$ $3$.
    HP doesn't support popular pirated formats because they are pushing a movie store.

Studios won't cooperate with HP to put more movies in their store if the touchpad plays stuff like xvid/mkv natively. Microsoft with their Xbox and Zune is the same story. That's why Xbox doesn't play mkv.

If/when iPads and Android tablets start playing all those formats out of the box, HP might reconsider. That's what it took for Xbox to support xvid, the PS3 did.
    $7 for kalemsoft, whoopie, use your $50 coupon. Even the ipad2 doesn't support xvid/dvix natively.

The way I look at it, 7 bucks is about 2 good cups of coffee. Not bad for remote streaming and playing most formats. You can't even get a magazine for 7 bucks.

One crappy Mc D's lunch here is closer to 10 bucks and you get the added benefit of feeling sick after. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    OK, but what of some audio codecs, like Vorbis and Flac? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $those$ $still$ $aren$'$t$ $supported$ $by$ $webOS$ $3$.
    Probably not added as hardly anyone uses those for music.
    The whole argument not to support certain codecs, simply because they are used a lot for piracy, is rather short sighted. Because, those who have the knowledge of how and where and the inclination to pirate, will find a way. Specially since 3rd party apps will ultimately provide the support for these codecs. The only people who suffer due to lack of native codec support, are the vast majority of legal users. Also, will someone please explain the lack of support for even WMA on the TouchPad. It's not notorious for being used in piracy too, is it?

The lack of native support for a codec can never be truly made up for by any app. Since, a lot of apps use only the native codec support of the OS. Case in point, 'UPnP AV Player' and 'BHome Pro'. I personally have a lot of my music ripped in lossless WMA and unfortunately all of it is useless on the TouchPad. No, 3rd party players don't help because I can't store my one terabyte collection on the TouchPad and therefore need to access it only via a DLNA client.

At the very least, webOS must add native support for WMA, MPEG-2, VC-1/WMV and AVCHD

PS: AVCHD is today the most commonly used codec by the home video camera industry. It's a shame that I cannot play any of my own home videos on the TouchPad.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/12/2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Because people won't add support for them, and instead continue paying to support the inferior mp3 format.
    shanelord likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Then they should drop all, marketing for beats.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Im flattered you actually think I know when some app will appear, even though I know I returned it because bestbuy only has 2 weeks window.

Ps, I did suggest op to look through app catalog, you may have missed that. And this thread is indeed about native support, I think you missed that too.
    In one of the other threads you said you returned it because of multimedia support, which is what this thread is about. KalemSoft Media Player was advertised in the Touchpad app forum, by my estimates on your previous comments, a week before you returned your Touchpad. You seem to be all of the forums just like I am so I don't understand how you missed that.

I agree with the OP that ALL tablets should have better codec support out of the box. However, I know that tablet makers have to deal with a very unreasonable and greedy entertainment industry. So if you want to buy digital movies or music for your tablet this is what you are stuck with. At least you are allowed to download apps that play different codecs after the fact. The entertainment industry could have demanded that you not be allowed to do that.
    I used my 50 dollar HP app coupon and got KalemSoft app! If a video "addict" won't pay 7 bucks for the added functionality that this app gives you then there is no hope for them.
    $7.00 for app, paid $560.00 for TP so for $567.00 I have the video codecs I need.

I could whine about the other things it can't do natively that i'd like but I figure myself or someone else will come up with an app for it.
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I agree with the OP that ALL tablets should have better codec support out of the box. However, I know that tablet makers have to deal with a very unreasonable and greedy entertainment industry. So if you want to buy digital movies or music for your tablet this is what you are stuck with. At least you are allowed to download apps that play different codecs after the fact. The entertainment industry could have demanded that you not be allowed to do that.
    People do love their conspiracy theories. It has nothing to do with Hollywood.

The lack of better codec support has to do with:
    (a) hardware acceleration/power life requirement with chipsets.
    (b) tablet makers don't want to pay that extra 25 cents in licensing fee.

Say you have a TI OMAP4-based RIM Playbook. There are 3 different ways to implement a video codec in 3 different silicons. You can write a codec to run on the ARM CPU. You can write a codec to run on the PowerVR SGX540 GPU. You can write a codec to run on the TI DSP that is also inside the OMAP4.

You can pay Imagination Technologies (the company that makes the PowerVR GPU) for a video codec. You can pay TI for a DSP video codec. You can pay somebody else for a video codec that runs on a generic ARM chip. Or you can write your own codec.

The price of those already made solution includes paying patent licensing fee to --- Microsoft for WMV. Or you can write you own codec and negotiate the patent licensing fee with Microsoft yourself (and that depends on how much you have your own video patents).
    Bo likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast