Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi i am new to the whole WebOS thing.

I have a touchpad and I was wondering what exactly Preware is? And can it harm the touchpad?

Thanks!
    rot likes this.
    Take a look at the Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the App Catalog.
    vasekvi likes this.
    Plenty to read about Preware. Personally, I wouldn't do without it.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2442795

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/13/2011 at 08:25 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Also I heard if you have preware on the touchpad that you can download apps for free. Is that true?
    Can't say I know how about that, nor would these forums be the place to ask, really. People here prefer to support those devs who have nicely given our small corner of the smartphone world any attention.

But are plenty of free homebrew patches and utilities to be found in Preware (none you specifically have to pay for, in fact). You'll have a good time with those.
    Tatobest likes this.
    I will say that you should have no worries. I was hesitant at first also, since my Touchpad is my very first webOS device, and one of my heftiest "want" purchases. I followed the instructions I found online, double checking every step and simply hoping that nothing evil would happen. I was very afraid throughout. It turns out that it's as simple as installing an app from your computer. Even if that isn't as easy as using the device, your computer does most of the things. The part of the Touchpad is to get a file and run it.
    vasekvi likes this.
    As stated earlier, I would highly recommend you download the Preware Documentation App in the catalog. Installing Preware is benign, it's what you can do with it that can be dangerous. For the most part, as long as you don't add any testing feeds you will be perfectly fine. So far, there shouldn't be a way to brick your TP no matter what you do with Preware. You will see many references to The Doctor, and that is saving grace of anything you might do wrong.

Get your feet a little wet, you won't regret it.
    vasekvi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post

I have a touchpad and I was wondering what exactly Preware is? And can it harm the touchpad?

Thanks!
    Preware is your portal to the world of 'homebrew' and the only 'harm' you can do to the Touchpad with 'Preware', is not to install it. In short you have not experienced the real strengths of webOS, until you install 'Preware'. If it were not for 'Preware', might I dare to state, that the majority of us would probably have given up on webOS a long time ago. The best $0.99 you will spend in the 'app catalog' is on the 'Hombrew documentation'. Buy it and read up on it.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Hi kyleoXD,
    Preware will not harm webOS or your TouchPad. It can only help, by expanding the options for your device. I've been using a webOS phone since late 2009, and I also have a TouchPad now. I've installed Preware on all my webOS devices. Unlike Apple (who strictly controls their apps and frowns upon "jailbreaking"), Palm and now HP have embraced outside developers -- the "homebrew" community (though HP has added some restrictions recently).

See:
    How to Use Preware for Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net , and
    Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    (these apply to the TouchPad as well as to phones)

Preware USED to be a one-stop shop for all apps -- free, paid, "official", and homebrew. Recently, they've been limited to only homebrew apps. In addition to apps, Preware also opens up your device to "themes" and "patches".
    Themes change the look of your device (icons, backgrounds, etc.). I stay away from the themes though, because they can interfere with OS updates (which will likely be coming regularly for the TouchPad).
    Patches, on the other hand, do not interfere with OS updates (search for "AUPT"), and they add a bunch of additional functionality to the OS itself and the built-in apps (things like email, web, calendar, and the launcher). For the TouchPad, note that you don't have to worry about installing patches meant for phones by mistake. Once you put Preware on the TouchPad, it will only show apps and patches that are designed for it.

See:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post1944821

As others have said, if you can part with the 99 cents, get the Preware Documentation app in the TouchPad app catalog (it is WELL worth it!). However, the links above should be enough to get you started.

-carldc
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  10.    #10  
    Thanks EVERYONE!

I will be downloading the Preware then when I get home!

Is there a link of directions I can follow?
    Last edited by kyleoXD; 01/01/2015 at 04:21 PM.
    Thanks EVERYONE!

I will be downloading the Preware then when I get home! I can't wait to get all these apps for free because some of the apps are expensive.

Is there a link of directions I can follow?
    I think you may have misunderstood about the free apps. Preware is a portal to homebrew apps which are free apps. It will not allow you to download paid apps for free. At PreCentral, we support the work of the developers of both free and paid apps. You will not find anything on PreCentral that will allow you to download paid apps for free.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I can't wait to get all these apps for free because some of the apps are expensive.
    It's called Preware not Pirateware... lol
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    It gives you the rope you need. You can either use it with your Touchpad to conquer distant lands... or trip yourself up. HP does not support the homebrew patches that you can install from Preware. You will have to come to the community for support first if you suspect something is wrong with a patch. People here are very nice about that especially the developers who create them.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    People here are very nice about that especially the developers who create them.
    Unless you are trying to use it all to pirate.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  15.    #15  
    Ohs I get it. My bad guys.

I didn't understand it. My friend was telling me. Obviously he was wrong. LOLS

THanks though for everything! Preware works great!

Thanks!
    The one thing that will possibly be harmed is your sleep habits... So many docs, apps, patches, tweaks to research and get up to speed on... find yourself a comfy pillow!
    ........JC.........

<thread cleaned>
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    <thread cleaned>
    Thanks!
    Here's my 2-cents.

1) Definitely buy the 99-cent Preware documentation from the regular HP app catalog. Will tell you everything you need to know.

2) Definitely install Preware. This will give you access to a lot of good homebrew apps, many of which are "pre-release/beta" before they go to the App Catalog.

3) If you want to stay as "safe" as possible, just use Preware to load the homebrew apps. If you stay away from Patches/Themes, then doing OS upgrades will be NO problem. If you do patches, then you have to do a few more steps whenever the webOS version updates happen. I'm not sure about Themes because I don't do Themes.

Many of my favorite apps are from the Preware/homebrew community.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericblackdv View Post
    Here's my 2-cents.

1) Definitely buy the 99-cent Preware documentation from the regular HP app catalog. Will tell you everything you need to know.

2) Definitely install Preware. This will give you access to a lot of good homebrew apps, many of which are "pre-release/beta" before they go to the App Catalog.

3) If you want to stay as "safe" as possible, just use Preware to load the homebrew apps. If you stay away from Patches/Themes, then doing OS upgrades will be NO problem. If you do patches, then you have to do a few more steps whenever the webOS version updates happen. I'm not sure about Themes because I don't do Themes.

Many of my favorite apps are from the Preware/homebrew community.
    Themes should be removed before any update, but I think your information may be a little out of date regarding patches. Most patches will go through an update just fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast