Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    <staff edit>
    Source: Message from Stephan DiFranco

So the HP Touchpad price is being lowered by $100 permanently now because of booming sales during the weekend sale. Is this a response to poor sales or was this HP's strategy all along?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/10/2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: linking to competing site

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I think that HP didn't know what the market price for their device should be when it launched. They want to compete with the iPad, so they set the price the same. I suspect that the plan all along wasn't to necessarily launch at one price and then later lower it by $100, but moreso to gauge market interest, and play with the price a bit. Price is determined by supply and demand, they knew the supply, but what they didn't know was what the demand for the product would be. The only way to find out is to play with the price a bit to try to find equilibrium.

It also allows for a bit of price discrimination. Those of us who were willing to pay more, did pay more.
    Last edited by reggieb; 08/10/2011 at 07:09 PM.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Rnp, leadtrumpetdave and DD007 like this.
    I don't know, but I say it's good news and HP will definitely sell more units at this price point. I also think that they may have lowered the price because they are getting ready to release the 4g TouchPad.
  4.    #4  
    It feels like a touch of price discrimination, but I saw someone mention in the past that this was HP's strategy all along. Just like with their computers and other products, they have their retail price but rely on "discounts" and promotions to make the consumer feel like they are getting a deal.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    I think it's a good thing too. Look at Android tablets: The Asus Transformer is one of the best selling Android tablets. Why? 399.00. That's why I got it. Not for the features. All Android tablets run Honeycomb, so the biggest the determining factor for me was price. I thought about getting the TP before the weekend price drop because I wanted something that didn't crash all day and was a little more stable.
    I really doubt this was 'HP's strategy' all along. Basically HP wanted to try and sell at the premium. They all do. The people through demand ultimately decide what is fair value.

I think people should think about it when Apple announced iPad pricing, that the industry was pretty surprised/shocked. I think they were expecting under $1k tablet so the current iPad pricing was such a killer for competition.

If true (edit: I see the article now.)... it's good for HP.
    It will generate more sales. imo, and i have said it from the begining, they should have lowered $100 and sell the heck out of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    It feels like a touch of price discrimination, but I saw someone mention in the past that this was HP's strategy all along. Just like with their computers and other products, they have their retail price but rely on "discounts" and promotions to make the consumer feel like they are getting a deal.
    Last edited by donm527; 08/10/2011 at 01:49 PM.
    rnolan1087 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I really doubt this was 'HP's strategy' all along. Basically HP wanted to try and sell at the premium. They all do. The people through demand ultimately decide what is fair value.

I think people should think about it when Apple announced iPad pricing, that the industry was pretty surprised/shocked. I think they were expecting under $1k tablet so the current iPad pricing was such a killer for competition.
    Well the issue with that is they were looking at it and pricing it out based on a PC tablets. They didn't really consider the idea of using smartphone components in a larger frame and how much less that would cost to make than what PC tablets were costing.
    It's just economic strategy in general. You release at a higher price, to capture the enthusiast/early adopter segment that'll buy your product no matter what. Then soon after drop the price to capture the larger market that's only interested if it's cheaper than the iPad.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Worked for me. I just purchased and am looking forward to taking this on vacation tomorrow. Just sorry I missed the $200 off at staples yesterday.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Amazon was selling for this price anyway since the weekend (actually 398/498 right now). Do you think we may see further discounts from Amazon in light of this news.
    yep.

Quote Originally Posted by wfleish View Post
    Amazon was selling for this price anyway since the weekend (actually 398/498 right now). Do you think we may see further discounts from Amazon in light of this news.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    What about the people who purchased it first for full price(me)? They better make that $50 dollar rebate for the 32gb $100 instead!
    rnolan1087 likes this.
    I predict the forums and front page will soon be unbearable with whining and complaining about this price drop.

I paid what I paid, no complaints from me. I knew exactly what I was doing as an educated consumer. Plus I woulda missed out on my $50 rebate and $50 app cat credit had I waited. So I pay the same as the guy buying today (well actually still less with my bundle), and have been using my TP for coming up on a month.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    cawhalen likes this.
    Any news about uk stores?
    I still see amazon.co.uk has it listed for 399GBP
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I am glad, it will draw more people in.

I am enjoying my 400$ 32gig Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I predict the forums and front page will soon be unbearable with whining and complaining about this price drop.
    I say we just start reporting them as spammers instead of replying to them.
    leadtrumpetdave likes this.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Good for consumers, good for adoption, good for possibility of drawing developers into the ecosystem.

Bad for quality of profits and maybe problematic for Leo's overall strategy of trying to increase margins at HP. However that is his problem and not users.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Actually now I think about it - are they repositioning this as the "minor" device because of the 4g device that popped up on amazon the other day? So the new price reflects that?

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    If only they lowered the price a few weeks sooner. I was shopping around for new tablet to replace my iPad1. I wasn't about to buy the iPad 2 for the relatively minor improvements, and their legal shenanigans with competitors...don't get me started. I wanted the Touchpad, but changed my mind after seeing the new Galaxy Tab, especially at the same price point.

After spending a couple weeks with Honeycomb simply, it just didn't sit well with me, even after the Touchwiz update. The sale gave me a reason to try the TP, and glad I did. Extremely happy user at the moment. I still worry in the back of my mind though that HP has an uphill battle, and they'll give up before giving WebOS a decent shot at succeeding.
    I'm wondering about that myself. The FCC tags make it looks like they might be adding two more WiFi versions that have GPS and 1.5GHz processors in them. But then again I'm not entirely sure what all the short hand is for that FCC label. Maybe it's something completely different.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast