Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I'm wondering about that myself. The FCC tags make it looks like they might be adding two more WiFi versions that have GPS and 1.5GHz processors in them. But then again I'm not entirely sure what all the short hand is for that FCC label. Maybe it's something completely different.
    Engadget has a story about a 4G touchpad for AT& T today, so the timing is right.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    IMHO HP needs to move a LOT of people around. TP has NOT been positioned correctly, all the mistakes that Palm made were repeated with Touchpad launch.

Exhibition mode and wireless charging were big differentiators and HP squandered the opportunity to showcase them and also make money. I see $499 for 16 GB as a fair price IF they included touchstone charger and the cover with it. This would have allowed them to showcase all advantages of Touchpad and gotten people hooked on touchstone. How many people have bought just one Touchstone charger?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    This was the first thing that HP did this year that I'm 100% behind wrt WebOS device strategy.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    IMHO HP needs to move a LOT of people around. TP has NOT been positioned correctly, all the mistakes that Palm made were repeated with Touchpad launch.

Exhibition mode and wireless charging were big differentiators and HP squandered the opportunity to showcase them and also make money. I see $499 for 16 GB as a fair price IF they included touchstone charger and the cover with it. This would have allowed them to showcase all advantages of Touchpad and gotten people hooked on touchstone. How many people have bought just one Touchstone charger?
    Just made me think about when I bought my TP. I got the 32gb version for $499 at Best Buy, but they were offering the Touchstone charger and case as a package deal at $100 which brought my total to $599.00. It made me laugh when he rang it up because I ended at the same price the TP was originally at plus a couple accessories.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
    What about the people who purchased it first for full price(me)? They better make that $50 dollar rebate for the 32gb $100 instead!
    The cost of being an early adopter...
    cawhalen likes this.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    What about the people who purchased it first for full price(me)? They better make that $50 dollar rebate for the 32gb $100 instead!
    HP has made up for that by offering an additional $50 credit in the app store for those that purchased in July. I wouldn't count or expect that HP do any more.

Depending on when/where you got it, you should take your receipt and get a price adjustment. I bought my Touchpad day 1 from Best Buy. Fortunately for me, I am a Premier Silver points member and have a 45 day window for returns/price adjustments. I took my receipt in today and got a $100 credit.

Was it disappointing to see the price drop? Yes. Thankfully, it worked out for me. But I was happy paying the original price at the time I purchased. Otherwise I wouldn't have purchased.
    I am glad for so many "newly found" argument for the lower price, just wish it was there before.

Its good, period, I don't think its a strategy from start, that would imply HP was intentionally screwing users. I think its a reflection of poor marketing research of HP. They couldn't assess the market properly and couldn't move the product as expected since release.

I hope they learn from it, and price Opal properly from the start! They really don't want to establish a reputation of "do not buy it at launch".
    Last edited by clevin; 08/10/2011 at 07:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    <staff edit>
    Source: Message from Stephan DiFranco

So the HP Touchpad price is being lowered by $100 permanently now because of booming sales during the weekend sale. Is this a response to poor sales or was this HP's strategy all along?

Thoughts?
    They were trying to compete at the same price points but without a similar quantity of apps and they lack the word of mouth and cache that the Ipad2 has and can not compete in the general marketplace.

What HP needs now is market penetration and a decrease in price enables this. Once the increase their market share and app/feature offerings, they can introduce a 2nd gen product at a higher price point.
    I used to believe in HP
    Rnp likes this.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sj4231 View Post

What HP needs now is market penetration and a decrease in price enables this. Once the increase their market share and app/feature offerings, they can introduce a 2nd gen product at a higher price point.
    In Oz (and I'm guessing other markets), this lower price is going be the launch price so that will then become the celling for the devices there (of a similar specification).

The next generation product will be interesting - everyone was caught flat-footed by the Ipad pricing (PC makers were expecting it to be $200 more at launch) and the ability of Apple to tie-up the supply chain. Having to match or beat that price has hit margins in what was intended to be a premium marketplace, reducing the price by so much so quickly equally so*. So if I have to wonder if in the next round, the way HP and others try to get margin back is by cutting components costs (and maybe quality)?

* Yes HP always does discounting but that's in markets (PCs, Printers) subject to commodification nobody enters a high growth premium market with an intended strategy of discounting. Leo certainly wasn't saying that back before the summer.
    CGK, companies like HP and Microsoft enter premium markets and drive down prices because the have the resources to do so. HP knows that the true value in the mobile market is not the hardware, it's the software (apps). HP can offer the hardware at a discount because they get revenue from the software. I bought close to $75 in apps so far for my Touchpad. HP gets a cut from that. As long as I own my Touchpad and continue to buy apps, HP will have a revenue stream from me. Apps also have very low overhead. Apple makes more money from their app store than they do from the sale of the hardware. If HP can get developers behind them they wil do the same.

I would like to know how Android tablet makers are profiting from the Android market. Who gets the lion's share of profits after the developers? Google or the tablet manufacturer?
    Try taking your car back to the dealer when they offer a large cashback reward two days after you buy your car and see how far that gets you.

When you bought your TouchPad, you decided it was worth $499. HP has seen, however, that everyone likes it more at $399. That doesn't change what you think it was worth. If you think something will be cheaper later, then wait before you buy. Otherwise, welcome to capitalism.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    CGK, companies like HP and Microsoft enter premium markets and drive down prices because the have the resources to do so.

This is back to front, competition drives down prices in premium markets - if you are enter a premium market still subject to month on month growth and within a month, you need to knock a $100 off your device, then that says more about your handling of your product that the market. Yes overall, a low price strategy will lead to volume (well maybe) but it also leads to low margins and low quality of profits. Also people get confused about the resources of an organisation at the overall level and within individual markets - HP simply does not have the scale of Apple within the mobile and tablet spaces, at the moment nobody does - that will change but we aren't there yet.

HP knows that the true value in the mobile market is not the hardware, it's the software (apps).
    This is a bit of a myth, Apple has the biggest app market by far but the majority of it's profits are from hardware (people should really start reading Asymco for decent numbers based analysis of what's happening in the mobile space). The narrative only becomes about apps if you are unable to convince enough people to pay a premium price for your device.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/11/2011 at 07:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is a bit of a myth, Apple has the biggest app market by far but the majority of it's profits are from hardware (people should really start reading Asymco for decent numbers based analysis of what's happening in the mobile space). The narrative only becomes about apps if you are unable to convince enough people to pay a premium price for your device.
    I keep trying to tell people that are comparing this to the console video game market, that the margins are completely different in mobile electronics vs proprietary console video games.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    ahhh! gotta hurry and return my touchpad before it's too late!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12